• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My brother and I took Mom to the movies to watch "Civil War" which was actually really good. Was better than I expected. Viewed it at the Tanforan Cinema which is probably the only thing keeping the mall open.

Some people may remember, but a long time ago, Tanforan was a horse racetrack. During WWII, they used it as a round-up point for the Japanese Americans. My grandparents were among those who were brought here.

There is a memorial site dedicated to those interned during the war and my mother showed my brother and I the bricks she had dedicated to my Grandma and Grandpa.
View attachment 2166737

After the movie, I stopped by Brogue to chat with Mack and catch up on future make-ups. Tried on a TruBalance Indy in a normal D width since I was wearing thick wool Chup socks, but found it still was a little wide and that I will continue with C widths for TB.

One of those future make-ups arrived and he presented it to me in a special wooden box. I'm not allowed to share what was inside, but these Aldens are VERY special! These are to commemorate Brogue's 9th Anniversary.
View attachment 2166751
View attachment 2166759

Finally, be on the lookout for a special collab make-up! Not sure what we'll call it, but those who know me may have some idea of the specs. From the sounds of it, they're already in production!
CZm8jWaWQAA0XN0.jpg

Franky

Reaction score
I know they’re hard, but I know they exist! So, it can’t be impossible. Hopefully someone can offer advice as to how it can happen! If it takes being on a waiting list for 2 years that’s fine, I’m not in a hurry. I just don’t know if anybody keeps a list.
The issue is that retailers generally don’t have a “stock” shoe they make and the rare shell color also varies. So you’re kinda stuck getting offered stuff you’re not interested in a lot of the time. I’m on a few lists, I’ve been shown 2 boots and a plain toe blucher. Wait times were 3 years, and two 5 year waits. I’d recommend getting on as many lists as you can by calling retailers and looking at eBay for you size and maybe get lucky.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up these Unlined Shell Dover's from Brick and Mortar second hand. Been looking for a pair for a while. Was able to put some life back in them with a little TLC. Super comfortable. I'm super happy.

View attachment 2166059 View attachment 2166061

In addition to @smfdoc comment, to the best of my knowledge, the B&M make is the only one with a flat welt. I can’t justify knew but have been scanning all the usual places for a used pair. You got the best of the best. Congrats.

Speaking of @smfdoc, those Ravello wings? Good grief, incredible!
If anyone is up for a trade, I have a pair of 2nds new #8 unlined dovers in an 8.5d, raised welt. Would like to trade for some with a flat welt. Prefer new.

Last edited:

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have finally worn my Alden LHS in #8 out (the vamp is starting to split, so I think this is a replacement situation), and so I’m getting ready to buy a replacement pair of the #8 plus a pair in black cordovan. I’d also really like pairs in Whiskey and #4, though.

How tough is it to get the rare shell models? I haven’t seen them for sale anywhere, and I’ve been shopping for about 6 months. I hear you need a relationship to get them; does it make sense to direct my purchases to a retailer that gives me a shot at buying the other colors? If so, which retailer and how would I go about making that interest known? I’d rather not buy from a flipper and I really would prefer to buy from a shop that is interested in a longer term relationship.
Alden DC just got a run of Ravello Tassel Loafers. Don’t know what’s left, but you could inquire.

slows2k

Reaction score
I have finally worn my Alden LHS in #8 out (the vamp is starting to split, so I think this is a replacement situation), and so I’m getting ready to buy a replacement pair of the #8 plus a pair in black cordovan. I’d also really like pairs in Whiskey and #4, though.
Okay, weird request, but if you can would you be willing to take a pic of what the worn out cordovan LHS look like? we get a ton of pics of nice looking shoes but not a lot with a ton of wear at the end of their life, unless you wanna go to eBay and look at trashed ones.

I always thought trashed shoes look different than ones cared for but worn out.

rdaws

Reaction score
Okay, weird request, but if you can would you be willing to take a pic of what the worn out cordovan LHS look like? we get a ton of pics of nice looking shoes but not a lot with a ton of wear at the end of their life, unless you wanna go to eBay and look at trashed ones.

I always thought trashed shoes look different than ones cared for but worn out.

Sure, here’s a pic of the vamp. This pair got a really weird flat crease early, and as time went on it started developing a small tear in that area. Now that the soles and heels are worn out, I don’t think it’s worth resoling, because the vamp won’t get better and is likely to get worse.

IMG_9379.jpeg

slows2k

Reaction score
Sure, here’s a pic of the vamp. This pair got a really weird flat crease early, and as time went on it started developing a small tear in that area. Now that the soles and heels are worn out, I don’t think it’s worth resoling, because the vamp won’t get better and is likely to get worse.

View attachment 2168285

Oh, INTERESTING. Ive definitely gotten flat creases in shell in the past but never worried too much about them. I wonder if there's a way to mitigate that strange style of crease. I have heard of people using the pen method but never tried it myself. I do usually try and bend my toes and put all my weight on my tip-toes the first time I wear some new shell, to try and set some acute creases prior to walking around.

I would probably keep these ones as absolute beaters and just see what they'll stand up to as time wore on.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How tough is it to get the rare shell models? I haven’t seen them for sale anywhere, and I’ve been shopping for about 6 months. I hear you need a relationship to get them; does it make sense to direct my purchases to a retailer that gives me a shot at buying the other colors? If so, which retailer and how would I go about making that interest known? I’d rather not buy from a flipper and I really would prefer to buy from a shop that is interested in a longer term relationship.

Alden DC just got a run of Ravello Tassel Loafers. Don’t know what’s left, but you could inquire.
Was gonna mention Alden DC like @Vincent George. They sell a lot of loafers there and would be worthwhile reaching out to. My advice would be to give them a call and tell them what you're looking for.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 2168285
It's often forgotten that shell cordovan is, counterintuitively, finished flesh-side-out. So while that may look like a tear, it might actually just be a non-structural separation on the flesh like you'd see on suede. It's especially likely since its not in a stress point, it's just in a flex point. The structural tearing that's really a problem is if the splitting is on the grain side (which is the reverse side) at stress points. You might find that with some conditioner and the back of a spoon that you can actually buff a lot of that "tear" out of the shoe.

rdaws

Reaction score
Oh, INTERESTING. Ive definitely gotten flat creases in shell in the past but never worried too much about them. I wonder if there's a way to mitigate that strange style of crease. I have heard of people using the pen method but never tried it myself. I do usually try and bend my toes and put all my weight on my tip-toes the first time I wear some new shell, to try and set some acute creases prior to walking around.

I would probably keep these ones as absolute beaters and just see what they'll stand up to as time wore on.

It's often forgotten that shell cordovan is, counterintuitively, finished flesh-side-out. So while that may look like a tear, it might actually just be a non-structural separation on the flesh like you'd see on suede. It's especially likely since its not in a stress point, it's just in a flex point. The structural tearing that's really a problem is if the splitting is on the grain side (which is the reverse side) at stress points. You might find that with some conditioner and the back of a spoon that you can actually buff a lot of that "tear" out of the shoe.

Think so? I sent pics of it to Bedo a while back and the response was basically “that’s gonna cost like $350 and it’s only gonna be a temporary fix, maybe buy new ones” (paraphrasing)

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think so? I sent pics of it to Bedo a while back and the response was basically “that’s gonna cost like $350 and it’s only gonna be a temporary fix, maybe buy new ones” (paraphrasing)

Do you use shoe trees after every wear? You could also stand to bone those rolls out. That hole or tear ain’t ever gonna be brushed out lol. I’d try hide glue (horse) using a toothpick and maintain the flatness of the area with a shoe tree and bone.

rdaws

Reaction score
Do you use shoe trees after every wear? You could also stand to bone those rolls out. That hole or tear ain’t ever gonna be brushed out lol. I’d try hide glue (horse) using a toothpick and maintain the flatness of the area with a shoe tree and bone.

Yeah, I’m pretty obsessive about using trees. They aren’t in the pic because I wanted to demonstrate the crease.

Haven’t looked at using a bone to get the crease out. Might be worth considering, but at the same time I might just replace them - they need a minimum of $250 worth of work to replace the heels and soles, and I have limited appetite to invest further when the vamp is in such rough shape. Based on how it is wearing vs my other cordovan shoes and vs the right shoe I suspect it’s just a bad piece of hide.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m pretty obsessive about using trees. They aren’t in the pic because I wanted to demonstrate the crease.

Haven’t looked at using a bone to get the crease out. Might be worth considering, but at the same time I might just replace them - they need a minimum of $250 worth of work to replace the heels and soles, and I have limited appetite to invest further when the vamp is in such rough shape. Based on how it is wearing vs my other cordovan shoes and vs the right shoe I suspect it’s just a bad piece of hide.
Yeah creases come back a bit after wear but I look at it as kind of a reset. I’d still look into the hide glue as a hold however long so it doesn’t progress.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads