• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And if the kid makes dean's list and gets a free ride, the $ is still yours.

To use on education only.

--

Found a pair of minty Gustins yesterday. Tried them on and they were bang freaking perfect -- even the inseam, which never happens for me.

Then I opened the box of a trade with a regular trade partner from France. I'd traded a couple of Kiton suits that were too big. The intent was to sell what I got back. But wouldn't you know, the Kiton in the box fits me like a glove right out of the box, and so do those Lobbs and G&Gs.

Looks like I'll be cash poor for a while still.

#firstworldproblems.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and out of 150 or so pieces, i think one or two fits me. not complaining for a millisecond but would have loved a better ratio on this stuff.
Just curious SPOO, how many trips does it take to haul 150 pieces of Anderson Shepherd in a Ferrari?

And for those of you who will catch the reference. This is now my favorite new question:

Answer: 42
Question: How many trips does it take to haul 110 years worth of thrifted bespoke English clothing in a Ferrari?

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To use on education only.

--

Found a pair of minty Gustins yesterday. Tried them on and they were bang freaking perfect -- even the inseam, which never happens for me.

Then I opened the box of a trade with a regular trade partner from France. I'd traded a couple of Kiton suits that were too big. The intent was to sell what I got back. But wouldn't you know, the Kiton in the box fits me like a glove right out of the box, and so do those Lobbs and G&Gs.

Looks like I'll be cash poor for a while still.

#firstworldproblems.
Do you need money if your wearing a Kiton suit and John Lobb shoes? I honestly don't think you do.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you need money if your wearing a Kiton suit and John Lobb shoes? I honestly don't think you do.

Yes.

I need the money I paid to buy them.

Which was a lot.

Cash flow and all that. Not rocket science.

Don't pick a fight with me, too Jompso. For one thing, I'm not in the mood.

Last edited:

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes.

I need the money I paid to buy them.

Which was a lot.

Cash flow and all that. Not rocket science.

Don't pick a fight with me, too Jompso. For one thing, I'm not in the mood.
What? I was flippantly joking that that fit is so baller that you don't even need money with it. Pick fight with you too, I don't pick fights, and I'm sure as **** not going out looking for one. I don't need to and I don't need that ****. I never am. Sorry you misread the joke. Next time I'll refrain complementing you on your excellent clothing acquisitions. My bad, Homie.

Edit: You made a #firstworldproblems hastag thing, I didn't realize your facing the highway offramp, slightly misleading.

Last edited:

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would any of you guys sell your house for a huge profit, invest the money, and rent? Is that an insane idea?

It's not insane, but not a great idea either. If you can really make a huge profit, why not sell and buy another house? I think renting is not a good idea IF you can buy. If you sell, you can't deduct property taxes, or the mortgage interest deduction, plus you'll pay capital gains taxes on all the gain. If you buy another house, no capital gain if you put it all into another house. If you buy another house and invest part of your gain, you'll still reduce the taxes. Do you have reason to believe the house won't continue to increase? I don't think we are at the top of the market yet.

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been working all night and after a solid day of manual labor the office will finally be finished... Photos will be supplied to show what a year and hardwork can do, it can get you your own office on the West Side of LA. Being that this is the second most expensive city to live in in the country, it won't match the beauty of @capnwes 's lair of thrift, nearly a holy construction of beauty. But it aint bad for someone who went all in on a venture on a whim thinking he found his calling a year ago, all because he found an Isaia Aquacashmere his first time stepping in a Goodwill. Just a little piece of success from a year of starting my own business from a person who didn't know the first thing about ******* business. It's a little cozy but it's something I am quite proud of. You can choose to dislike me and it, or respect me for my little accomplishment, the choice is yours, and frankly, not a concern of mine, but you'll soon get to see it either way and I look forward to being able to show it to you guys.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not insane, but not a great idea either. If you can really make a huge profit, why not sell and buy another house? I think renting is not a good idea IF you can buy. If you sell, you can't deduct property taxes, or the mortgage interest deduction, plus you'll pay capital gains taxes on all the gain. If you buy another house, no capital gain if you put it all into another house. If you buy another house and invest part of your gain, you'll still reduce the taxes. Do you have reason to believe the house won't continue to increase? I don't think we are at the top of the market yet.
Certainly everything NP said is great advice and while it is not my intention to contradict it in any way, I just wanted to say that every circumstance is different and if you are giving serious thought to selling your home for any reason, it would be my suggestion to do some research and maybe even speak to a financial planner and tax professional regarding your particular circumstances prior to making any decisions.
Yes, renting is not usually the right way to go assuming you currently own a house and can afford to buy but I have heard of circumstances under which it at least paid to give it thought.
Finally, you will have some time to make this decision even after you sell your home. Speak to a professional in this regard to verify your options and the time limits.
Good luck

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What? I was flippantly joking that that fit is so baller that you don't even need money with it. Pick fight with you too, I don't pick fights, and I'm sure as **** not going out looking for one. I don't need to and I don't need that ****. I never am. Sorry you misread the joke. Next time I'll refrain complementing you on your excellent clothing acquisitions. My bad, Homie.

Edit: You made a #firstworldproblems hastag thing, I didn't realize your facing the highway offramp, slightly misleading.

Gotcha. Sorry, I misunderstood. Appreciate the clarification.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Certainly everything NP said is great advice and while it is not my intention to contradict it in any way, I just wanted to say that every circumstance is different and if you are giving serious thought to selling your home for any reason, it would be my suggestion to do some research and maybe even speak to a financial planner and tax professional regarding your particular circumstances prior to making any decisions.
Yes, renting is not usually the right way to go assuming you currently own a house and can afford to buy but I have heard of circumstances under which it at least paid to give it thought.
Finally, you will have some time to make this decision even after you sell your home. Speak to a professional in this regard to verify your options and the time limits.
Good luck

The serious thought to selling my home is: this place is a little too small in a bad school district, and as I type this the neighborhood developer is across the street tearing down the third house on the block since he started making modern marvels last spring. But we're in no rush (school is four years away), and staying here can only increase the value of our lot. Thanks for everyone's input. I seriously thought this would be a 10-year house, not a 2-year house.

zerobid

Reaction score
A survivor !!!
old school 80's Kuwahara Apollo 16" for my little guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads