1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Well-Known Member

+1 I have 1/2 a dozen linen BR shirts for the summer. Most I got off the bay for ~$8 shipped each. So they make it one season I am happy. I am a linen fiend, I have 20+ linen shirts, 2 linen pants (looking for more), 3 linen jackets. BR makes decent linen shirts, they look great with some chinos.

2. mrjester

mrjester Well-Known Member

Wow. Great collection. I need to look at some BR linen shirts. The problem is a lot of them are button-down collars with no roll. I'm a fan of the BD collar, but only have one. I am not a fan of a BD collar with no roll.

I do have a family member that works at BR and gets 50% off though. More during seasonal times. So that's convincing.

3. My Main Man

My Main Man Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. I'm yet another lurker and this is my first post. ilikethelights sent me a link to this board a while back and I've been reading it daily since he did.

Anyway, I've been having some crazy luck lately. Even last weekend, when I was at GW and saw a flipper who had just ransacked the ties/shirts/suits (possibly one of you?), a store employee came out with a fresh pile of ties and I ended up grabbing 8 of the 11 Brooks Brothers ties, a Canali and a really ugly Brioni. Yesterday, I stopped at a place near my work on my lunch break, thinking I'd walk away empty-handed, and found this haul (sorry for the shit pictures. i was in a hurry.):

Florsheim Imperials:
    [​IMG]

clockwise from top left: BB cashmere/cotton blend, vintage Levi's, Pendleton, slim fit BB, Enro
    [​IMG]

Then things got good...

[​IMG]

Three-piece Armani suit #1:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Three-piece Armani suit #2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This I need some help with. There's no labeling at all on the jacket or pants.

Lining:
    [​IMG]

Pocket lining:
    [​IMG]

So it's Hugo Boss. I've only been around the low-end Hugo Boss stuff and I dislike it. This suit is incredible, though. At first, I almost passed it up, because it wasn't labeled, but then I did a little sleuthing and found the pocket lining.

The Georgio Armani label on the second suit is the only label on any of the suits. Anyone know why that would be? They are 3 of the nicest suits I've ever handled though and they're mint.

So that was my lunchtime haul yesterday. I'll pick through my faves of the last month or so and do another post later today or tomorrow. I'll also get some better pics of the suits from up there /\.

Nice to e-meet everyone.

4. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Armani is fake right? There was some discussion a long time back about the lining not having the eagle logo, but I can't remember which line had it/didn't. This leads me to believe Versace-Boss is too? :laugh: Not sure, but doesn't look good to me.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  5. My Main Man

Figured it was too good to be true. :( The three suits were cheap as hell, so it's no big loss by any means. I'll throw them in a garage sale and make my money back. They're still insanely well made even if they're fakes. I'd totally wear them if they weren't a tad too small on me.

6. CesarC

CesarC Well-Known Member

Welcome to the thread. Unfortunately, those suits look to be fake. The eagle logo on Armani stuff is reserved for Emporio Armani, should not read Giorgio Armani. As for the other one, the lining has a medusa-head emblem that is definitely knock-off Versace, but then the pants have the Boss name on them -- if the fabrics match, then this is a really puzzling combination of mis-matched brands. At any rate, Armani, Versace, and Boss are some of the most-faked brands out there, so I'd be wary in the future as I'm pretty sure both suits are fake. That said, if they're for you and they fit well, why not wear them anyway? But fakeness probably explains why others passed on them. Feel free to share on FaceOfBoh's thread on fake and funny labels
    EDIT: others beat me to it

7. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Well-Known Member

I too am a fiend. I love linen! Summer here is especially short so I usually wear something linen 3 or 4 times a week.

Did you ever see that early photo on the Sartorialist (maybe it's in his book) of the guy in Italy whose wearing his father's suit? It's got this lovely patina and is wearing through at the cuffs and hem. It was fantastic. A true heirloom item.

And Typhoid Jones recently had a linen suit from c. 1938 for sale. I'm not sure if it's still on his site at Etsy. It was :drool:. My size too. But way too $$$ for me.

8. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

Speaking of Linen, I really enjoyed the outfits in Great Gatsby Movie. Some of those Linen Suits were superb!

1 person likes this.
  9. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Well-Known Member

Thanks! I wouldn't have known what Cloak was if it wasn't for here! :slayer:

10. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Well-Known Member

Yeah, unfortunately I was on the MC Casual thread the other day and saw your new Luxire linen pants and have been restraining myself from buying them. Not very restrained, I have a pair of the red linen in my cart and trying not to pull the trigger now. I am heading down to Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard for a week soon and those will blend right in with the yachting crowd. Nothing like my wife asking

W: What is this $175 charge on the credit card?
    H: That is a pair of linen pants
    W:.... and???
    H: That's it, just a pair of pants
    W: My entire wardrobe for the summer is 9 years old and you spent $175 on 1 pair of pants
    H: Yes
    W: ....
    H: [​IMG]
    W: ....
    H:[​IMG]
    W....
    H: Should I get the blanket for the coach?
    W:[​IMG]

11. matty long legs

matty long legs Well-Known Member

You want Etro or Eton, not Enro.

12. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

haha, it's funny, just before my vacation, I tailored my thrifting habits to NOT skip BR since I was shopping for myself and picked up my entire vacation wardrobe as BR, Tommy Bahama (I was going to the beach after all), Lands End, and some great VV linen shorts. This thread could easily get out of hand if we all talked about the "just ok" stuff we found.
    I can't imagine they're worth anything as far as flipping, but I've seen some of the coolest polyester Rooster ties here, I just don't wear enough ties to buy a bunch for myself, so I look at them, say to myself "cool" then move on.
    That's why you need a PayPal CC. I haven't bought clothes in at least 6mos as far as W knows. [​IMG]

13. My Main Man

Should have clarified. These are all for me. Not to flip.

edit: the BB Cashmere blend will probably end up on eBay.

14. staxringold

staxringold Well-Known Member

So sad. Great looking Chipp tie... Big brown stain on the front.

15. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

whats the BB size?

16. My Main Man

Haven't done any measurements, but it's a Large. Red label, so classic fit? Not sure if they color code their casual shirts.

17. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Well-Known Member

At page 5114 so I can go back.
    First part of Haul, im going to try my best to get the other, better half up tonight.
    Recent HF suit for a BIG man. 56 Portly... Do we have/know anyone in this size?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Italy Polo, dual vent, ticket pocket, 100% linen black 40R sicknasty
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cherry popped, first BBGF w/o holes and shit. I think its like a 40R, don't quote me on that though. Single vent, solid grey, FF pants
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Another recent-ish HF suit, 40R
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    RT BoClass, sweet buttons, size M, couldn't leave it for $4
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Recent BBGF pinstripe... orphan. Anyone in the DFW area, get at me and ill tell you where to look for the pants, alternating white and beige pinstripe
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    44R dope as grey w/ blue check Recent Zegna suit pleated pants, but dual vent
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dirk Bikkembergs (can anyone tell me more about this, VLSI, I know you tried to sell one). I know its hard to tell but the pockets are weird, its solid black with what I think is an intentional sheen to the fabric, EU 54. I got this because it seems like something the local goth ninjas would like, if you're remotely interested ill send you clearer pics, I got it for ninja trade bait.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Really sweet casual solid navy SC, Vestimenta Fatto a mano, good for summer as its basically unlined/unstructured. 42R (if it was S i'd keep)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stay tuned chilluns, Kiton and Caruso(s) to come later.

1 person likes this.
  18. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

I am 99% sure I got this same one last week. Haven't gotten to that bag of stuff yet.

19. MZhammer

MZhammer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Gentlemen, I write for a website every now and then and I was hoping to get a few second looks at my latest article relating to setting up a basic wardrobe. Would anyone be willing to help a brother out and give me some constructive criticism?

I can email the article later this week once I finish the rough draft.

20. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

I am a grammar and diction nerd.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.