• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odradek

Reaction score
Any value to "celebrity" previous owners of a suit?

Bought two suits this morning, one tailored for "Mr. Jeremy Paxman", and the other exactly the same size next to it on the rail, so I'm guessing it was his too. 44L.
Not someone that most Americans would recognise, but here in Britain he's very well known. Like finding a suit made for Walter Cronkite perhaps.
He lives about 5 miles from here, and has recently retired from his main TV job so no surprise he might be getting rid of some suits.

The bespoke one is by Norton Townsend of London, an the other is Hackett.
There was third suit there of similar size, but I left it.
Aquascutum navy suit, but was bizarrely priced much higher, and in my experience Hackett sells far better on ebay.

Last edited:

va230815

Reaction score
In before another Spoo-gasm

VV

Ike Behar and Beau's of Vermont

This guy may not be a 2nd generation Anderson and Shepparder, but hes a first generation VV-er

Jim Thompson, EZ

NWT pendleton cardigan

Navy 42/36

41R, left is camelhair

41R

40R HF seersucker

40S, right one is mohair/wool

Whats a post by me without a womens item?

Mackage wimmenz full length wool/cash coat with leather trim, size M

Sleeves345

Reaction score
I just started watching that buckle a couple hours ago, thinking of bidding for the heck of it. But this guy needs to buy it much more than I do.

Just an FYI because I, too, nearly started bidding on it: Spoo's buckle is of a 280zx, not a 240/260/280z. That's the second generation, which you can easily tell by the rear window shape. The earlier gen has an upward curve on the glass, while the later cars had triangular glass among some other differences. The buckle is a '79, which is the year the 280zx came out in the US.

Not sure that changes anyone's mind. But I thought I'd throw the info out there. It might not make any difference to a Datsun fan.

Spruce Moose

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should I but this 2004 Zegna? It's the softest fabric I have ever felt but the chest is about 3 inches too big.

Is it possible to bring it in that much? Beautiful coat and only 15$

freehand

Reaction score

Any value to "celebrity" previous owners of a suit?

Bought two suits this morning, one tailored for "Mr. Jeremy Paxman", and the other exactly the same size next to it on the rail, so I'm guessing it was his too. 44L.
Not someone that most Americans would recognise, but here in Britain he's very well known. Like finding a suit made for Walter Cronkite perhaps.
He lives about 5 miles from here, and has recently retired from his main TV job so no surprise he might be getting rid of some suits.

The bespoke one is by Norton Townsend of London, an the other is Hackett.
There was third suit there of similar size, but I left it.
Aquascutum navy suit, but was bizarrely priced much higher, and in my experience Hackett sells far better on ebay.

I'd be interested to see how the suits having belonged to Paxman affects their value. Not someone I imagine having hardcore fans but probably worth mentioning in the listing. I've recently sold both Hackett and Norton & Townsend suits. Sold 2 like new N&T suits for around £100 and £75 I think, they don't generally sell amazingly well.

Where are you thrifting? I'm in N London but moving to Somerset next year and I can imagine that my finds will take a pretty steep dip in quality.

Last edited:

Odradek

Reaction score

I'd be interested to see how the suits having belonged to Paxman affects their value. Not someone I imagine having hardcore fans but probably worth mentioning in the listing. I've recently sold both Hackett and Norton & Townsend suits. Sold 2 like new N&T suits for around £100 and £75 I think, they don't generally sell amazingly well.

Where are you thrifting? I'm in N London but moving to Somerset next year and I can imagine that my finds will take a pretty steep dip in quality.

I'm in Henley on Thames, Oxfordshire.
Paxman lives in a nearby village called Stonor.

The thrifting here varies. You can find nice things sometimes but certain shops (Oxfam here & British Heart Foundation in Marlow) have ridiculous prices.
Usually the the smaller towns in Oxfordshire or Berkshire have more realistic prices but not such good quality.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My kind of consignment shop stop...

TNF Windstopper fleece (maybe a keeper), Patagucci Retro-X hoody, Gustin #78 (The Fourteener).

TheODGuy

Reaction score
Can anybody drop some knowledge on Harris boots (made in Florence) that were sold at Barney's? I thin I may have just made the mistake of leaving a pair behind....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads