• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roygbivuxg

Reaction score
Creasing on my derbies is pretty obvious but nowhere near as large as those. Still waiting for suede/smooth leather derbies...

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't particularly like the look of the Feit lows, but I find the concept of the shoe really compelling. I measure a 9.5D on the Brannock and tried both 42 and 43 but couldn't get a good fit. I wear 10 in Nike/Adidas, 9D in AE, and 42 in Achilles. I'll probably try a 43 again when I find another good deal on them.

Couldn't one buy leather and cork insoles to add to any shoe, though?

Very contradictory post piblondin - if you don't like the look of a shoe why are even thinking about purchasing them? You say you find the concept compelling, what do you find so compelling that makes you want to buy them even though you don't like the way they look? Seriously I'm really intrigued because however much I might admire a shoes "concept" if I didn't like it's overall aesthetic I wouldn't consider purchasing them unless I was going to frame them.

Sure you can buy leather and cork insoles (although they won't be cut specifically for the last of your shoes) but I think you're missing the point, the insoles are specifically designed to allow you to get a a better fit. I don't use the cork in the hand sewn lows, just the leather, but in the hiker I use both.

piblondin

Reaction score

Very contradictory post piblondin - if you don't like the look of a shoe why are even thinking about purchasing them? You say you find the concept compelling, what do you find so compelling that makes you want to buy them even though you don't like the way they look? Seriously I'm really intrigued because however much I might admire a shoes "concept" if I didn't like it's overall aesthetic I wouldn't consider purchasing them unless I was going to frame them.

Sure you can buy leather and cork insoles (although they won't be cut specifically for the last of your shoes) but I think you're missing the point, the insoles are specifically designed to allow you to get a a better fit. I don't use the cork in the hand sewn lows, just the leather, but in the hiker I use both.

I find the idea of a Goodyear (or Blake) welted, resolable, crafted-by-a-single person, premium, leather sneaker to be quite compelling. Name another shoe with those qualities, and I'll consider it.

Other shoes whose look I don't love but am willing to buy because I find something about them compelling: unstructured running shoes, Nike HyperAdapts, not sure what else at this point....

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I find the idea of a Goodyear (or Blake) welted, resolable, crafted-by-a-single person, premium, leather sneaker to be quite compelling. Name another shoe with those qualities, and I'll consider it.

Other shoes whose look I don't love but am willing to buy because I find something about them compelling: unstructured running shoes, Nike HyperAdapts, not sure what else at this point....

Hender Scheme.

Szeen

Reaction score
I don't mind creasing on my shoes; but on the derbies, it looks like the are going to crack soon lol

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps not the appropriate thread, but I wasn't sure where else to ask it, and I figure people in here may know.

Consensus on sizing for MMM GATs? One up from CP Achilles size?

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Now just need to sift through sales to find one discounted...!

piblondin

Reaction score

Hender Scheme.

Yes, definitely a label I'm aware of and like. Would love to try a pair of their GATs or Jordan 4s, but will wait for a deal or a used pair so I can try sizing them. Seems like I would either be a 5 or a 6, given that I wear US10 in Nike. Do you know what kind of welt they use on their shoes? I would also love to see some that have been really worn. The only thing keeping me away is the price. I've found new Feits for $100-$300, but have never seen Henders that low.

Last edited:

mykoh

Reaction score
thoughts on this pair?

cp_0620_tan_suede_v_4.jpg

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like them, I wouldn't get them though simply because they don't go with my ****.
I've been looking for the taupe suede achilles on sale though, I missed my size at TBS.

piblondin

Reaction score

mmm gats are tts (they come in half-sizes too)

retros have a roomier toebox than achilles, but not enough to warrant sizing down

Shoot. I got the Retros one size down from my Achilles. Same size had my heel slipping nearly out of the shoe when I tried them, but now I'm wondering if they just needed to be broken in?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads