• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
Picked something up today I didn't think would ever exist here - an Alexander McQueen shirt. Tagged 15.5us 39it so it's available if anyone wants it. Anyone know who makes these in Italy for McQueen?

P1060649.jpg

Wow! I've found a McQ by McQueen shirt once, but that's the first mainline piece I've seen. Awesome! Wish it were one size bigger.

mat135ta

Reaction score
I got some amazing stuff today from a new store and a few other stores

About 5 Oxxford sportcoats, including 2 pure cashmere ones.
About 5 Ravazzolo sportcoats
1 Alexandra Julian cashmere sportcoat
1 Luciano Barberra db heavy flannel jacket with chalk stripes. It may or may not be an orphan.
2 Sulka Scotland cashmere vests
1 E Zegna loafer, 1 Santoni loafers, 1 Church lizard skin oxfords, 1 almost new Royal Tweed oxfords.

I left a few Oxxford and Ravazzolo sportcoats, including a Ravazzolo dinner jacket.

Most of the sportcoats are 41R to 42R, so they are a bit big for me. I may want to send some of them to the taylor...

ArsenalDan

Reaction score
For Gap-on-sale prices picked up today:

Missoni SB blazer, 50 euro/40 R [if I was more baller would have grabbed the DB available too, but something was off with the buttons]

Missoni heavy wool pants, size 32

Piatelli shirt, size 16

mat135ta

Reaction score

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Wow! I've found a McQ by McQueen shirt once, but that's the first mainline piece I've seen. Awesome! Wish it were one size bigger.

i believe thats licensed or crap from the late 90s

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went for a quick spin recently. I'd hit five shops in a normally good area and come up with nothing (passed on a nice vintage Thomas Pink Oxford cloth shirt because the sleeves were short, a pair of Church's penny loafers which were too small and a pair of slightly ropey C&J Eaton loafers because they were too big).

I walked into the sixth and last shop, normally the weakest of the bunch, thinking I'd wasted my time. Walked out five minutes later with a Huntsman bespoke one-button suit in a wool / mohair mix. The previous owner kindly cut out the tag (very wealthy area, probably someone famous), but the one button cut and the Huntsman purple stripe trouser lining gave the game away.

42R as well, so a pretty common size. Off to eBay we go...

So, don't give up!

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first post in this thread was March 31st, not even two months ago. It featured a pair of AE Sanfords that I picked up at a thrift. I have become something of a brand whore in the days since and now own more pairs than I can easily call to mind. I'm wearing my most recent find, brown Park Avenues, as I type this. Seriously, I know that I have more than 5 pair but something less than 10 and that's not even counting a pair that I gave to my brother-in-law. All purchased for under $10 per pair.

I know there are better brands but ... yanno? I can't help it if I like them. I think I need to get to my local chapter of Allen Edmonds Anonymous.

Thanks for your kind attention. You may now return to your regularly scheduled thrift bragging.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheBurnOut
Worst day of thrifting ever. I found a ton of stuff- all of it was damaged. 2 Zegna shirts that looked like somebody had urinated on them Hermes tie that looked like it had been put in a toaster Corneliani linen shirt that had a hole in the armpit RLPL pants that had a huge pee stain around the crotch Shell Aldens that were completely cracked down the heel of the right shoe Oh, well. I guess you can't win them all.
must be ManOfLints donation

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made a day of it and hit 14 thrift stores. Two thoughts, Goodwill's prices are going up and
Unique Thrift Stores are selling a lot of fake merchandise (Thomas Pink tie and Zegna tie)
among many fake shirts. I did get:

1 Turnbull & Asser Sport Coat 40R with side vents
1 Isaia Napoli Dress shirt 16.5/35
1 Thomas Pink Shirt 16.5/35
1 Zanella Pants 36x30 with pleats
1 Atari Pac-Man cartridge

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dahl5yankees;
Unique Thrift Stores are selling a lot of fake merchandise (Thomas Pink tie and Zegna tie)

Wow, really? They fake Thomas Pink? Doesn't seem like there's a lot of brand recognition, there. The sfores I frequent are mostly swimming in fake Lacostes. (And some of them are actually pretty nice! Others...look like the tags were made with a Xerox machine. I always wonder who buys this stuff initially...and where
eh.gif
)

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see quite a lot of (obvious) fakes. The sad thing is that the stores don't seem to realize they have fake goods, so they ask top prices for them on the basis of the designer label. I'm presuming people buy them without realizing too...

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dahl5yankees
Made a day of it and hit 14 thrift stores. Two thoughts, Goodwill's prices are going up and
among many fake shirts. I did get:

1 Turnbull & Asser Sport Coat 40R with side vents
1 Isaia Napoli Dress shirt 16.5/35
1 Thomas Pink Shirt 16.5/35
1 Zanella Pants 36x30 with pleats
1 Atari Pac-Man cartridge

Yep, saw a really nice Zegna suit with moth holes ALL OVER it as well as an Oxxford suit with the same problem. Both were expensive as **** too. Thrift stores have gone insane I swear....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads