• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yesterday I snagged 8 coats/suits, an Hermes tie and a couple of Turnbull/Asser ties in the final 10 minutes before they closed. I went back today to finish looking at the ties and shirts. This is what I found:
Two perfectly fitting Turnbull & Asser white, textured, dress shirts with single cuffs (3 buttons).
My first Robert Graham shirt - wow, it is hideous. Various Neiman Marcus items, like these two tie/cummerbunds in black and red - and a leather pouch of Neiman Marcus collar stays An Italian almost t-shirt from Zegna
And my favorite - a new with tags Brioni pullover shirt:
Sounds like you may have found your personal honey-hole! Congrats!

silverwarebandit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if any of you guys did, but I got in on that Vente Privee LVC sale last month, and the jeans finally came in. I wasn't too impressed with the ones I got to be honest (1947 rinse & 1954Z archive), but hey they seem to be flippable so everything is alright :). I was bummed because I've been needing a new pair of jeans, so what did I find on my way home from work? Minty Surface to Air MIJ
Barely used PRPS Barracuda P45P28X
I don't think I'd be able to tell if these were used or not, RRL low straight patchwork selvedge
Some pretty wild RRL selvedge indigo pincheck work pants
Gant Rugger country twill brushed flannel
All my size :D

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple things today:
Nat, you ever seen this brand before? Made just a few miles from my hometown. My size and mint, keeping!

J Crew blazer for the wife

Something I was looking for, navy textured silk tie, BB makers.

This awesome deadstock, NWT Redhead hunting jacket. This one has all the bells and whistles. :slayer: Made right here in Chicago, this puts all those ****** 90's Redhead flannels I've come across to shame.

And finally, an epic, 3 way, cross country, orphan, reverse orphan reunion, courtesy of Pnut and the Capt'! Sadly, I think the jacket is too long, but I'm going to talk to my tailor and see what she as to say about it.

highvoltorb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
STORY TIME

I just started tutoring in an area about an hour away from my house and it's a pretty nice area. Decided I'd try stopping by one of their thrift stores as I had an extra 20 minutes to kill. Wasn't finding too much, went back to the suit section and immediately pulled this jacket out because the pattern looked so nice. Turns out it's a J. Press 3/2. First time I've ever found J. Press. Probably 42-44, haven't measured yet. Small moth hole on the back. Some quick pics.

Anyway, as I pick it up I notice something heavy in the pocket. I pick it out and it's a little bag that's quite literally full of gold. About 5 pairs of cufflinks, a bracelet, and a wedding band with an inscription on it. So me being an honest person, I found someone who worked there and showed her. She was extremely grateful for my honesty. We ended up talking for about 10 minutes about it. She told me that someone may end up getting fired for not finding it which made me pretty sad. She said that they most likely wouldn't be able to figure out who donated it and she said I could have a pair of cufflinks in the bag if I wanted to. Without thinking I grabbed two with gold coins on them. They look like this.

The coins are $5 Liberty coins from 1882 which according to http://www.coinstudy.com/liberty-ten-dollar-gold-coin-values.html are worth a minimum of $391 each. Everything else is made of gold as well and I have no idea what an actual value of them would be and I'm not sure if I can get the coins out (or if I would even want to). So one of the best finds from last year was a set of Tiffany's cufflinks that were sold for something like $800 and were paid $5 for. I technically paid $6 for these. We'll see. Either way, being honest is always worth it.

Last edited:

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
**** was dope. Bill (gent in the hat) easily out steezed everyone there.

Everyone say hi to future Gov of CA.

Ok, just got the approval to post a few pics from tonight. We did our gangstah post and had those pics taken by Gus, the organizer! Can't wait to see those pics in HD!

Ahem. Lightweight...

Holy ****! Just found out Bulleit is 90 proof!
wow.gif

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This awesome deadstock, NWT Redhead hunting jacket. This one has all the bells and whistles. :slayer: Made right here in Chicago, this puts all those ****** 90's Redhead flannels I've come across to shame.

dang.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

STORY TIME
I just started tutoring in an area about an hour away from my house and it's a pretty nice area. Decided I'd try stopping by one of their thrift stores as I had an extra 20 minutes to kill. Wasn't finding too much, went back to the suit section and immediately pulled this jacket out because the pattern looked so nice. Turns out it's a J. Press 3/2. First time I've ever found J. Press. Probably 42-44, haven't measured yet. Small moth hole on the back. Some quick pics.

Anyway, as I pick it up I notice something heavy in the pocket. I pick it out and it's a little bag that's quite literally full of gold. About 5 pairs of cufflinks, a bracelet, and a wedding band with an inscription on it. So me being an honest person, I found someone who worked there and showed her. She was extremely grateful for my honesty. We ended up talking for about 10 minutes about it. She told me that someone may end up getting fired for not finding it which made me pretty sad. She said that they most likely wouldn't be able to figure out who donated it and she said I could have a pair of cufflinks in the bag if I wanted to. Without thinking I grabbed two with gold coins on them. They look like this.

The coins are $5 Liberty coins from 1882 which according to http://www.coinstudy.com/liberty-ten-dollar-gold-coin-values.html are worth a minimum of $391 each. Everything else is made of gold as well and I have no idea what an actual value of them would be and I'm not sure if I can get the coins out (or if I would even want to). So one of the best finds from last year was a set of Tiffany's cufflinks that were sold for something like $800 and were paid $5 for. I technically paid $6 for these. We'll see. Either way, being honest is always worth it.

Awesome! Props to you for letting them know. Those coins are neat.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
STORY TIME

This is awesome! And to think I get stoked when I find a dollar bill in pants pockets...

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

div25sec9

Reaction score
Is this the Dior I'm looking for?

Damn, I thought this would have gotten at least a couple of laughs. Faked Dior Monseaur marked up.

The markups at thrifts provide me with both anger and laughs. They marked up a fake Dior, but missed the Oxxford jacket, only $8.99 (a steal here in Canada)!

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thrift fit. Vintage Columbia duck shirt. And also I was wearing that blaze orange Lo hunting jacket

Damn, now I know who to hit up when I find those things...
fistbump.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads