• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

don't wanna :slapfight: :stirpot: but i've seen many exaggerations and a few outright lies regarding condition/provenance on listings by thrift thread regulars...

Regarding provenance... Are we supposed to list thrift shop finds as such? If not, we're all bending the truth.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's just outrageous. yet, ebay will let people get away with that kind of chicanery, as long as they are big enough sellers. stuff like that should be grounds for getting your account terminated
Hold on, brb, getting my dictionary!
biggrin.gif

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yup ive had a hard-on for him ever since he left me neutral feedback when he won a pair of new tom ford pants from me for like 25.00 like 2 years ago, i have no problem with what he does but dont advertise something as new when you bought it used.
Yeah, its the dishonesty that gets me too with WNS. Capitalism I'm OK with. Fraud, not so much.
don't wanna :slapfight: :stirpot: but i've seen many exaggerations and a few outright lies regarding condition/provenance on listings by thrift thread regulars...
From the first item I sold, I have done my best to be disclose every defect I've found, and have tried not to commit to provenance without some reasonable quantum of supporting evidence, and where there is ambiguity, I note the ambiguity. If anyone ever sees one of my auctions and notices something I missed or attributed, please let me know. Not trying to be a hero here. I genuinely care about getting it right. WWCD (What Would Cap'n Do)
+1. Try not putting your hands in your pockets too.
Like this?
Personally, I think the robo pose sucks. But that's just me. Plus, it was the least in focus of them all.
First things first. Call social services to apply for an orphan reuniting permit. Once you have the proper credentials, simply find a fantastic suit jacket...such as the Hermes I was working on. Carry it around the store looking for its mate. Start in the men's, the most likely place. Don't overlook the potential for it to be improperly paired with another jacket or on the floor under the rack. Changing room racks. Womens racks. Keep your fingers crossed and your hopes down. There is no match more often than not, especially at stores like goodwill who have a central distribution center.
Just be careful. reuniting orphans is a VERY time consuming passtime. If you're not careful, a quick 30 minute stop can turn into a 3 hour saga to find the missing trou to that 35 year old Oxxford with the boxy cut and the low gorge. Is it a noble beast that deserves salvation? Yes. Is it worth 3 hours of your time? Well, only you can answer that question.
Bragging from my personal collection (a few might be reposts, but dont remember, sorry in advance, majority are not) but all were thrifted or e-thrifted by me. All available for trade of like quality ties (3.5" or under) only....
Some excellent stuff. I think the polka dot Canali is my fave. A long time ago, I did a "thrifted up shirt/tie Appreciation" post, a la the "folded up shirt p0rn" and "rolled up tie p0rn" threads elsewhere. Maybe I'm overdue, since my collection has turned over so much. My goal was 2 stores, but I only hit 1. Just a measly Burberry blazer. BUT it is dual vented double breasted with chrome logo buttons, so not dissimilar to the Huntsman I posted a fit of a while back. Haven't measured, but I eyeball it in the 42-44 range, so if anyone's interested, get @ me.

Last edited:

Raist

Reaction score
Are Johnston and Murphy any good? They're all over in the thrift shops here and I've always left them because I figured if they were that plentiful there must not be much of a market. If they are good, how good are they for flipping if not in my size?

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Are Johnston and Murphy any good? They're all over in the thrift shops here and I've always left them because I figured if they were that plentiful there must not be much of a market. If they are good, how good are they for flipping if not in my size?
If they are "all over" dosnt that give you a clue......you prob want to look for the stuff that is a little harder to find, just a thought. Second, do you have google or better yet a membership to ebay completed listings? I could help you out as I have google AND a special gold membership to ebay completed listings, but am busy listing things I actually spent time researching before buying, sorry.

Honestly 100% not trying to be a dick (hopefully the word dick dosnt start a 500 post tangent), but you make it very hard (see what I did there??)

Like this?

Personally, I think the robo pose sucks. But that's just me. Plus, it was the least in focus of them all.
I'm no expert, but a tad tight in the chest and either long in suit sleeves or short in shirt sleeves, I dont see any cuff sticking out. Pants look good though, IMO

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are Johnston and Murphy any good?  They're all over in the thrift shops here and I've always left them because I figured if they were that plentiful there must not be much of a market.  If they are good, how good are they for flipping if not in my size?

The old Aristocraft line is decent stuff (Allen Edmonds–level) if you find it in good condition. I picked up a pair of J&M Aristocraft burgundy short wings in my size last week and like them a lot. Don't bother with them for flipping, unless it's new old stock or something.

Last edited:

Raist

Reaction score
If they are "all over" dosnt that give you a clue......you prob want to look for the stuff that is a little harder to find, just a thought. Second, do you have google or better yet a membership to ebay completed listings? I could help you out as I have google AND a special gold membership to ebay completed listings, but am busy listing things I actually spent time researching before buying, sorry.

Honestly 100% not trying to be a dick (hopefully the word dick dosnt start a 500 post tangent), but you make it very hard (see what I did there??)

I'm no expert, but a tad tight in the chest and either long in suit sleeves or short in shirt sleeves, I dont see any cuff sticking out. Pants look good though, IMO
The "all over" is exactly the clue that has made me NOT BUY ANY, thus my saying I've ALWAYS LEFT THEM. I do have google and didn't find anything that would lead me to believe they were worth going back to the store to buy. But when I see a member who is talking about picking some up I figure maybe there's something that I'm missing. I didn't know ebay had a special membership for completed listings so I did actually get something I can use out of your post. Thank you. I can understand the frustration with a noob who asks a question without trying to do the research first so I didn't think you were trying to be a dick until you said you could help me but wouldn't. That was kind of a dick thing to say. That being said, I respect your experience and I have thick skin so no offense was taken. And yes, I did see what you did there. You made an elementary play on words. Bravo.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn't. He was just being a dick.

The "all over" is exactly the clue that has made me NOT BUY ANY, thus my saying I've ALWAYS LEFT THEM. I do have google and didn't find anything that would lead me to believe they were worth going back to the store to buy. But when I see a member who is talking about picking some up I figure maybe there's something that I'm missing. I didn't know ebay had a special membership for completed listings so I did actually get something I can use out of your post. Thank you. I can understand the frustration with a noob who asks a question without trying to do the research first so I didn't think you were trying to be a dick until you said you could help me but wouldn't. That was kind of a dick thing to say. That being said, I respect your experience and I have thick skin so no offense was taken. And yes, I did see what you did there. You made an elementary play on words. Bravo.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. Try not putting your hands in your pockets too.
Like this?
Yeah, it's not the most exciting pose—but it does better allow us to admire the awesome fit/make annoyingly nitpicky comments about the fit. With arms raised and hands in pockets, it's hard to get a good sense of how the garment fits.

Last edited:

Raist

Reaction score
The old Aristocraft line is decent stuff (Allen Edmonds–level) if you find it in good condition. I picked up a pair of J&M Aristocraft burgundy short wings in my size last week and like them a lot. Don't bother with them for flipping, unless it's new old stock or something.
Thanks. I appreciate the advice. I may look a little closer next time, if they're in my size.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, it's not the most exciting pose—but it does better allow us to admire the awesome fit/make annoyingly nitpicky comments about the fit. With arms raised and hands in pockets, it's hard to get a good sense of how the garment fits.

Exactly.

Edit: What I mean is: I've got my own on the fit. I don't buy stuff bespoke or even MTM. And I'm not prepared to pay $20 to have a sleeve taken up 0.5" -- especially since nobody other than the people on this website are ever going to notice. On here, I'm more focused on mastering color block and pattern/texture exploration.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads