• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pastis from Bar Boheme at Union Market.
20230722_141305.jpg

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on the shortcomings of Aram? The guys at Alden DC recommended him based on price and turnaround time.
particularly curious for more info on, “

If this work is not comparable, then why go back to Aram?

As Ambulance Chaser noted, it may have been Hetam, not Aram. I have never gone to Aram's business. I used to take my shoes to Sky Valet, so whoever did the work there in the aughts and teens is what I'm referring to. They put flush toe taps on 5-10 pairs of my shoes. Pretty simple job. No issues. They replaced soles on two pairs. The stitching is a little off, just noticeably not straight or super tight and clean. If you inspected them, it was clear the soles were replaced. It wasn't really a problem, and you couldn't tell unless you picked up the shoes and inspected them. It didn't affect how they felt or the look on my feet.

I went back, because I didn't know about Bedo's back then, nor was I that bothered by the repair work from Sky Valet. At that time, Sky Valet was always the place to go in D.C. for shoe repairs, and I kinda enjoyed going there and talking. They also used to be one of the only places in the U.S. to carry Vass and then later Carmina. Just a really unique spot.

Anyways, we're pretty lucky to have several skilled options for shoe repairs in this town.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As Ambulance Chaser noted, it may have been Hetam, not Aram. I have never gone to Aram's business. I used to take my shoes to Sky Valet, so whoever did the work there in the aughts and teens is what I'm referring to. They put flush toe taps on 5-10 pairs of my shoes. Pretty simple job. No issues. They replaced soles on two pairs. The stitching is a little off, just noticeably not straight or super tight and clean. If you inspected them, it was clear the soles were replaced. It wasn't really a problem, and you couldn't tell unless you picked up the shoes and inspected them. It didn't affect how they felt or the look on my feet.

I went back, because I didn't know about Bedo's back then, nor was I that bothered by the repair work from Sky Valet. At that time, Sky Valet was always the place to go in D.C. for shoe repairs, and I kinda enjoyed going there and talking. They also used to be one of the only places in the U.S. to carry Vass and then later Carmina. Just a really unique spot.

Anyways, we're pretty lucky to have several skilled options for shoe repairs in this town.
Thank you for explaining your experiences. Yes we are pretty lucky.

cmfuen

Reaction score

I had work done by Hetam prior to Bedo's where I noticed welt stitching imperfections...six inches from my face. I got the sense that Hetam was so slammed by then (his brother had started up already in Springfield), that he had to focus on the details that mattered. I'm certain he knew which ones did.
Since I'm in Fairfax, I go to Bedo's for convenience (and quality). I'm at ~50 pairs, so long wait times are not an issue.

jssdc

Reaction score
I just gave a pair of Vass to Aram for hand-stitched resoling and will post pics when they’re back in a month or so. I’ve used him in the past for flush metal taps and they were perfectly fine. I like that he does free pickup and delivery - I’m in central DC so going to falls church for bedo’s is not a great option.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not realize that Aram did free pickup and delivery. I may have to give him a shot. I have at the back of my mind that I want to send my Edward Greens back to the factory for a resole, but I am very impatient. And the last EG factory resole was less than satisfactory--the sole began peeling at the toe.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did not realize that Aram did free pickup and delivery. I may have to give him a shot. I have at the back of my mind that I want to send my Edward Greens back to the factory for a resole, but I am very impatient. And the last EG factory resole was less than satisfactory--the sole began peeling at the toe.
Mind if I ask how much the EG resole cost? Aram's website has a "closed channel hand stitched resole" for $350 which sounds like a fantastic price?

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off topic... But I'm looking into the idea of swapping over my Tudor Black Bay 58 on leather for something different.. thinking seamaster, speedy, IWC, vintage Rolex oyster or something.. Anyone keen?

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m surprised by eg factory issues.

Mind if I ask how much the EG resole cost? Aram's website has a "closed channel hand stitched resole" for $350 which sounds like a fantastic price?

Not sure about eg specifically, but I remember gaziano was 325£ excluding vat plus shipping back a few years ago. So I’d ballpark around, if not slightly higher than that.

jssdc

Reaction score
I’m surprised by eg factory issues.

Not sure about eg specifically, but I remember gaziano was 325£ excluding vat plus shipping back a few years ago. So I’d ballpark around, if not slightly higher than that.
I thought the general rubric was that your resole would be about 1/3 the cost of a repurchase. I’ve had two C&J handgrades go back this year and I’m pretty sure they were like US$350 each so that fits. I also sent back a Sargent but I can’t remember what that costs. So G&G I’d bet is at least $500. I’ve got a pair of those I need to send back too.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the general rubric was that your resole would be about 1/3 the cost of a repurchase. I’ve had two C&J handgrades go back this year and I’m pretty sure they were like US$350 each so that fits. I also sent back a Sargent but I can’t remember what that costs. So G&G I’d bet is at least $500. I’ve got a pair of those I need to send back too.
I just checked, when I asked it was February 2020 right before Covid. So price may have gone up. Remember I quoted pounds, so 500 might be right. 500 usd is ~385 £

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterpeter2