• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this on Tumblr. Look at this dye project.

http://dandyshoecare.tumblr.com/

Noo Guy

Reaction score
So would you use Venetian Shoe Cream or Renovateur to clean? Sorry to keep repeating myself - the new plethora of products to use have me a bit stymied.
*** Edit - I missed your post on the last page about cleaner/ conditioner - mea cupla ***

On the plus side, I just bought my second pair of AEs on ebay. Two in two weeks so far...

Last edited:

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Alexander N. sure knows what he's doing.
Its a bit #Pitt 2011 though...He's done better stuff.

Last edited:

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So would you use Venetian Shoe Cream or Renovateur to clean? Sorry to keep repeating myself - the new plethora of products to use have me a bit stymied.
*** Edit - I missed your post on the last page about cleaner/ conditioner - mea cupla ***

On the plus side, I just bought my second pair of AEs on ebay. Two in two weeks so far...

I use Venetian shoe cream to moisturize shell. Renovateur is a cleaner/conditioner.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was inspired by Gerry Nelson's recent post about the fine leather apron he acquired for shoe care. Even more impressive was the image capturing him among glorious leather surroundings. Like Lear, I too had a "friend" who was interested in a leather apron for shoe care duties. Since I couldn't I mean my "friend" couldn't justify a large purchase for such an apron, Chogall's Harbor Freight recommendation was just the ticket.

Split Leather Welding Apron

http://www.harborfreight.com/split-leather-welding-apron-45193.html

This one may be shorter than Gerry's example and hits right at the knee. It's not made from full grain leather, as its name indicates, it's split leather with a roughout/suede-like feel. It actually feels quite nice given that it is leather and I'm used to using an old towel on my lap during shoe care duties. It has a single chest pocket and three lap-height pockets. It also differs from the website in that it doesn't have a buckle closure.

For $10, you really can't go wrong. Now I have a reason to pick up that welding rig I've been considering as well.

Note, the shoe shining apron is almost as essential as the water-droplet dispenser that we all saw on the japanese shoe shine video. I had to buy one of those too
smile.png

Video where I saw the water droplet dispenser. It's actually used for solvent.

Last edited:

Lear

Reaction score
Wow patrick_b, and you come across as so normal in your posts.

You have it pretty bad mate. You can only be helped once you realize you have a problem. Denial will solve nothing, and it'll only get worse.

Lear

Lear

Reaction score
Just saw EnsitMike's first post in another thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/341274/mirror-shine-success-kind-of . Don't want to start another shoe maintenance thread.

Coincidentally, I had my first 'crack' experience last week. Four years ago, I bought, mirrored and stored a new pair of JL cap-toes. Completely forgot about them for all those years, having worn for just a week. Rediscovered them last week and touched up the mirror. Then putting one step in front of another, I heard and watched them crack (just the toecaps) like crazy paving. Pretty severe stuff indeed.

My conclusion: absolutely nothing wrong with my technique - I've done this with many shoes since - nor has it anything to do with them being lost and the wax drying out. It has everything to do with the fact that these shoes in particular have an extremely soft (almost unstructured) cap-toe. It's as if they forgot to put in any kind of stiffener. A soft finger press will cause the buttery soft leather to give immediately. I'm talking about just toecap cracking here, everything else being fine.

Upon reflection, I should've realized this this would happen. I was a mere novice back then :embar:

So, realize that if the toe-box is too squishy it might crack the mirror. Nothing to do with cost or quality of shoe.

Lear

Last edited:

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
Ive been wondering: what if you attached a tall vertical grip to the heel portion of a shoe tree? Wouldnt it make it easier to fill out the shoe for a shining and to gain leverage when buffing? Assuming there was a way to lock the shoe tree in its extended position, of course.

EnsitMike

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and message redirecting me here, Lear. What you said actually makes a lot of sense. The toes aren't soft really, but when I first started, having no idea what I was doing, I remember pressing quite firmly as I polished. Later on, from trial and error, I found that sweet spot which actually ended up being a fairly light rub.

I took some pictures which showed the cracking better, and they looked especially bad this morning. I'll try the shine on a nicer pair of shoes, as these were also my first experiment with acetone, I didn't want to dive into the deep end.

As a contingency, If I go and do a mirror on a pair I like a little more, I can remove the wax right? I've read mixed feelings, some people say if you remove wax you're bound to remove the shoes finish in the process, others have said it's perfectly removable.

Just saw EnsitMike's first post in another thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/341274/mirror-shine-success-kind-of . Don't want to start another shoe maintenance thread.

Coincidentally, I had my first 'crack' experience last week. Four years ago, I bought, mirrored and stored a new pair of JL cap-toes. Completely forgot about them for all those years, having worn for just a week. Rediscovered them last week and touched up the mirror. Then putting one step in front of another, I heard and watched them crack (just the toecaps) like crazy paving. Pretty severe stuff indeed.

My conclusion: absolutely nothing wrong with my technique - I've done this with many shoes since - nor has it anything to do with them being lost and the wax drying out. It has everything to do with the fact that these shoes in particular have an extremely soft (almost unstructured) cap-toe. It's as if they forgot to put in any kind of stiffener. A soft finger press will cause the buttery soft leather to give immediately. I'm talking about just toecap cracking here, everything else being fine.

Upon reflection, I should've realized this this would happen. I was a mere novice back then
shog[1].gif

So, realize that if the toe-box is too squishy it might crack the mirror. Nothing to do with cost or quality of shoe.

Lear

benhour

Reaction score
From this

To this

Amazing SheenorShine
Quote: collonil 1909 series is really great stuff(paste especially) !! according to the wax has a great shine but when u are going for a mirror shine is a real payne in the a.... :)

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow patrick_b, and you come across as so normal in your posts.

You have it pretty bad mate. You can only be helped once you realize you have a problem. Denial will solve nothing, and it'll only get worse.

Lear

It all went downhill after I came across posts by an Englishman mirror shining a pair of RMW boots.

From seeing this:

...to an apron for shining shoes in a few short years.

Coldcava

Reaction score

I was inspired by Gerry Nelson's recent post about the fine leather apron he acquired for shoe care. Even more impressive was the image capturing him among glorious leather surroundings. Like Lear, I too had a "friend" who was interested in a leather apron for shoe care duties. Since I couldn't I mean my "friend" couldn't justify a large purchase for such an apron, Chogall's Harbor Freight recommendation was just the ticket. Split Leather Welding Apron http://www.harborfreight.com/split-leather-welding-apron-45193.html This one may be shorter than Gerry's example and hits right at the knee. It's not made from full grain leather, as its name indicates, it's split leather with a roughout/suede-like feel. It actually feels quite nice given that it is leather and I'm used to using an old towel on my lap during shoe care duties. It has a single chest pocket and three lap-height pockets. It also differs from the website in that it doesn't have a buckle closure. For $10, you really can't go wrong. Now I have a reason to pick up that welding rig I've been considering as well. Note, the shoe shining apron is almost as essential as the water-droplet dispenser that we all saw on the japanese shoe shine video. I had to buy one of those too
smile.png
. Video where I saw the water droplet dispenser. It's actually used for solvent.
I'll get two of those water droplets things.. I think it can be cross purposed for Scotch as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads