• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Ironically, early on, I thought he wrote well. But then he turned his blog into a medium to sell “bespoke” suits haha. I think what makes it worse is he knows he’s selling garbage too. That, to me, makes it worse. Some people are just ignorant salesmen. Others are crafty and devious.
The Articles of Style guy? He posted on SF a long time ago but the hand stitching/must be from Italy folks chased him away.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. Ironically, early on, I thought he wrote well. But then he turned his blog into a medium to sell “bespoke” suits haha. I think what makes it worse is he knows he’s selling garbage too. That, to me, makes it worse. Some people are just ignorant salesmen. Others are crafty and devious.
I'm on their mailer list from lord knows how long ago. Always curious to see their sample sales...though they are invariably far too small.
I do believe they are fully canvassed now, but, even still, it's a laughable price.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm on their mailer list from lord knows how long ago. Always curious to see their sample sales...though they are invariably far too small.
I do believe they are fully canvassed now, but, even still, it's a laughable price.
Yes, they should be at the prices they’re charging! I remember the guy posting about how he preferred half canvas to full canvas because it was lighter & cooler. My favorite part of their website is them charging more for dormeiul Amadeus fabric (like 3600+). To me, that’s a standard fabric at most bespoke houses. Costs tailors less than 100/meter. It just shows how truly bad their baseline fabrics are.

SpallaPerfetta

Reaction score
Will you still be back and forth that much when you move?

I was down with the office for an outing today. I slipped away to Alden and spent some time with the guys there getting fitted. Boy am I glad I did. Is their sizing I was vastly different from others.?

For example in their Van and Aberdeen last I am a 9C.
View attachment 1994003 View attachment 1994005
Did you pick anything up while you were there? I’ve been thinking about buying Alden’s but not sure if I would buy new or try to find a deal online but I really need to try them on to make sure I get the size right either way. Do you think it would be rude to stop it and get fitted then potentially walk out without a purchase?

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you pick anything up while you were there? I’ve been thinking about buying Alden’s but not sure if I would buy new or try to find a deal online but I really need to try them on to make sure I get the size right either way. Do you think it would be rude to stop it and get fitted then potentially walk out without a purchase?
I wish I could have. Thats what I did today simply because I can’t buy at the moment, but I am rarely in the area to even get fitted. The guys were cool about it and gave me their cards for when I was ready. We talked a few minutes about a few other things menswear related so that was fun too. I am definitely saving my pennies now and seeing what I can side hustle.

I would stop by if you can and at least try them on. You may be happy enough to walk out with them on your feet.

SpallaPerfetta

Reaction score
I wish I could have. Thats what I did today simply because I can’t buy at the moment, but I am rarely in the area to even get fitted. The guys were cool about it and gave me their cards for when I was ready. We talked a few minutes about a few other things menswear related so that was fun too. I am definitely saving my pennies now and seeing what I can side hustle.

I would stop by if you can and at least try them on. You may be happy enough to walk out with them on your feet.
Hopefully the happiness lingers at least until the credit card bill posts!

Did they have many boots in stock? I’ve been thinking about getting an Indy or similar in Color 8 Shell. I think that’s a common enough shoe that I could probably find it on SF or eBay but I’ve never worn Alden’s and don’t know what my size would be.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the happiness lingers at least until the credit card bill posts!

Did they have many boots in stock? I’ve been thinking about getting an Indy or similar in Color 8 Shell. I think that’s a common enough shoe that I could probably find it on SF or eBay but I’ve never worn Alden’s and don’t know what my size would be.
I would give them a call because I was in loafer mode and didn’t check out anything else.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend Aram the Cobbler over Bedo's. Aram's prices are on his website and they're much lower than Bedo's for comparable work and much faster turnaround time.
I used Aram numerous times, albeit numerous years ago when he was at Sky Valet. I've used Bedo's once. It was more recently. I'll echo that Bedo's is considerably more expensive. I also experienced that the work was quite slow. However, I thought it was much cleaner than Aram. Bedo's work looked totally natural, and I couldn't tell that the shoes had been resoled. Aram's work was fine, but it definitely wasn't super clean. It was decent enough that I continued to go back to him, but, in my experience, the work wasn't comparable. Just one man's limited experience, so I don't invalidate other takes. Just wanted to add my experiences.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used Aram numerous times, albeit numerous years ago when he was at Sky Valet. I've used Bedo's once. It was more recently. I'll echo that Bedo's is considerably more expensive. I also experienced that the work was quite slow. However, I thought it was much cleaner than Aram. Bedo's work looked totally natural, and I couldn't tell that the shoes had been resoled. Aram's work was fine, but it definitely wasn't super clean. It was decent enough that I continued to go back to him, but, in my experience, the work wasn't comparable. Just one man's limited experience, so I don't invalidate other takes. Just wanted to add my experiences.
I really tear my shoes up living and working urban. Lots of city walking and foot dragging means I resole often. Better to find a competent cobbler who doesn't charge and arm and a leg I think.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can you elaborate on the shortcomings of Aram? The guys at Alden DC recommended him based on price and turnaround time.
particularly curious for more info on, “
Aram's work was fine, but it definitely wasn't super clean. It was decent enough that I continued to go back to him, but, in my experience, the work wasn't comparable.

If this work is not comparable, then why go back to Aram?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that Hetam (the older brother) did the resoling at Sky Valet?

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I have no idea who did it. Perhaps I assumed, wrongly, that there was one dude who did it.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Date night! Went to a Miami Vice-themed pop-up bar in Del Ray, Alexandria.

IMG_9442.jpeg IMG_9441.jpeg

Jacques Marie Mage sunglasses, Orlebar Brown shirt, Eidos pants, Castañer espadrilles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads