• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

REguy

Reaction score

I don't know why but the captoe on these look a bit clownish

The modified is a real chameleon. I've passed on some models because of the Bozo look, while others almost look more sleek. I think saddles and Indys look particularly nice on the modified.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
975s today. Getting creative with my skylight light. Exposed the selvedge for the young bucks.

Carson

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I picked up a pair of Alden 405's yesterday (the "original" waxy brown, not the J Crew chromexcel) and was wondering if anyone uses Saphir Renovateur (or other Saphir products) on them?? My intention is to use them for "nice casual" - denim and chinos - rather than beating them up ala Indy, so that's why I am asking. I haven't heard of anyone doing this from my perusal of the forum, so just wanted to see if this would be appropriate.

Thanks in advance

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi everyone. I picked up a pair of Alden 405's yesterday (the "original" waxy brown, not the J Crew chromexcel) and was wondering if anyone uses Saphir Renovateur (or other Saphir products) on them?? My intention is to use them for "nice casual" - denim and chinos - rather than beating them up ala Indy, so that's why I am asking. I haven't heard of anyone doing this from my perusal of the forum, so just wanted to see if this would be appropriate. 

Thanks in advance

I used Saphir Reno on my Indy CXL's, but it wasn't really necessary. it ended up turning the white stitching around the moc toe a brownish color. just use a brush to keep 'em clean

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used Saphir Reno on my Indy CXL's, but it wasn't really necessary. it ended up turning the white stitching around the moc toe a brownish color. just use a brush to keep 'em clean

This^^

Reno will cause a bit of bleed with the natural dye in the shoe from my experience, moving it into the stitching if not careful. I now just wipe down my CXL indys with a damn cloth and hit them with Lexol if they need conditioning. I would say you could just stick to a similar routine for the 405

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

975s today. Getting creative with my skylight light. Exposed the selvedge for the young bucks.

Which jeans are those? I've noticed lots of folks wearing RRL lately.

Carson

Reaction score
This^^

Reno will cause a bit of bleed with the natural dye in the shoe from my experience, moving it into the stitching if not careful. I now just wipe down my CXL indys with a damn cloth and hit them with Lexol if they need conditioning. I would say you could just stick to a similar routine for the 405
Thanks for the responses…yes, I agree that Reno is not ideal for CXL (though I use it for cavalier), but the original 405 is a waxy calf leather that is totally different from CXL, which is why I originally posted.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which jeans are those?

I've noticed lots of folks wearing RRL lately.
They're Joe's. Very lightweight. sub 12 oz. The only selvedge I'd wear in the summer. I think the model is Brixton.

trunks206

Reaction score

AoC and Alden are working on it. 

Is anyone doing Shortwing bluchers in either Cigar or Ravello at the moment? 

Leathersoul are the only ones to do a SWB in Ravello.

4a9aa775.jpg

As for Cigar, Mike at Epaulet agreed to do a run for us a while back. That order was placed back in 2011 and nothing has come of it most people (if not all) of us were refunded since Alden handnt even confirmed the order 2+ years later.

I know you didnt ask about them but to complete the shell rainbow and for general Alden knowledge...

Tassels out in Hong Kong did a Whiskey pair way back in 2011

AldenWhiskeyWing-Tip_zps28d3cf3e.jpg

And Tom at Leathersoul did a 'Styleforum' #8 shortwings for us after we talked about it in this thread. I'm still kicking myself for not putting myself on the list. Honestly cant tell what I was thinking then. :(

IMG_4232.JPG

While on the subject of LS...
Question: With this recent talk of LS ramping down their Alden offerings has anyone been to LS Hawaii recently that can confirm their lack of Alden offerings or are things being based on them not having new stuff posted on their website? Tom has always stressed that they are a brick and mortar store first so he liked to take care of their walk in customers more, so maybe they just got tired of being slammed with emails and calls of people looking to buy their newest offerings after they're posted which are likely already sold out and it was just easier to just not put them up (Didnt Alden also tell all retailers to not put up any of the rare shell offering online even to just show them off?) With all that said I guess you'd eventually get pictures in here if they were still churning out stuff...or maybe no Alden thread regulars can afford a vacation to Hawaii because of their addiction to Alden? :lol:

After typing all this out man I miss the days when we could do these special makeups with retailers and Alden :( Who remembers the contest that LS did where if they chose your Alden design they made it and you got a free pair!? I submitted a badass pair of saddles! I cant remember what boot I suggested.

seasquirrel

Reaction score
I don't know why but the captoe on these look a bit clownish

The modified is a real chameleon. I've passed on some models because of the Bozo look, while others almost look more sleek. I think saddles and Indys look particularly nice on the modified.

Definitely agree with you, @REguy, that some Modifieds are more bozo than others.

The camera angle I used in that pic really accentuates the bozo-nature of these cap toes! Plus, I'm EEE width, so there's no hope for sleekness here. :D

Usually they don't seem QUITE as clownish from above, IMHO:

mistercitizen

Reaction score
I have a question. Has anyone tried to "antique" the edges on a pair of Alden #9901 Black Shell Cordovan PTB's? Either a brand new pair or by having it done on a re-craft? I like the look of the Alden for Unionmade PTB in Black Regina Grain Calf:

12237-01_1401409744.jpg

But I'd rather the upper be black shell instead of calfskin. Definitely a more casual look with the antiqued edge trim, but that's what I'm going for with these.

Ben

totalair1

Reaction score
I was recently at LS Waikiki and they did not have much in Alden shell of any color, even black. Still a decent Alden offering but nothing like I would expect. The LS downtown is their flagship store. to be honest...I had a hard time finding the Waikiki store. You can't see it from the street, I had to call and ask them. Turns out it's on the 2nd or 3rd level of some stores connected to a hotel. Once you find it it does have a large selection of shoes, but not as many Alden's as I anticipated.

See Ya,
Steve

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AoC and Alden are working on it. 

Is anyone doing Shortwing bluchers in either Cigar or Ravello at the moment? 

Leathersoul are the only ones to do a SWB in Ravello.

4a9aa775.jpg

I used to own those 3 models (from left to right, Alden SF, Unionmade (Kirkwood Boot)**, and LSW, respectively). 3 great models no doubt - indeed, wonderful. Sold them all - three of the various models regarding which my feet had a disagreement with the Barrie last. They never were comfortable, even after numerous wears. Feet hurt - literally - at the end of the day. I have various Barrie models - in the same size - where that is not the case, and which are very comfortable. Go figure .... I almost never buy Barrie anymore. Oh well.

**The boot pictured appears to perhaps be on the Grant last.

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was at LS Waikiki in May. Alden selection was slim. Slimmest I've ever seen there.
They had tons of Lobbs and EG though.

Downtown store is a PITA to get to if you're staying in Waikiki.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was recently at LS Waikiki and they did not have much in Alden shell of any color, even black.  Still a decent Alden offering but nothing like I would expect. The LS downtown is their flagship store.  to be honest...I had a hard time finding the Waikiki store.  You can't see it from the street, I had to call and ask them.  Turns out it's on the 2nd or 3rd level of some stores connected to a hotel.  Once you find it it does have a large selection of shoes, but not as many Alden's as I anticipated.

See Ya,
Steve

I have been to LSW (2013) but not to LSDT. I was not terribly impressed with their Alden offerings. As to which is their flagship store, at least it used to be LSW, but perhaps that has changed.

http://www.royalhawaiiancenter.com/info/RHC_LeatherSoulExpansion_NR.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads