• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.

eckblk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just email Guidi. They have really good cs from my experience. Seems like one of your derby's is missing a "toe puff".

Last edited:

eckblk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you explain to Holger that it is not due to the dye hardening the leather but an actual toe puff missing? He might be misunderstading you. I'm sure he or Guidi will sort it out.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see, but anyway, according to Holger it's totally normal:

'It is normal. Duo to the piece dyed process i see a lot of this similar things. I sell guidi since almost 5 years and this is normal.

My biggest problem now is, i can not go to GUIDI with this "problem" because it is not a problem. What do we do now? I want help, but difficult. please advice ...'

I don't want to blame Holger, but this is pretty bullshit. It sucks so much if I spent €790 for one shoe with structured toe, one shoe with non-structured toe - right now it looks like I'm just fucked and neither Holger or Guidi can/want to help.
Well, if one toe is in fact missing the salpa (just for future reference, that is the term for the leather piece that shapes the toe box), and the other is not, that is NOT normal. On the other hand, if the salpa was merely crushed, then it may be perfectly normal. If you reach into the shoe, you will be able to tell, merely from the thickness, whether one toe box is actually structurally different.

FWIW, Guidi MTO often have some minor issues, ime. Usually nothing major, but certainly, that for any other company, might have been rejected as seconds by a traditional company. However, I'm guessing that they figure that the object dyeing makes the shoe rather distressed anyway. For example, I have a pair of MTO 017 that are great, but on the sole, it's clear that some one mishandled the stitching machine at some point during the stitching of the sole onto the upper, as there is a line of pin prick holes (not deep, but definitly there) that go across the sole). It's definitely NOT a "feature".

I've seen this on other Guidi boots as well, though usually on MTOs, and less on production models.

Benjaminba

Reaction score
I told him that one seems to have a "toe cap" and the other not... I don't know if that means the same thing as "toe puff", but I sent images too and an explanation of what happens when you press down on the toe area.

You are reassuring me, thank you. I've been a little panicky. :)

Last edited:

Wupper

Reaction score

I told him that one seems to have a "toe cap" and the other not... I don't know if that means the same thing as "toe puff", but I sent images too and an explanation of what happens when you press down on the toe area. 

You are reassuring me, thank you. I've been a little panicky. :)

Good luck! Please keep us informed.

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
slight change of topic, i am staring to consider a derby and am wondering what some thoughts are on the below 3 choices. I don't want a rounded toe (ma+/L0 are out), prefer something sleek that if i want to i can wear with a suit to a formal event. What would work best? I wouldn't get anything scarred or crazy...

guidi

The guidis actually look very oxford-like; is there some subtle (or unsubtle!) detail/distinction I'm missing?

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The guidis actually look very oxford-like; is there some subtle (or unsubtle!) detail/distinction I'm missing?

nope they were even referred to as the business derby... i don't own any guidi but always like what they do, maybe this is my entry point... but but but a1923/ccp :drool:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a "wholecut", but it's actually more open laced then most wholecuts. I am not sure that the traditional naming conventions can always be applied to this and several other models.

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a "wholecut", but it's actually more open laced then most wholecuts. I am not sure that the traditional naming conventions can always be applied to this and several other models.

Yah, I got a 10sei0otto wholecut that was referred to as a "derby" but afaict there's nothing derby-like at all about it. Not super hung up on the nomenclature, just find it somewhat odd. With the ma+ double fold you can see how it's kind of riffing on the derby as a concept b/c of the way the folds work, but with some of the things that get called derbies I just have no idea.

futuresailors

Reaction score
Yah, I got a 10sei0otto wholecut that was referred to as a "derby" but afaict there's nothing derby-like at all about it. Not super hung up on the nomenclature, just find it somewhat odd. With the ma+ double fold you can see how it's kind of riffing on the derby as a concept b/c of the way the folds work, but with some of the things that get called derbies I just have no idea.

Derby just refers to the construction for the lace holes. If there's a flap, it's a derby. If not, it's an oxford.
derbyvsoxford2.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads