• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So you wipe it off?

Still curios to find out how long he let it set before wiping it off.

It not a wax that stays on the leather like polish. It's about the consistency of skim milk and is used like paint thinner. Apply a dab from the bottle on a cloth and then wipe on the leather like paint thinner. It transfers the wax from the leather to the absorbent cloth. Wipe again with a clean section of cloth and repeat with Renomat if necessary.

Hope that helps.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It not a wax that stays on the leather like polish. It's about the consistency of skim milk and is used like paint thinner. Apply a dab from the bottle on a cloth and then wipe on the leather like paint thinner. It transfers the wax from the leather to the absorbent cloth. Wipe again with a clean section of cloth and repeat with Renomat if necessary.

Hope that helps.
Understand, however he said he planned on leaving it on for awhile before taking it off. Just kind of wondered how long you would really want to leave something like that on before taking it off. I wouldn't think you would want to leave it on that long.

goodlensboy

Reaction score
From this

To this

Amazing SheenorShine

IMG_0766_zps914c32d2.jpg

IMG_0771_zps11f9acbe.jpg

IMG_0764_zps1b330656.jpg

Polished with Collonil 1909 Wax Polish from Germany[/quot

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Understand, however he said he planned on leaving it on for awhile before taking it off. Just kind of wondered how long you would really want to leave something like that on before taking it off. I wouldn't think you would want to leave it on that long.

I think he meant he was leaving the renovateur on. Used after Renomat cleaning to recondition the leather

Al in Philly

Reaction score
Wow, these look incredible compared to what they looked like before.

How long did you let the Renomat sit before brushing it off?
I didn't brush anything off, as it just strips the shoes. I let the shoes sit overnight before I Reno'd them though. No real reason as to why, I just felt like letting them sit with nothing on them for 12 hours.

Al in Philly

Reaction score
I was referring to Renovateur when I said that. To condition them thoroughly I let them sit with the Renovateur on them for about two hours before brushing off. I then did a second pass with Renovateur and followed the standard Saphir directions (only 3-5 minutes before brushing).

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he meant he was leaving the renovateur on. Used after Renomat cleaning to recondition the leather

I didn't brush anything off, as it just strips the shoes. I let the shoes sit overnight before I Reno'd them though. No real reason as to why, I just felt like letting them sit with nothing on them for 12 hours.

I was referring to Renovateur when I said that. To condition them thoroughly I let them sit with the Renovateur on them for about two hours before brushing off. I then did a second pass with Renovateur and followed the standard Saphir directions (only 3-5 minutes before brushing).
Got it, thanks for the clarification.

SheenorShine

Reaction score

Fantastic shine! Once you've worn the shoes a little, could you please post another pic? I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the wax breaking away.

I was talking to cbfn about wax cracking on the vamp. I meant to say that as shoes flex, this wax on the vamp will break away ,rather than forming wax cracking that you get from kiwi.

Noo Guy

Reaction score
I am sorry if my question has already been asked. I've read the entire shoecare supply checklist thread, and at least 25 pages of this one... I tried to find my answer prior to asking.
1. How often do you recommend stripping wax? Is there anything recommended besides Renomat?
2. How often should I condition? Some say every always, some say 1x/month.
3. Recently bought first pair AE's (walnut "Player") on ebay, and want to increase patina - should I just use natural, or also walnut polish?

After reading posts I have altered my years-old, handed-down routine to be as follows:
1a. wipe shoes clean with a damp tshirt
1b. use Saddle Soap once/ month with a damp tshirt (is this redundant is I do #2?)
2. condition shoes with Venetian Shoe Cream in circular motion (less expensive than Saphir, ,and I like some of the results I saw), let sit 5 mins, buff brush
3. apply AE shoe polish from tube in circular motion with old gym sock, let sit 5 mins, buff brush
4. my kiwi waxes were all shriveled and dead... do I replace them and add this as a step, or is the AE tubed polish sufficient?

Any comments to my methods and questions are appreciated.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Saphir renomat, stripper if you want to re-dye.
2. Depends on how often and in what conditions you wear your shoes. Once every few months should suffice imo.
3. Use dark brown and black.

sounds OK. Use saddle soap only if shoes are dirty.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sorry if my question has already been asked. I've read the entire shoecare supply checklist thread, and at least 25 pages of this one... I tried to find my answer prior to asking.
1. How often do you recommend stripping wax? Is there anything recommended besides Renomat?
2. How often should I condition? Some say every always, some say 1x/month.
3. Recently bought first pair AE's (walnut "Player") on ebay, and want to increase patina - should I just use natural, or also walnut polish?

After reading posts I have altered my years-old, handed-down routine to be as follows:
1a. wipe shoes clean with a damp tshirt
1b. use Saddle Soap once/ month with a damp tshirt (is this redundant is I do #2?)
2. condition shoes with Venetian Shoe Cream in circular motion (less expensive than Saphir, ,and I like some of the results I saw), let sit 5 mins, buff brush
3. apply AE shoe polish from tube in circular motion with old gym sock, let sit 5 mins, buff brush
4. my kiwi waxes were all shriveled and dead... do I replace them and add this as a step, or is the AE tubed polish sufficient?

Any comments to my methods and questions are appreciated.

1. Less than once a year. Acetone or spirits of turpentine.
2. Once to twice per month depending on how frequently they are worn.
3. If you want to "increase" patina on a Styleforum definition, use darker colors to paint the f*** out of it. Otherwise just use neutral and let it fade naturally.

1b. Once per month saddle soap sounds really excessive...
4. Don't need to replace dried waxes; they produce mirror shine with less efforts.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DentonHelen