• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Continuing this train of thought, we should run a poll of which Alden shoes get the best reaction from wives/girlfriends/girls at bars/any other potential love interests. Similar to a huge thread on Basenotes (the cologne forum) on "Which cologne gets the most female compliments." Everyone list their top three.

1) Leffot Navy CXL Greenwich Boot (almost every time)
2) Cigar Captoe Boots
3) Leffot Color 8 / Alpine Grain Saddles

Other good ones are color 8 wingtip boots, Leffot antique color 8 longwings, and ravello tassels.

I have only ever gotten complimented one one pair of shoes. My whiskey LWB. Almost everytime I wear them.
My wife's favorite pair of mine seems to evolve. At first her favorite pair were my Alden CXL PTBs. Now it is my whiskey LWB. She likes my #8 Indys too...

aldenwear

Reaction score

I always liked the BB wingtip.  Do you also own the 975 (LWB-8), and find any redundancy?  I'm considering getting a pair of the BB wingtip but can't seem to justify two pairs of shoes separated really only by the length of the wing (and a few other minor differentiators)

The longwinv, being a blusher and on barrie last, is more casual than the short wing which is a Balmoral and on a slimmer, more formal, last. The short wing can go more comfortably with suits and the long wing can go more casual than the shortwimg.

There is some overlap but, be real. Particularly here, you know these are two wildly different shoes and you need both.

enjoy

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats Don, that is a great club to join. What is your plan for wearing them -- suits? casual wear?
I've been a member for quite a while. Was commenting on the number of #8 boots being worn today. I wear them both casually and with sports coat/slacks or suit

Nice boots, Don. Which model are those? Care to share more pics??
These are the AF79 from Adam at Alden Carmel.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

The longwinv, being a blusher and on barrie last, is more casual than the short wing which is a Balmoral and on a slimmer, more formal, last. The short wing can go more comfortably with suits and the long wing can go more casual than the shortwimg.

There is some overlap but, be real. Particularly here, you know these are two wildly different shoes and you need both.

enjoy

I agree. I do not consider a longwing blucher and a shortwing balmoral redundant. Even in the same color. Two different shoes with different uses. You need both without a doubt!

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Continuing this train of thought, we should run a poll of which Alden shoes get the best reaction from wives/girlfriends/girls at bars/any other potential love interests. Similar to a huge thread on Basenotes (the cologne forum) on "Which cologne gets the most female compliments." Everyone list their top three.

1) Leffot Navy CXL Greenwich Boot (almost every time)
2) Cigar Captoe Boots
3) Leffot Color 8 / Alpine Grain Saddles

Other good ones are color 8 wingtip boots, Leffot antique color 8 longwings, and ravello tassels. Black captoe boots too.

My old CXL longwings probably would win this contest. I sold them and am getting tan suede longwings, which probably will get similar results.

Ladies at work seem to notice saddles more than other styles. My wife likes the boots.
1. Leffot #8-alpine saddles
2. Jcrew #8-suede saddles
3. Ravello wing boots
It's been mentioned here before, but most co-workers believe I have a big ALDO collection. I try to enunciate "alden", but they hear what they want to hear.

aldenwear

Reaction score

Funny. Despite my love for shells, I find the luck factor increases on date nights whenever I'm wearing either the blue cxl Greenwich wt boots or, gasp!, Frye harness boots. Dear wife doesn't appreciate the lustre or patina of shell...

my goodness, you are married and still relying on luck? Either you have a very complex life or your wife has not appreciated your entitlement to your manly due. Your choice footwear should be mere foreplay.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

These are the AF79 from Adam at Alden Carmel.  

They look so much better in your pics than on AOC site. Based off their pics I was hesitant on buying them. Right now, for a winged boot on Commando, they are the only game in town (in my size).

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Natural CXL Indy Boots on the Modified Last (from Moulded Shoe) about 3-4 weeks old now. Not pictured are the custom half-insole sock liners I made out of a piece of Natural CXL I had, since my heels have driven down the padding already, making them a bit roomy in the heel. These are breaking in wonderfully. It's amazing how much narrower the heel is on the modified last. The TruBalance last is just so wide in the heel it's ridiculous, I don't know how anyone can actually fit into it.

These have been Crane's method treated, with Lexol for oil and Obenauf's LP for waterproofing. They are a lovely golden brown color right now, probably a little bit darker than they look in the pics. These are being worn as real boots, since I have to go from office to dirt/mud/snow/sand/wet on a daily basis depending on the weather.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They look so much better in your pics than on AOC site. Based off their pics I was hesitant on buying them. Right now, for a winged boot on Commando, they are the only game in town (in my size).

Tifosi, I highly recommend those boots. Adam will answer any questions you have.

zr0e

Reaction score
Indy for sure :)

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I always liked the BB wingtip.  Do you also own the 975 (LWB-8), and find any redundancy?  I'm considering getting a pair of the BB wingtip but can't seem to justify two pairs of shoes separated really only by the length of the wing (and a few other minor differentiators)

I am not being flippant.

But I see this comparison as apples to oranges for numerous reasons (e.g., last, design, welt, formality). You should own both. :D

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Tifosi, I highly recommend those boots. Adam will answer any questions you have.

Thanks, Al. I have been in contact with Adam about them. I was at first put off by the fact that they do not have the brogueing around the heel, but I am re-thinking that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads