• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

docalden2013

Reaction score
I'd throw the 403 Indy into the mix. I just can't NOT wear it on most occasions.

It's my go-to casual date boot as well, so it tends to be a bit lucky
satisfied.gif
Funny. Despite my love for shells, I find the luck factor increases on date nights whenever I'm wearing either the blue cxl Greenwich wt boots or, gasp!, Frye harness boots. Dear wife doesn't appreciate the lustre or patina of shell...

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I always liked the BB wingtip.  Do you also own the 975 (LWB-8), and find any redundancy?  I'm considering getting a pair of the BB wingtip but can't seem to justify two pairs of shoes separated really only by the length of the wing (and a few other minor differentiators)

I don't have the 975 (I used to, but sold it a while ago). I do have a pair of the color 8 longwings in antique sole from Leffot. I really find little or no overlap between the two. The Brooks Brothers wingtip are on a sleek last (noticeably sleeker than the Tremont used in the Alden branded balmoral wingtips) and have a dark sole. It is a true dress shoe. My antique longwings are really a casual shoe that works best with denim, chinos and some flannels.

Comparing the classic 975 to the Brooks Brothers wingtip, again, the Brooks Brothers wingtip is a dress shoe really meant to be worn with suits, gabardine pants, etc. The 975 is more of a casual shoe, though it can also be worn with suits. However, the BB wingtip is much better with suits. If you wear suits multiple times a week, I really can't recommend the BB wingtips enough. The 975 can be relegated to Friday and weekend duty. The difference between the two models go well beyond length of wing - last, balmoral vs blucher, welt, height of sole, etc.

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Thanks guys for the explanation. I'll be sure to remember these differences when I explain the same to my wife
smile.gif

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) I'm enjoying all the pics of rare shell (and heretofore unseen by me models in #8) that have popped up on Shoe Mart. They're all out of stock, so it's kind of odd that they'd post them (kind of like taunting us), but it's cool to see everything. Kind of an Alden e-museum.

2). Those natty cxl perf. captoe boots are up on JCrew. Pretty disappointed by only 2 pictures and the description of leather soles when they are obviously commando.

GooseG

Reaction score
Funny. Despite my love for shells, I find the luck factor increases on date nights whenever I'm wearing either the blue cxl Greenwich wt boots or, gasp!, Frye harness boots. Dear wife doesn't appreciate the lustre or patina of shell...
Hmm... sounds like CXL is just a lucky leather.

But the question is, navy or brown? I've got a date tonight, and it's either these:

Or these:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmm... sounds like CXL is just a lucky leather. But the question is, navy or brown? I've got a date tonight, and it's either these:
Indy boots man, every girl likes them My gf doesn't but she saw my other shooz before too so not an issue

Last edited:

GooseG

Reaction score
LOL, all she wanted to do was knock boots at that point!

After yesterday's brief talk about lacing, I realized that my compulsions go far enough that I don't notice them. Right boot, right over left lacing..left boot, left over right.

I'm scared of buying more shell because I'll never stop brushing and buffing them.

totalair1

Reaction score
Quote: I've made the call to Citi Shoes multiple time and the survey says:

Hi Guys-I wanted to check back in this fall and see if you got anything in my size in whiskey, ravello, or cigar size 13D or 13E? I'm interested in shoes or boots in those colors and sizes.

Best Regards,

Steve

The response:

Hello Steve

I am sorry nothing yet in those colors and sizes.

Thank you
Voltaire

See Ya,
Steve

Last edited:

CEE88

Reaction score

LOL, all she wanted to do was knock boots at that point!

After yesterday's brief talk about lacing, I realized that my compulsions go far enough that I don't notice them.  Right boot, right over left lacing..left boot, left over right.

I'm scared of buying more shell because I'll never stop brushing and buffing them.

GooseG, as you're buffing and brushing all your shell, you'll be wondering what you used to do with all your free time.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmmm... Maybe she knows what you paid for your shells, and this is her way of punishing you?

CEE88

Reaction score

Joining the #8 Boot club - AOC Wing's
Congrats Don, that is a great club to join. What is your plan for wearing them -- suits? casual wear?

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Continuing this train of thought, we should run a poll of which Alden shoes get the best reaction from wives/girlfriends/girls at bars/any other potential love interests. Similar to a huge thread on Basenotes (the cologne forum) on "Which cologne gets the most female compliments." Everyone list their top three.

1) Leffot Navy CXL Greenwich Boot (almost every time)
2) Cigar Captoe Boots
3) Leffot Color 8 / Alpine Grain Saddles

Other good ones are color 8 wingtip boots, Leffot antique color 8 longwings, and ravello tassels. Black captoe boots too.

My old CXL longwings probably would win this contest. I sold them and am getting tan suede longwings, which probably will get similar results.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads