• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He sold it auction, IIRC.  That jacket.... man.  My only LP brand finds are a cashmere tie I kept and a shirt that had a hole in it- still sold it, still made money on it, but ugh.  I've never even found a Barbour jacket - my nicest outerwear find at a true thrift is probably an Orvis Bandera jacket that was stone mint, sold for $300.  That LP jacket is like hitting the jackpot - like the one guy who found a first edition Great Gatsby worth quite a bit, apologies, I don't remember the nick.  You don't go out hoping for that every time - gotta put together base hits and every now and then a grand slam is a welcome surprise.  At least that's my mentality, which I know a lot of guys here share.

I actually started out in Cleveland.  There's some really really good stuff up there.  More than down here in Columbus, for sure.  I never found Kiton up there, though I heard tell of several finds.  Have you been to Cuffs at Chagrin Falls?  It's really awesome.  That's where your Kiton jacket came from, if I recognized that snippet of label you showed in the one picture.

That jacket looks pretty awesome.  I assume you're trying to sell it; if so, just make sure you have good pics and description, and do not hesitate to describe any issues or flaws, and it'll sell itself.  Really gotta try to let the stuff sell itself.

Okay, I've whiled away enough time on here for one morning.  Good to hang out for a bit. :)

That's surprising. I'm from NE Ohio and have lived in Columbus as well. The Saks 5th Avenues I have been to in Cleveland and Columbus had mostly junk. I didn't think you could even find the grail brands in those cities at full retail, for the most part. I've never thrifted in either place, though.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy ****! And out of the woodwork he comes! Good to see you man.

Hey @jebarne this is the guy who hooked us(you) up on that suit a while back.
yep. I've seen him pop in and out a few times over the last couple of months.

I've only worn the suit to the one event, but its hanging in a dust bag in my closet. It was an excellent pickup and showed me another value of this thread.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's surprising. I'm from NE Ohio and have lived in Columbus as well. The Saks 5th Avenues I have been to in Cleveland and Columbus had mostly junk. I didn't think you could even find the grail brands in those cities at full retail, for the most part. I've never thrifted in either place, though.

my condolences… Cleveland is a black hole of anything even remotely stylish.

aglose

Reaction score

Found this from a few weeks ago at school. Size L if anyone is interested.

highvoltorb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I found an LP raincoat in Columbus. LP jeans in Ashland once. Momotaro in Columbus was probably my best find.

div25sec9

Reaction score

Helmut Lang shirt from 1997 - NWOT

13398822293_8db57bc7f5_c.jpg

13398822773_8a71f2644b_z.jpg

That isn't even close to being NWOT. I hope you aren't trying to sell as such. The tag is worn and frayed from a couple of laundry trips.

Don't give up hope. If you keep at it, great pieces do show up. I'm a casual thrifter (compared to most on this board) and come across great pieces occasionally that are not from my town; there are no retailers of the brands anywhere close. People move around for business all the time or order stuff in; so it does show up occasionally.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this the stuff that's made by Oxxford? The buttons are similar to ones on my Oxxford Crest jacket that I eventually swapped for MOP. (Humblebrag)
I'm not 100%, but I believe the Filo A' Mano and the Sartoria were the full canvas options in their Italian fit lines. I think they were made by English American.

I love the Filo A' Mano, but every oxxford I've actually seen was a higher quality level than the Tom James lines. IA expanded the Oxxford footprint by letting the Tom James sales reps sell Oxxford bespoke suits a few years ago.

I think Oxxford and Adrian Jules are the only remaining grade 6 suit makers in the USA.

I've noticed that IA has subtly changed their visibility model as the holding company. last year, you could follow links to all their holdings from any of their companies, not any more.

As Far as I remember, they still make H. Freeman, Tom James, Coppley, Oxxford, Holland and Sherry, Gittman Brothers, a Suit factory in Chili, a couple of m2m shirt companies. and I'm sure I'm leaving someone out.

Long answer to say I don't think Oxxford made your FAM.

jdrizzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A.p.c. New standard size 31 on top, Luciano Barbera plaid L? , white Wingtip nwt Borelli size 18 but with stain near the neck, hand stitching, best quality I've dealt with, tori Richard L, brioni French cuff, and green Paisley Stefano ricci.

Basted shut pockets, looks like a 48r, or 50r
Hickey bespoke

Comme des GARCONS pour homme small, second cdg piece in two weeks. :slayer:

Last edited:

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not 100%, but I believe the Filo A' Mano  and the Sartoria were the full canvas options in their Italian fit lines. I think they were made by English American.

I love the Filo A' Mano, but every oxxford I've actually seen was a higher quality level than the Tom James lines. IA expanded the Oxxford footprint by letting the Tom James sales reps sell Oxxford bespoke suits a few years ago. 

I think Oxxford and Adrian Jules are the only remaining grade 6 suit makers in the USA.

I've noticed that IA has subtly changed their visibility model as the holding company. last year, you could follow links to all their holdings from any of their companies, not any more. 

As Far as I remember, they still make H. Freeman, Tom James, Coppley, Oxxford, Holland and Sherry, Gittman Brothers, a Suit factory in Chili, a couple of m2m shirt companies. and I'm sure I'm leaving someone out. 

i didnt know suit makers were graded on a numerical basis. i have much to learn. i have a recent, mint oxxford blazer just gathering dust in my closet. its SUPER nice.

ReubenR

Reaction score
I'm not 100%, but I believe the Filo A' Mano and the Sartoria were the full canvas options in their Italian fit lines. I think they were made by English American.

I've got a trio of Adrian Jules suit for my basics (navy worsted and charcoal and navy flannels), and they are very very nice suits. Glad to see my impressions confirmed.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i didnt know suit makers were graded on a numerical basis. i have much to learn. i have a recent, mint oxxford blazer just gathering dust in my closet. its SUPER nice.
I didn't either until I started having my suits made. As I understand it (and I would bet Orgetorix would know the full history here) is that the union created designations for factories based on the skills that were required to make the clothes in that factory. It wasn't until later that the makers started advertising based on the union designation of their factory.

A really nice M2m, full canvas, has a shot at being a grade 5, though it could be a grade 3 or 4, depending on who makes it, and other choices, amount of handwork etc. I would consider a golden fleece as a grade 5 when made by MG, not sure today. I would put the 1818 line at 3+ or 4.

When I was shopping around, they typically referred to Grade 6 guys as "bench-grade" suits with almost all the finishing done by hand. And when I checked, everyone was outsourcing to either Oxxford or (most common) Adrian Jules. I don't know where the Corneliani, Canali, Brioni etc m2m's would rate quality wise but I would guess 5 equivalent. Canali is taking over the m2m business from Joseph Aboud since Men's wearhouse bought them. Full Canvas. Nice product that almost anyone on this forum would happy to have in a 10 suit work rotation, but I'm guessing the price point they want is sub $1500, which means a few compromises, so I'm guessing Grade 4. Still damn good and a great work horse suit in a rotation. If, like me, you went to Nordstroms, Dillards, Belk, Macy's and bought the HSM, RRL, Joseph Aboud or Hickey Freeman, you were likely buying a grade 3 suit and were thrilled to have it. Now, you won't pay $15 for one of those in like new condition at goodwill.

Would be interesting to find what went into the criteria chosen for the different grades. Wonder if Jeffreyd has ever discussed.

Waiting to hear of one of my guy's occasional 20% off sales because I want to have a 1/4 lined A Jules blazer made for the summer.

Even at that, a top tailor (like Despos) who makes a pattern for you, uses the best fabrics, hand fits you a couple of times in the process will be vastly superior to that, but at 2x or even 3x the price.

If I was younger and better looking, It might be worth it.

naaaaah.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found an LP raincoat in Columbus. LP jeans in Ashland once. Momotaro in Columbus was probably my best find.
Nice!

I found an LP cashmere tie in Columbus, Malo cashmere tie, I've found a RLPL cashmere sc, shawl-collar cashmere sweater, several shirts, some ties, Brioni shirts, Borrelli shirts, an Alexander McQueen shirt, and most proudly of all, four Kiton shirts (probably from Jay L. Schottenstein judging from the monogram). There would occasionally be some saweet stuff at Filene's when they were still open - sadly, the area TJMaxx's tend to mark up higher in the rare occasion they get anything good. The memories of those $30 Tom Ford, Kiton and RLPL ties still makes me sigh. ;)

Suits and sport coats can be a very mixed lot. The most common finds in the long run are Canali and maybe Zegna, as that is a lot of what Godfry's sells. They also sell a bit of Luciano Barbera, but I've yet to see one of those at thrift. I do know Godfry's specifically refers their customers to one particular consignment shop. The owner's really nice, if you want to stop by he'll often work with you on price, though it is definitely consignment. PM me if you want a reference and the deets.

Sadly, for me, shoes seem to be very rare at thrift here. I've found a couple pair of Aldens, one of which even fit (!) and several vintage shell pairs from various brands, but never anything amazing. This is probably because you literally cannot buy any good shoe here - even Alden the closest sales are in Cleveland and Cincy. I found far more in Cleveland.

Oh, and the Saks suck, agreed. I saw ONE Brioni pocket square there once and it was the highest-end thing in the whole place. I'm not very hopeful for the Off Fifth opening here as I assume it will mostly be dreck from the Columbus store. Might get some cheap Robert Grahams to flip, I guess, on their coupon/sale combos, though.

You guys are giving me the itch, I'm going to hit a store or two on the way home. Save me the time, anyone been to Gahanna GW today? ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads