• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hucklecat

Reaction score
You sure about that? I occasionally find items with the color of the week, granted these could have been missed. But, it seems like a lot of work for not much gain considering we are talking about items that have been on the shelves for four weeks taking up space and not selling. Or maybe you are only referring to the larger high retail items?
I am sure, at least in the denim jeans department. We try to go out on Saturday to "pre-plan" for Sunday sales. The jeans that should have been marked down are all missing on Sunday when the color changes and they go to 50% off. They appear the next week. After me noticing this trend I asked a couple of managers and yes.....they do remove them.

Really sucks considering they bale up a lot of this fabric and ship it off if it goes unsold after a certain period of time.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We try to go out on Saturday to "pre-plan" for Sunday sales.. 

.........wat? why. trying to understand why anybody would do this, unless you are some volume ebay flipper that makes money selling $12 abercrombie jeans

but regardless, if it's such a problem, just do what every other cheapskate thrifter does: take the jeans that are gonna be on sale, get a sportcoat, hang them over them, hang up combination in suit section, laugh hysterically when you buy them for half off the next day. i see soooooooo much stuff hidden in stores by people hoping it will make markdown

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gotta love eBay. These ended an hour or so ago in the same size and (I think) they're from your neck of the woods

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Levis-501-X...092&pid=100010&prg=1089&rk=1&sd=300834106833&

wow.gif

I must learn the secrets of "denim"....

mjt73106

Reaction score
My Goodwill rant. Goodwill of North Georgia on Saturday removes all the items that are scheduled for the 50% off color of the week and puts them in the back room. Takes a bit of the fun out of bargain shopping. The Goodwills still provide daily entertainment, got a Howard Miller Grandfather clock for $50.00 a couple of weeks back, pretty much perfect condition. And yet the people that price their items ask $50 for a Chinese Prada.
How it works at all of the Goodwills that I have shopped is that the 50% off color starts on Sunday. On Friday and Saturday the residual sale color items are started to be removed to be resold as bulk clothing to either be resold to other thrift operators or exported, usually to Africa, or Asia. So if you want to get the best deals on the 50% off stuff shop on Sunday or early in the week.

If you are really interested in how Goodwill is operated, check out this link. The US Department of Labor provides Goodwill Industries with waivers that they do not have to comply with minimum wage laws. With all of the Union haters focusing on Walmart, why not a focus on Goodwill Industries?

http://watchdog.org/56129/fl-florid...os-less-than-minimum-wage-for-some-employees/

mjt73106

Reaction score
.........wat? why. trying to understand why anybody would do this, unless you are some volume ebay flipper that makes money selling $12 abercrombie jeans
but regardless, if it's such a problem, just do what every other cheapskate thrifter does: take the jeans that are gonna be on sale, get a sportcoat, hang them over them, hang up combination in suit section, laugh hysterically when you buy them for half off the next day. i see soooooooo much stuff hidden in stores by people hoping it will make markdown
+1

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

With all of the Union haters focusing on Walmart, why not a focus on Goodwill Industries?

Gentlemen, let's disprove history and resist the temptation of being baited into a ludicrous, useless debate here.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked this up yesterday, may have been a huge mistake:
if it's any good, more pictures to come, when I have light

Gucci Tuxedo, jacket only, seems legit (fully canvased, surgeons cuff) but was hoping the tag might authenticate it.
I tore the store apart looking for the pants.

I picked this up a few weeks ago and it's my favorite find in months:

I was a huge Steve Martin fan as a kid, and still am really, would have jumped at this record anyways but this is autographed by Steve.

Speaking of records, I've been picking through the piles and buying some lately, just stuff I like, but I worry about where it's headed, easy to find stuff I like and cheap enough that you can buy too many. I assume most have zero value right?

Last edited:

darkmatter7

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
dm7...

Several Months ago...
Dm7 to Momma Dm7: Can you receive some boxes at the house later today?
Momma Dm7 to Dm7: Sure

20+ Pairs of Incotex and Samuelsohn

A brief interlude from one of my dogs...

Now for... DM7 Thrifts... Texas Edition... Part 1

This was the first shirts in the rack.

Fits me perfectly...

Unicorns

Got two of these

18 Pairs of Pants: Incotex, Billy Reid, Polo Corneliani, Zanella Unicorn, Zegna

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if-you-hate-capitalism-here-is-your-solution.jpg

Not that I agree with them... just saying

lol8[1].gif

Who was the member who dissect clothing to judge tailoring?

JefferyD and his cohorts of tailors and designers. He has a blog here. http://tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com/

Gotta love eBay. These ended an hour or so ago in the same size and (I think) they're from your neck of the woods

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Levis-501-X...092&pid=100010&prg=1089&rk=1&sd=300834106833&

What the FaQQQQQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT???!!! These are not vintage! Theses are reproduction!!! Are they....?
puzzled.gif

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dm7...

Several Months ago...
Dm7 to Momma Dm7: Can you receive some boxes at the house later today?
Momma Dm7 to Dm7: Sure

20+ Pairs of Incotex and Samuelsohn

A brief interlude from one of my dogs...

Now for... DM7 Thrifts... Texas Edition... Part 1

This was the first shirts in the rack.

Fits me perfectly...

Unicorns

Got two of these

18 Pairs of Pants: Incotex, Billy Reid, Polo Corneliani, Zanella Unicorn, Zegna

Bro, I hate you, seriously...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics