• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First nice thing in a while and first Charvet:

DSC_0684.jpg

Looks like it has never been tied. Also, kind of surprised by the quality. I was expecting a more luxurious hand, but it is fairly ordinary. Is it possible that it is fake? Are Charvet ties faked?

Xenos

Reaction score
I have about 15 Charvet ties and, other than being rather delicate (watch those rough fingertips), they don't have what I would call a "luxurious hand". On the nicer side of ordinary seems about right.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Digmenow
Also found these. Anyone have a clue as to what the brand is? I can't find a thing.
IMG_20110519_115326.jpg

IMG_20110519_115351.jpg
IMG_20110519_115425.jpg
IMG_20110519_115450.jpg

7WK is an Alfred Sargent last and the medallion is identical to the one on a pair of Sargents I have.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mat135ta
I got some amazing stuff today from a new store and a few other stores

About 5 Oxxford sportcoats, including 2 pure cashmere ones.
About 5 Ravazzolo sportcoats
1 Alexandra Julian cashmere sportcoat
1 Luciano Barberra db heavy flannel jacket with chalk stripes. It may or may not be an orphan.
2 Sulka Scotland cashmere vests
1 E Zegna loafer, 1 Santoni loafers, 1 Church lizard skin oxfords, 1 almost new Royal Tweed oxfords.

worship.gif
worship.gif

Originally Posted by eddievddr10
i believe thats licensed or crap from the late 90s

Really? The shirt I found was pretty nice. Made in Italy and had real MOP buttons.

As for me, today started out as an
ffffuuuu.gif
day, but then turned into a
bounce2.gif
day.

First, hit a Goodwill. Found two St Andrews for Bergdorf Goodman suit jackets and a nice recent Samuelsohn one. Turn around to look for the pants to see that the whole pants rack had huge chunks taken out of it. They cleared out literally 1/2 the pants to be "salvaged"! ARRRRRG! To make things worse, the pants were no where to be found and I usually have good luck finding missing suit trousers at this location. Big
ffffuuuu.gif

Hit my secret spot up again today and found 2 pairs of Superga for Isaia canvas sneakers. Also found a Levis x Billy Reid casual shirt and a NWT Charvet dress shirt. I was
bounce2.gif
all the way out the door.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
vcleat1.jpg

Went to Orange County today to pick up an eBay purchase (Swaine Adeney suitcase set. DAAANG.)

Not only did the guy I bought the suitcases from have on a 10/10 outfit, renewing my faith in humanity (and particularly Humanity, Southern California Division)... but I found these great shell longwings. And a nice unlined, almost totally unconstructed Brooks Brothers blue blazer - seemed contemporary, very Italian for Brooks.

The shoes, btw, are a 10 1/2 B and are up for sale. Also open to trades for something similarly great in a 12B.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
7WK is an Alfred Sargent last and the medallion is identical to the one on a pair of Sargents I have.

Thanks! You appear to be correct. Someone else led me to believe they were C&J's and I couldn't find anything on the web that looked like them. Tried AS and boom goes the dynamite!

Good eye.

Greg613

Reaction score
Not clothing, but I picked up a Rowenta IW-8100 Steamer today at GW. Not the best reviews, but it looks brand new and I have been wanting to get a steamer.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace_Face
First nice thing in a while and first Charvet: Looks like it has never been tied. Also, kind of surprised by the quality. I was expecting a more luxurious hand, but it is fairly ordinary. Is it possible that it is fake? Are Charvet ties faked?
Grats, I remember my first Charvet tie. It's still in my closet, doubt I'll ever get rid of it.
laugh.gif
I don't THINK Charvet is faked - you never know, and sometimes what you think is fake may just be a really old label - to use an example from earlier in the thread, Thomas Pink shirts have had myriad different labels, and some of the old ones you wouldn't believe are real unless you'd seen them before / researched them online. Where you REALLY need to be careful of fakes is designer labels and Lacoste. Lacoste is a PITA sometimes, lots of research and looking at older shirts needed.
ffffuuuu.gif
Anyway, I know what you mean about the quality - to me, Charvet and Hermes both have that kind of feel to them - they're very nice but not... otherworldly. The Charvets are definitely delicate as hell though. If you're looking for a luxurious hand, try Kiton or some recent Brionis, recent Zegnas, some Borrellis or Isaia maybe. There's plenty more, that's just the obvious ones I have experience with. FWIW I have way more Charvet & Hermes in my closet than the others... they make great basic everyday ties. Talk about a first-world problem...
laugh.gif

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just surprised at the quality. Frankly, the only reason I bought it was because of the label. It didn't seem all that different from the $9.99 Calvin Klein ties I see at TJMaxx.

The label seems legit, but the tie itself just doesn't seem all that special. Is there a way to tell a true Charvet ala the Hermes stitching test?

Kitontini

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
Grats, I remember my first Charvet tie. It's still in my closet, doubt I'll ever get rid of it.
laugh.gif

I don't THINK Charvet is faked - you never know, and sometimes what you think is fake may just be a really old label - to use an example from earlier in the thread, Thomas Pink shirts have had myriad different labels, and some of the old ones you wouldn't believe are real unless you'd seen them before / researched them online.

To be frank.... I have found a Charvet tie once that was Made in Canada. It's one of those "Same name, but different company" ordeals. The REAL Charvet will always say Made in France. The Charvet "Canada" one is a WAY different looking label. Bold and Blocky letters. You'll know it when you see it. It'll look like a fake or "really old". Just pay attention to the "Made in..." part.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kitontini
To be frank.... I have found a Charvet tie once that was Made in Canada. It's one of those "Same name, but different company" ordeals. The REAL Charvet will always say Made in France. The Charvet "Canada" one is a WAY different looking label. Bold and Blocky letters. You'll know it when you see it. It'll look like a fake or "really old". Just pay attention to the "Made in..." part.
Agreed - there's also this, which I've seen in a thrift and was made in USA I think: http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-CHARVET-...item27bace2c0c I suppose what I should have said is, I don't think anyone intentionally knocks off Charvet ties. There may be a "Charvett" out there just like there's "Borroni" and the like, but I haven't heard of / seen it.

Navi

Reaction score
Striking out in a seriously unfunny way lately. Been finding a ton of really nice items but are damaged, moth holes etc.

Also something funny, I used to work at a Salvation Army and got first dibs on anything donated. Only a month after I quit did I actually start learning what to look for.
facepalm.gif
I bought a bunch of stuff but it's all crap.. We always had PILES and PILES of clothing just waiting to get priced. Now they just put out the **** brands and keep the good ones.
plain.gif

neutralinterval

Reaction score
I've found 2 pairs of berluti shoes, several aldens, and one JM weston split toe in my history of thrifting. Lots of Yohji and Y's stuff as well. Resold most of it on ebay...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads