• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldenwear

Reaction score
hi guys, i'm getting alden #563 (aberdeen last) in dark burgundy colour but not really sure on which size to get.
on a brannock device, my feet measured 9,5EE

however, the vendor only carries D and E width. should i upsize to 10? if so, which width should i get? or will the 9,5E stretch in time?
i'm very eager for an answer, any helps are greatly appreciated :D

I don't think you can count on the leather stretching.

But many people go down one width on the tassel loafer because the shoe has a high instep. For this reason 9.5E may work. If it is too tight, a 10E would give you more room and may work.

docalden2013

Reaction score
OT, but I've got both Barbour International and Belstaff Roadmaster. I find I wear the Roadmaster about 10:1 compared to the Barbour.

Thanks, zippyh. I think I like the Roadmaster better myself, but not sure yet if it's worth the extra cost over the Barbour Int'l, which I can readily get in my town. At least I know I'm on the right track with stylish folks like you, zippyh, and Namor and the other folks who've indulged my tangent. To keep it Alden-relevant, I just want to make sure my Alden faves such as my grant lasted cap toe #8 boots and naval boots look ok with the new gear. Also hoping that my Indys, which only get used in inclement weather don't clash with the new coat...

Btw, Sazon, my condolences on the scratch. It looks like you're taking things in stride and not panicking. This reminds me I still have yet to remove the scratches my office chair made on my grant boots.

docalden2013

Reaction score
I love my Barbour Bedale. I got it last winter along with a Barbour International A-1. The Bedale is much more versatile for me. I also got the removable hood and a liner which is functional, but also helps change up the look a bit.

I wear the Bedale often, but I feel like I'm trying to look like a rock star in the A-1. If memory serves, the Roadmaster is similar to the A-1. I love the belted look and it can look dapper. I just love this photo, so I'd thought I'd share:
That is a cool pic, indeed, macjedi. I think wearing a belted coat is all about wearing it with gusto, without a hint of apology. I'm not sure I'm there quite yet, so the Bedale remains a strong contender, especially as it's shorter in length than the Beaufort (us thin guys need to be careful about not rocking too roomy a coat, I'm told). Which aldens do you wear your Bedale with, macj?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
OT, but I've got both Barbour International and Belstaff Roadmaster. I find I wear the Roadmaster about 10:1 compared to the Barbour.

Thanks, zippyh. I think I like the Roadmaster better myself, but not sure yet if it's worth the extra cost over the Barbour Int'l, which I can readily get in my town. At least I know I'm on the right track with stylish folks like you, zippyh, and Namor and the other folks who've indulged my tangent. To keep it Alden-relevant, I just want to make sure my Alden faves such as my grant lasted cap toe #8 boots and naval boots look ok with the new gear. Also hoping that my Indys, which only get used in inclement weather don't clash with the new coat...

Btw, Sazon, my condolences on the scratch. It looks like you're taking things in stride and not panicking. This reminds me I still have yet to remove the scratches my office chair made on my grant boots. 

Figure out which one you want and then just wait for a deal on it.
I paid under $200 for my International via Bloomingdales.
I actually have two Roadmasters. One I paid full price for but the other was around $300 at Barney's.

Also the J Crew coupons will often work on Barbour and Belstaff like they do with some Aldens.

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is a cool pic, indeed, macjedi. I think wearing a belted coat is all about wearing it with gusto, without a hint of apology. I'm not sure I'm there quite yet, so the Bedale remains a strong contender, especially as it's shorter in length than the Beaufort (us thin guys need to be careful about not rocking too roomy a coat, I'm told). Which aldens do you wear your Bedale with, macj?

Yeah, the Barbour's are roomy. I typically wear a 36, but got them in 34's iirc. I've worn the Bedale with most of my Alden collection:

403 Indy
Cigar LWB
Whiskey LWB
#8 NST Boot (plaza)
Nat. CXL Wingtip Boot (j.crew)
Tan Wingtip Boot (j. Gilbert)
#8 LHS
#8 Chukkas

I think it looks great with just about everything. Chinos, flannels, tweeds, OCBDs, sweaters, jeans … maybe no white bucks or espadrilles ;)

Rishi Kakar

Reaction score
I love my Barbour Bedale. I got it last winter along with a Barbour International A-1. The Bedale is much more versatile for me. I also got the removable hood and a liner which is functional, but also helps change up the look a bit.

I wear the Bedale often, but I feel like I'm trying to look like a rock star in the A-1. If memory serves, the Roadmaster is similar to the A-1. I love the belted look and it can look dapper. I just love this photo, so I'd thought I'd share:

Very distinguisehed look macjedi

shaunw

Reaction score

where are the Aldens??

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

I don't think you can count on the leather stretching.  

But many people go down one width on the tassel loafer because the shoe has a high instep.  For this reason 9.5E may work.  If it is too tight, a 10E would give you more room and may work.  

I would encourage you to try the shoes on if remotely possible. I am a 10.5C (TTS) and after trying on about 8 shoes, I ended up going with the 11B, as I found it to be the most comfortable to me.

Just a data point. But it does depend on factors beyond just the length and width of your foot.

BTW, the 563 is one of my favorite Alden's and is a very under rated shoe here... :)

-Mike

Last edited:

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very distinguisehed look macjedi

where are the Aldens??

Sorry if I mislead anyone; that dapper gentlemen isn't me … just love the photo.

Today, no Barbour … it's in the high 80s :(

wildstar

Reaction score
battle wounds today from the commute:
This is so not like the other forums I read! 15 hours in and not one "it's just a flesh wound" or "that'll buff right out comment". Amazing
smile.gif

Sorry to see the scar there Sazon but at least you have a nice story and memory to go with it. +1 to seeing pics after your touch up.

Last edited:

wildstar

Reaction score
Whiskey LWB today. You can see the remnants of my latest AE purchase in the background, haha!

Looking good man, great color combo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics