• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdeep2001

Reaction score
Last edited:

aglose

Reaction score
Good. In that case anyone want to trade for some 12A/C? Alden tassel loafers? :) about 5 sizes too big for my not large feet.

mhtcjt37

Reaction score
Went in one shop today but was very happy with the result. Mind you, I'm in school in a small college town so the idea of finding anything remotely modern SW&D is insane.

Thread synergy FTW. Fits perfectly.

And something for Ebay

Last edited:

Pierce R

Reaction score
Johnston & Murphy driving loafers in chili. $5.99 minus a 10% military discount and they threw in the shoe trees. Out the door for under $6.00 with tax.

"I got these. . . for five bucks."
-- Steve Martin

Most comfortable Goddamn shoes I've ever owned.

Interestingly, they're the same size and color as the AE Ashtons I scored at the same place a few weeks ago, with matching shoe trees. I believe someone in my size is going through his closet. I'm gonna keep hitting that store every other day. Wish I could just find the guy and raid his shoe rack.

Crappy flash pic but great shoes.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

don't wanna :slapfight: :stirpot: but i've seen many exaggerations and a few outright lies regarding condition/provenance on listings by thrift thread regulars...

:lurk:

Provenance I can see, but how can you tell condition unless someone's already mentioned it here?

Last edited:

sn0wman

Reaction score
Quote:
That would work if you are worried about further damage. If you remove them from their mounts to have them professionally graded, they will come back marked as damaged / "removed from jewelry." They would always be "second class citizens" compared to coins that weren't in jewelry. Will never be worth less than their gold value though.. Since someone chose to do that to them, I say wear them, look like a million bucks! (and don't get mugged :) )

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
nope, send them to me instead. but for real lets figure out a trade or something...

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Good luck.  Any tips on how to reunite orphans? 

First things first. Call social services to apply for an orphan reuniting permit.

Once you have the proper credentials, simply find a fantastic suit jacket...such as the Hermes I was working on. Carry it around the store looking for its mate. Start in the men's, the most likely place. Don't overlook the potential for it to be improperly paired with another jacket or on the floor under the rack. Changing room racks. Womens racks.

Keep your fingers crossed and your hopes down. There is no match more often than not, especially at stores like goodwill who have a central distribution center.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Also, big shout outs to Papa-Spoo-meister for hooking me up with 3 Italian bespoke SCs in a trade!!!! Remember those from days ago?! I was super lucky to get all three since 2 gents passed due to fit issue! Those fit me like a glove!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU, SPOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
He even shipped them to me using priority mail due to personal reasons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Spoo is da man. Period. Let's all love him!!!!!!!!!!!!
nod%5B1%5D.gif

Mega props to you for a smooth as a babys ass trade and super happy on this end too :slayer:

STORY TIME

I just started tutoring in an area about an hour away from my house and it's a pretty nice area. Decided I'd try stopping by one of their thrift stores as I had an extra 20 minutes to kill. Wasn't finding too much, went back to the suit section and immediately pulled this jacket out because the pattern looked so nice. Turns out it's a J. Press 3/2. First time I've ever found J. Press. Probably 42-44, haven't measured yet. Small moth hole on the back. Some quick pics.

Anyway, as I pick it up I notice something heavy in the pocket. I pick it out and it's a little bag that's quite literally full of gold. About 5 pairs of cufflinks, a bracelet, and a wedding band with an inscription on it. So me being an honest person, I found someone who worked there and showed her. She was extremely grateful for my honesty. We ended up talking for about 10 minutes about it. She told me that someone may end up getting fired for not finding it which made me pretty sad. She said that they most likely wouldn't be able to figure out who donated it and she said I could have a pair of cufflinks in the bag if I wanted to. Without thinking I grabbed two with gold coins on them. They look like this.

The coins are $5 Liberty coins from 1882 which according to http://www.coinstudy.com/liberty-ten-dollar-gold-coin-values.html are worth a minimum of $391 each. Everything else is made of gold as well and I have no idea what an actual value of them would be and I'm not sure if I can get the coins out (or if I would even want to). So one of the best finds from last year was a set of Tiffany's cufflinks that were sold for something like $800 and were paid $5 for. I technically paid $6 for these. We'll see. Either way, being honest is always worth it.

Someone mark this down for thrift of the year nominations.

chicanery

great word, not used often enough, and may be a first in this thread.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One stop, two interesting pickups. Bruno Magli cap toes (used a few time at most), and on the vintage Aloha Shirt theme, a Hookano shirt (1960s?) in minty condition. XXXL!! Perfect for the Bay.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Someone mark this down for thrift of the year nominations.
great word, not used often enough, and may be a first in this thread.

I was thinking the same thing. FWIW, it would have been entirely legal for him to empty the pockets and leave without buying the jacket. When a similar issue (but not this cool) came up awhile back on the thread, I asked my lawyer about it and it's the same as finding the ring, links, etc. on a sidewalk. So long as something is in a place accessible to the public, and a jacket pocket in a thrift store qualifies, it's fair game. Nonetheless, a cool story and some cool coins.

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was thinking the same thing. FWIW, it would have been entirely legal for him to empty the pockets and leave without buying the jacket. When a similar issue (but not this cool) came up awhile back on the thread, I asked my lawyer about it and it's the same as finding the ring, links, etc. on a sidewalk. So long as something is in a place accessible to the public, and a jacket pocket in a thrift store qualifies, it's fair game. Nonetheless, a cool story and some cool coins.

I was that earlier issue and got quite a bit of flack for it.

VINDICATED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads