• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bahljs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...which is to say, there is another thread geared towards discussing buying & selling on eBay, which is where all the dirty flip talk goes on, and is a valuable resource as well:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/309281/buying-and-selling-on-ebay-tips-tricks-problems-questions/0_30

Sharing your finds will always be welcome here, and folks occasionally do derail into resale value and such, but many of the people here don't want to read all that, hence the dedicated thread.
Appreciate that plug. Thanks to all who have already helped me only 6 posts in. Love this thread and am learning so much.

highvoltorb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude! There's a Melt in Columbus now! It's mind-blowingly awesome.

Wait, you're in Columbus too?

...sounds like its time I made a road trip to Cleveland. Not that I need an excuse to hit up the home of Melt: Bar & Grilled.

It's been way too long since I've been to The Melt. And I've been meaning to thrift Cleveland forever. I could probably do it this weekend too since I'm in Mansfield right now.

ReubenR

Reaction score
It's the workhorse. Good solid construction, but not all that special. Well made, and made in America, but I don't think it gives anyone a boner. Could be wrong, though.
Depends on the Southwick. Between the shoulders, roll, and cut, some of the older ones are 100% grade-A trad Appreciation.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you adjust it? I had it pulled way in to fit my mannequin. If not, a tailor could add a strap to that and make it work.
I did adjust it out on the one side (opposite of the elastic, which doesn't adjust). Still too small haha.

You totes shouldn't have left those behind.
lol8[1].gif

lol

i was more re-posting b/c someone had said they had wanted to the handiwork on the LP and might have missed em.
I wanted to see it, but guess I missed it.

I picked up a full Loro Piana suit a few weeks ago and I can say without a doubt, it was the nicest suit I've ever laid hands on.
Deets?

Would love to see it!
+1

Before I started posting here, I would dress Oscar (my mannequin) every night with the clothes I was going to wear the next day.
lol8%5B1%5D.gif
Scary to think of how you dress oscar...

I'm going to assume the last 678 posts don't contain anyone wanting to desperately trade anything in my size, so I'll just continue running on a major sleep deficit and otherwise ignoring Styleforum.

These first two days at home with a +1 have been interesting, to say the least.
Damn dude, I feel for you. I remember our first one at home for the first time. It was like saying to each other every 10 minutes "now what do we do?". Theres no manual, no book, directions or the slightest guidance. Instead, you just roll with the punches, and before long, the days fly by, and you get the hang of it.

We will be bringing another one home in a few months, and am re-acclimating myself to doing this all over again.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick shot of yesterday's stuff because I'm prolly going to be too busy for a while to do any better. Store #1. All available in the 44L range Canali, BB/Isaia, BBGF/(Martin Greenfield?), Hugo Boss/ebay fodder Store #2, TJ Maxx + Ebayed. Borrelli, CN, brown Moschino and potentially Corneliani are available. Store #3. Sweater and SC are available. Ascot Chang polo; 100% cashmere (NCLB) seafoam v neck, Tom James (42R; Holland & Sherry; Dual vent with keeper)
Is this the stuff that's made by Oxxford? The buttons are similar to ones on my Oxxford Crest jacket that I eventually swapped for MOP. (Humblebrag)
Store #4. RLPL, Stuart and Burberry are available PRL/Corneliani (~42R), Paul Stuart/Samuelsohn (42R), RLPL (17.5), Burberry/HF (44L)

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is this the stuff that's made by Oxxford? The buttons are similar to ones on my Oxxford Crest jacket that I eventually swapped for MOP. (Humblebrag)
No, the Oxxford made stuff is actually called Oxxford Clothes for Tom James

This one is one of the upper middle tier lines. Above this you have Royal Classic, Ventura (Made in Italy) and then Oxxford

Last edited:

PdxTony43

Reaction score
I'm going to assume the last 678 posts don't contain anyone wanting to desperately trade anything in my size, so I'll just continue running on a major sleep deficit and otherwise ignoring Styleforum.

Hey I assume you mean +1 is a kid (if i missed something in the posts I apologize) congrats! yes kids are a ton of work that first few weeks.

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's been way too long since I've been to The Melt. And I've been meaning to thrift Cleveland forever. I could probably do it this weekend too since I'm in Mansfield right now. 

Whoa, Didn't realize I had this much competition in Columbus.

Dude!  There's a Melt in Columbus now!  It's mind-blowingly awesome.

...too many thrifters less than two hours north of me...
:)

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It gets easier, and quite quickly too.
Congratulations, by the way.

Bahljs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If anyone wants to hit up some thrifts, I'm down. I can show you all the three I go to and maybe some more if you're down. Let me know fellas.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh and I was wondering, how does Southwick compare to other brands?

It's the workhorse. Good solid construction, but not all that special. Well made, and made in America, but I don't think it gives anyone a boner. Could be wrong, though.

I'd agree - if you want more info on Southwick, you should check out the Ask Andy trad board, some of the old Southwick is really desirable over there.  Doesn't Southwick now make most of BB's stuff, even the Golden Fleece, though, after Martin Greenfield lost the job?  This may have changed in the year or two since I was familiar.

One of my favorite suits is vintage Southwick. Fantastic natural shoulders.

IMG_1415.jpg

BB does own Southwick now, and all the 1818 USA-made stuff is made there, IIRC. But they still sell stuff under the Southwick label.

No, the Oxxford made stuff is actually called Oxxford Clothes for Tom James

This one is one of the upper middle tier lines. Above this you have Royal Classic, Ventura (Made in Italy) and then Oxxford

I have found stuff from TJ where the labels don't mention Oxxford but I'd bet my back teeth it was made by them. Handpadded lapels, Oxxford's signature long buttonhole...can't imagine there's anybody else doing that same work for them.

Last edited:

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Open letter to panhandle florida thrifters: All your base are belong to us

Highlight: 20x new label nwot hickey freeman summer linen shirts.
30 pcs nwt/nwot BB everything
Pics later.
If you thrift for a living in the Destin Florida area, you might want to take the day off. Also, have to fly home in clients private jet, so have to find big box and post office so I dont have to explain myself. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members