• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayDotz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for your response! hmm i wonder if the front of the modified last needs to be lined to maintain it’s unique shape.. thanks again for your help. looks like i might just opt for #54321 with this intel.

I doubt it has anything to do with the modified last in particular. Alden runs very few unlined shell models in general. Now that the unlined lhs from brooks bros is no more, the only unlined model made with any regularity that I can think of is the dover. I guess theres the unlined boots for anatomica as well.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
I doubt it has anything to do with the modified last in particular. Alden runs very few unlined shell models in general. Now that the unlined lhs from brooks bros is no more, the only unlined model made with any regularity that I can think of is the dover. I guess theres the unlined boots for anatomica as well.

There are still suede and CXL LHS that have no lining in front. Granted the Brooks Bros shell models had far less lining.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently purchased these Hampsteads from Ealdwine. Normally a boot guy but I am loving these after work/weekends. Big fan of the Navy Chromexcel! Photo is from trying them on out of the box please ignore the poor cuffs.

Not sure if this has happened to anyone else but had a nail sticking up through the insole. Not a big deal as I took care of it but just curious if that's happened to anyone else?
20220804_172417.jpg

Peitron

Reaction score
Currently in Shoe Jail with my wife, but working on breaking out to get me one of these beauties:

PXL_20220723_192752217.jpg
PXL_20220723_192801675.jpg

My only concern is that the Barrie last is wide-dish. I was fitted a 9.5 D/B at the NYC store a couple of weeks ago. I wear 10.5 D in the AE 65 and it's very close to perfect in all respects. The Alden did feel a bit roomy in the forefront. I might have to go back and try on a 9.5 C just to be sure.

Do many of you size down in width as well?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Currently in Shoe Jail with my wife, but working on breaking out to get me one of these beauties:

View attachment 1819896 View attachment 1819897

My only concern is that the Barrie last is wide-dish. I was fitted a 9.5 D/B at the NYC store a couple of weeks ago. I wear 10.5 D in the AE 65 and it's very close to perfect in all respects. The Alden did feel a bit roomy in the forefront. I might have to go back and try on a 9.5 C just to be sure.

While everyone is different, I typically see people drop in length only, not width. The Barrie will feel wider than the 65 last. The shell LWB is just a classic.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wear 9D in the 65 last and 8.5C in the Barrie with shoes. They fit a little tight, but I'll adjust the split-toe shoe trees in my 8.5C to stretch them and they fit just about perfect! This is wearing dress socks. I'm also an 8.5C in TruBalance, even with thick boot socks.

For boots, I wear 8.5D in Barrie and use wool boot socks and that works well for me. If you're close to an Alden retailer, I would recommend taking dress socks that you plan on wearing with your shoes in so you can test the fit. I did that when trying on the Plaza last and found I need an 8.5D in shoes but 9D in boots on that last. I could probably get away with 8.5D in Plaza boots.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear 9D in the 65 last and 8.5C in the Barrie with shoes. They fit a little tight, but I'll adjust the split-toe shoe trees in my 8.5C to stretch them and they fit just about perfect! This is wearing dress socks. I'm also an 8.5C in TruBalance, even with thick boot socks.

For boots, I wear 8.5D in Barrie and use wool boot socks and that works well for me. If you're close to an Alden retailer, I would recommend taking dress socks that you plan on wearing with your shoes in so you can test the fit. I did that when trying on the Plaza last and found I need an 8.5D in shoes but 9D in boots on that last. I could probably get away with 8.5D in Plaza boots.
Also 9D in 65. I go 8.5D Barrie and soak up the the slight roominess with a memory foam insole. Best of both worlds. Instead of bringing the shell closer to my feet by sizing down more, I raise my feet closer to the shell with the foam platform. No pinching, smooth fit, super cushy ride!

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

no. Just one more data point for you. I wear a 13B in AE65, fits beautifully, and a 12.5 B in Barrie, again fits beautifully and no room to adjust the width down.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently purchased these Hampsteads from Ealdwine. Normally a boot guy but I am loving these after work/weekends. Big fan of the Navy Chromexcel! Photo is from trying them on out of the box please ignore the poor cuffs.

Not sure if this has happened to anyone else but had a nail sticking up through the insole. Not a big deal as I took care of it but just curious if that's happened to anyone else?
View attachment 1819678
Excellent. I so regret not jumping in on that preorder.
Happy Saturday to all you fine gentlemen! First time wearing these out. Ravello Shell chukka. View attachment 1819857
Wow, fantastic! Congrats. whose make up?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dang it, people coming over to eat dinner. Must get dressed but that also lets me wear shoes.

IMG_1993.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics