• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seriously?

yup ive had a hard-on for him ever since he left me neutral feedback when he won a pair of new tom ford pants from me for like 25.00 like 2 years ago, i have no problem with what he does but dont advertise something as new when you bought it used.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know if any of you guys did, but I got in on that Vente Privee LVC sale last month, and the jeans finally came in. I wasn't too impressed with the ones I got to be honest (1947 rinse & 1954Z archive), but hey they seem to be flippable so everything is alright :). I was bummed because I've been needing a new pair of jeans, so what did I find on my way home from work?
Minty Surface to Air MIJ
Barely used PRPS Barracuda P45P28X
I don't think I'd be able to tell if these were used or not, RRL low straight patchwork selvedge
Some pretty wild RRL selvedge indigo pincheck work pants
Gant Rugger country twill brushed flannel
All my size :D
Wow! You lucked out! :slayer:
Couple things today: Nat, you ever seen this brand before? Made just a few miles from my hometown. My size and mint, keeping!
Wow, never seen that one! Cool!
This awesome deadstock, NWT Redhead hunting jacket. This one has all the bells and whistles. :slayer: Made right here in Chicago, this puts all those ****** 90's Redhead flannels I've come across to shame.
:wow: :wow: SCORE! Very jealous right now!
The coins are $5 Liberty coins from 1882 which according to http://www.coinstudy.com/liberty-ten-dollar-gold-coin-values.html are worth a minimum of $391 each. Everything else is made of gold as well and I have no idea what an actual value of them would be and I'm not sure if I can get the coins out (or if I would even want to). So one of the best finds from last year was a set of Tiffany's cufflinks that were sold for something like $800 and were paid $5 for. I technically paid $6 for these. We'll see. Either way, being honest is always worth it.
Nice! Those coins look to be in exceptional shape as well! I'd see if you can have them professionally removed and placed in protective plastic coin holders. Even though they are cool as cuff links, I think they'd be way better off in protectors in a safe or something. The value will only go up. http://www.coinsupplystore.com/marcus-plastic-2x2s-hds.html
Speaking of honesty, I just checked my credit card today which I paid in full last month. Turns out there's a credit of a little more than $400 sitting on it. Strange. So I looked into it and it seems to be from Best Buy, where I had recently purchased a TV for the same amount. So I called them up and discussed the situation, the TV was scheduled for in-sore pick up. I picked it up and had to sign and show valid ID for the TV. Somehow wires got crossed at BB and they never logged it as picked up. Long story short after looking at our options to resolve it, the call center manager said "Merry Christmas." There was literally nothing they could do now that the money had been credited back. So while it still seems weird I at least feel better that I tried to return the funds.
And, even though it wasn't thrifted, I think a NIB Samsung 32" LED TV for free is a pretty good "Thrift"
:slayer:
Is that OP? I had that same t shirt, in yellow when I was like 8. Awesome!
Nope, but definitely done in the same styling as was pretty common in the late 70's and early 80's. This mas made by Sherry which was based in Miami, Fla. I too had an almost identical shirt except mine was gray, white and light blue. I think the front graphic had a large sunset on the ocean with sailboats. Can't believe I remember that! Haha.
wow i hate this guy
He bought some stuff to flip from me on a Sunday that a big football game was going on. Mint Etro suit for like $80, super recent Givenchy plaid suit for $60, etc. Went insanely cheap. Not making that mistake again. Didn't stay tuned to watch what he flipped them for - ignorance is bliss.

Last edited:

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yup ive had a hard-on for him ever since he left me neutral feedback when he won a pair of new tom ford pants from me for like 25.00 like 2 years ago, i have no problem with what he does but dont advertise something as new when you bought it used.

Oooh gotcha, missed the NWOT listing. Shady

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NOt only did he lied about the condition of the suit, he also said he bought it from BG 2 years ago.
censored.gif

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift fit today. May it please the Court. (BTW, you asked for a tripod shot, you got it. But because I can't "pre focus" with me in the shot, the white balance is all off. So I took a couple the old fashioned way too)
Deets: Suit = St. Laurie Shirt = J Press Tie = White, tradly goodness Belt = nothing of consequence Sox = Pantherella Shoes = AE Park aves in Oxblood.
I'm bound and determined to hit at least 2 stores today. Wish me luck!
I think the self-shots have been throwing things off because the fit in the tripod shots is much better than the self-shots. Suit looks perfect.
+1. Try not putting your hands in your pockets too.

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Back from Vienna! Some pretty cool posts this afternoon. I'll get some pictures tomorrow, but nothing crazy. I did find a few things that were interesting and my rucksack was full when I made it home.

I have little experience with womenswear and purses, but has anyone ever seen a fake Tod's purse? I know they exist as a quick google search revealed, but it was my last purchase of the day and I am 99% sure it's fake :embar: Can't believe I let my guard down!

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't wanna :slapfight: :stirpot: but i've seen many exaggerations and a few outright lies regarding condition/provenance on listings by thrift thread regulars...

aglose

Reaction score

Alden's size 12. Worth the pick up? I picked them already so I hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads