• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Aloha Shirt Thread

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought it was time for an Aloha shirt thread! Here we can rethink what we all know about the Aloha shirt (the nasty modern stuff dad wears on vacation) and instead concentrate on the beautiful vintage designs of the 1930's, 40's and 50's. Let's use this thread to share pictures and info on our vintage Aloha shirt finds and modern re-pops of these bold patterns.

One really good online resource is the Museum of Hawaiian Shirts: http://themohs.org/

From their Golden Age history page:

Lasting a mere two decades and beginning more than a half century ago, the “golden age” of Hawaiian shirts has left an enduring fashion legacy. Once you have worn a World War II-era vintage “silky” rayon “Hawaiian” or “aloha “shirt,” you begin to understand what attracts so many zealous collectors who are sometimes willing to pay what seems like incredulous sums of money for what many people refer to as “just a shirt.” It is these very qualities, however, that has helped the Hawaiian shirt mystique retain its popularity. [...] In addition to the immense enjoyment that one receives from owning and wearing these shirts is the knowledge that they have proven to be a worthwhile investment, not only financially but to help preserve what has become part of our American heritage.

One of the better books I've found on the subject is a beautiful coffee-table book called My Freedamn! Seven -- Vintage Beach Fashions by Rin Tanaka.

Here are a couple shots from the book to get you in the mood:

Last edited:

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First up are some pics from my recent score... a modern re-pop from Kamehameha (a company that goes back to 1936). This one is called "Lei Lady." -- 100% Rayon, Made in Hawaii, genuine coconut buttons, double needled sleeve and side seam, matched print pocket, top button collar tab,

Last edited:

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This one, also from Kamehameha, called "Tiger" 100% Rayon, Made in Hawaii, genuine coconut buttons, double needled sleeve and side seam, matched print pocket, top button collar tab.

Last edited:

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I admire the best Aloha shirts as art, but honestly they don't look good on anyone outside of the islands, and even then you've got to have a certain physique. The arms and body are just too blousy.

But the fabrics are fantastic, and I like that Gitman/WvG, even EG are making contemporary shirts with Aloha-type patterns.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I admire the best Aloha shirts as art, but honestly they don't look good on anyone outside of the islands, and even then you've got to have a certain physique. The arms and body are just too blousy.

But the fabrics are fantastic, and I like that Gitman/WvG, even EG are making contemporary shirts with Aloha-type patterns.

I'm a fan of having the tailor take about 1" off the sleeves. Here's Clooney rocking one and he could probably use the sleeve snip.

And then there's of course Elvis:

Anyway, Reyn Spooner has a new modern collection that is more closely fitting:

Last edited:

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Classic Hibiscus" by Kamehameha. 100% Rayon, Made in Hawaii, genuine coconut buttons, double needle flat felled seams, matched print pocket, top button collar tab.

Last edited:

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Hula Maid" vintage print from Go Barefoot. 100% Rayon, coconut shell buttons, Matched Print Engineered Patch Pocket, Made in Hawaii since 1957.

Louys

Reaction score
I approve of this thread, when I go home I'll post a rediculous and awesome print I got in Oahu. I agree though wit comments on fit though. The old silhouette needs to slim up a bit, it doesn't match the proportions of contemporary pieces.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
heck yeah! mo' bettah thread.

chinesealpha

Reaction score
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
***** yeah

This Adam Kimmel overdyed shirt will forever haunt my #missedopportunities

I've got a couple of vintage rayon shirts that make it into the regular summer rotation, kind of as a reminder that life is short; get a tan. That said, rayon is a pretty disgusting fabric to be wearing next to skin in humid weather. I've also got an obnoxious bark cloth (rough cotton) shirt in a fat old guy cut that I can't let go of. I've threatened to wear that shirt to dinner with my GF. Her fear was palpable.

Of course, a Japanese repro company is going to out-Hawaii Hawaii...

Sugar Cane at Self Edge... YOLO

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reyn Spooner reverse print "Spooner Cloth" floral:

Last edited:

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps my favorite.... "Koi" by Kamehameha. 100% Rayon, Made in Hawaii, genuine coconut buttons, double needle flat felled seams, matched print pocket, top button collar tab.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Diamond Head Sportswear, 100% Rayon, Made in Hawaii, genuine coconut buttons, top button collar tab.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bird of Paradise Kamehameha Aloha Shirt. 100% Rayon, Made in Hawaii, genuine coconut buttons, matched print pocket, top button collar tab.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads