• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EnsitMike

Reaction score
Single droplet at a time would be torture
smile.gif

Hey Patrick, what boots are you wearing in the shot above?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Patrick, what boots are you wearing in the shot above?
Alden shell perforated cap toe boot in color 8. This is the J. Crew makeup on the Barrie last. I just posted these updated pics in the Alden thread. They are about 8 months old. Someone recently posted on the Alden thread that J. Crew will not be remaking this model. AFAIK, it hasn't been confirmed but if you like the perf cap, now may be the time.

Last edited:

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alden shell perforated cap toe boot in color 8. This makeup is the J. Crew version on Barrie last. I just posted these updated pics in the Alden thread. They are about 8 months old.
Patrick, do you use wax on the toecaps of these? Been contemplating shining my DC Lewis caps and Alden jumper boots but thought general opinion was no wax on shell

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patrick, do you use wax on the toecaps of these?
Been contemplating shining my DC Lewis caps and Alden jumper boots but thought general opinion was no wax on shell

When they were still fairly new, I used wax to give them a mirror toe but decided against keeping them that way as it made them harder to dress down. It's certainly possible but IMO shell looks better with very little wax. Just my opinion of course.

I didn't strip the wax from that little experiment last fall so its certainly possible that there is still a fair amount of wax on the cap. I applied a couple coats of Renovateur (which certainly removed some wax) and then brushed the mirror away. In present condition (as shown in the apron images above) they now work well with a SC and wool trousers and chinos or denim.

Last edited:

Lear

Reaction score
Patrick_b & Gerry Nelson: I now feel it doesn't work for chelsea boots. You end up with too much of a strict dividing line between between wrinkled and smooth leather. Also, on those black pics above, the rest of the boot is simply too dry to contrast well. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, it was merely an experiment. However, I very much like the way Crat manages a fading/blending in of the mirror on just the tip of the toecap. Nice :slayer:

The whiskey RMW boots (same treatment) are now back to having just RMW saddle dressing. Not a drop of hard or soft wax. I like the look of sunlight + heat on bare leather. You see, it isn't all about mirror shining.

Having said that, I like the look of a mirrored cap-toe. That simple row of stitches gives my eager finger permission to shine. The pics of Patrick_b's Alden boots are some of the best in this thread. Shiny or matt, they're Great.

Off-topic: That's it, I've given up on wearing fine leather in salty/slushy conditions. This is where corrected grain shines. I have a pair of ugly Mephisto shoes that seem impervious to this corrosive stuff. Give them a quick swipe of Danner shoe gunk and I'm ready to go. I'll post some nightmare inducing pics.

Lear (heading down the Vass/Carmina cordovan route)

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When they were still fairly new, I used wax to give them a mirror toe but decided against keeping them that way as it made them harder to dress down. It's certainly possible but IMO shell looks better with very little wax. Just my opinion of course. I didn't strip the wax from that little experiment last fall so its certainly possible that there is still a fair amount of wax on the cap. I applied a couple coats of Renovateur (which certainly removed some wax) and then brushed the mirror away. In present condition (as shown in the apron images above) they now work well with a SC and wool trousers and chinos or denim.
Thanks for that Patrick. I might put a little on the DCL's but I'll leave the Aldens alone

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patrick_b & Gerry Nelson: I now feel it doesn't work for chelsea boots.
You end up with too much of a strict dividing line between between wrinkled and smooth leather. Also, on those black pics above, the rest of the boot is simply too dry to contrast well. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, it was merely an experiment. However, I very much like the way Crat manages a fading/blending in of the mirror on just the tip of the toecap. Nice
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

The whiskey RMW boots (same treatment) are now back to having just RMW saddle dressing. Not a drop of hard or soft wax. I like the look of sunlight + heat on bare leather. You see, it isn't all about mirror shining.

Having said that, I like the look of a mirrored cap-toe. That simple row of stitches gives my eager finger permission to shine. The pics of Patrick_b's Alden boots are some of the best in this thread. Shiny or matt, they're Great.

Off-topic: That's it, I've given up on wearing fine leather in salty/slushy conditions. This is where corrected grain shines. I have a pair of ugly Mephisto shoes that seem impervious to this corrosive stuff. Give them a quick swipe of Danner shoe gunk and I'm ready to go. I'll post some nightmare inducing pics.

Lear (heading down the Vass/Carmina cordovan route)

Lear,
I couldn't agree more. I remember stopping by a shine booth at the airport in DC many years ago and the guy produced an amazing mirror shine on my black calf cap toe shoes. At the time, I thought one needed a lifetime of experience to replicate such a great shine. I think what you showed me in those early attempts with the RMW boots was that a mirror polish was attainable by the average joe. It just takes a little knowledge, a lot of work and even more trial and error.

Upon starting this journey I wanted to mirror polish everything. I put a close-to-mirror toe on both of my yearling RMW Craftsman boots. I would have tried to mirror polish our dog if he'd stay still long enough.

For reference: Brutus the dog

Like a kid playing with a new toy, I went a bit overboard. However, all that experimenting was the trial and error that eventually showed me what works and what doesn't. My RMW boots now get the occasional coat of RMW's leather conditioner. I prefer the matte finish a lot of my shoes, including dress shoes. I have three pair of shell shoes & boots in the rotation and find they look their best with very little product. They get plenty of *care* just minimal products. Brush 99% of the time and Renovateur only if they need it.

The mirror has its place and when done right it can really stand out. IMO, a shoe like these inexpensive AE bluchers are a good candidate for the mirror toe.

Last edited:

JermynStreet

Reaction score
When they were still fairly new, I used wax to give them a mirror toe but decided against keeping them that way as it made them harder to dress down. It's certainly possible but IMO shell looks better with very little wax. Just my opinion of course.

I didn't strip the wax from that little experiment last fall so its certainly possible that there is still a fair amount of wax on the cap. I applied a couple coats of Renovateur (which certainly removed some wax) and then brushed the mirror away. In present condition (as shown in the apron images above) they now work well with a SC and wool trousers and chinos or denim.

Stunning. A museum quality shine. Almost just makes you want to not wear them.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeKirk