• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is January 2019. I’ve been in the Alden game since 2005. Around 2010 my collection started to multiply. Lots of new Aldens in, very few if any Aldens out. In more recent years, it’s been a relatively even balance of in and out. Now I’m considering posting 2 pair for sale and I am not on any pre-orders or actively seeking any new Aldens.

Should I be concerned?

Nope, no concern. Everything in its season.

DWH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the knowledgeable Alden shippers:

I have 6 pairs of Alden medium shoes trees in outstanding condition that I do not need. I am considering selling them for reasonably cheap as a group but do not know what it would cost to ship them. They are fairly heavy and would require a decent sized box.

Does anybody have a ballpark idea what would be the most efficient/cheap way to ship them? It may dictate wether or not I try to sell the trees.

Thanks in advance!
Local pick-up - surely there are people in Richmond area who will see the listing.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just walked from Santa Monica Pier to Venice Beach Boardwalk (in my mind). First real snowfall of the season-we’ve been lucky. I took the CXL Indy’s out for a 2 mile sidewalk hike this morning and they performed swimmingly. Waaaaay easier to walk distances in than my North Face Chillkat’s. A little brusha brusha and they spiffed right up. Flannel lined Eddie Bauer’s because, fashion backwards in 20 degree temps. The exact color of the sky is Pantone Michigan Grey™️ for you advertising people. That’s not to say they’re clouds. Clouds are well defined. This is more of a solid blanket of pharmaceutically correctable depression. Before trying Michigan: Ask your doctor if Michigan is right for you™️.

35C431E9-2BAD-4B09-B76E-5C333ABDCA80.jpeg
686B4C08-E6CE-4478-A2D4-8C40E6EFC945.jpeg
CA8E26BB-4C83-417D-806D-805A042B7842.jpeg

DWH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just walked from Santa Monica Pier to Venice Beach Boardwalk (in my mind). First real snowfall of the season-we’ve been lucky. I took the CXL Indy’s out for a 2 mile sidewalk hike this morning and they performed swimmingly. Waaaaay easier to walk distances in than my North Face Chillkat’s. A little brusha brusha and they spiffed right up. Flannel lined Eddie Bauer’s because, fashion backwards in 20 degree temps. The exact color of the sky is Pantone Michigan Grey™️ for you advertising people. That’s not to say they’re clouds. Clouds are well defined. This is more of a solid blanket of pharmaceutically correctable depression. Before trying Michigan: Ask your doctor if Michigan is right for you™️.

View attachment 1110167 View attachment 1110172 View attachment 1110176
At least your mind is in the right place.

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have 6 pairs of Alden medium shoes trees in outstanding condition that I do not need. I am considering selling them for reasonably cheap as a group but do not know what it would cost to ship them. They are fairly heavy and would require a decent sized box.

Does anybody have a ballpark idea what would be the most efficient/cheap way to ship them? It may dictate wether or not I try to sell the trees.

Thanks in advance!
hey Ironclad. Hope you had a good Holiday season. I may be in for a pair or 2 of trees. I am down to 3 pairs of wearable Aldens (sold some and out grew some ) but I may be interested in a few trees. Maybe get that beer we have been talking about and get some trees. And hit me up if selling any size 9 Barries. Maybe a pint for a pair of trees and a keg for a pair pf boots :cheers:

Enjoy the weekend

-Duck

Reaction score
If you want grey skies, Boston half of the year is your town.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

USPS parcel select is priced very reasonably. I've shipped boots from Atlanta to Hawaii for $20

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No snow in LA so I used my CXL choice for LWBs in blue.

D1F951B3-DC6E-4921-B48B-21D376D12E81.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
New Indys arrived from Adam. My first Indys. Very happy with them. You all have seen the Earth Chamois many times but I post one photo below anyway.

Comment on fit. Perfect heel ankle cuff and instep. But there is far less room in the fore part of this boot than I had expected based on the usual descriptions of Trubal one sees. And also, they look sooo wide in many photos. I sized down ½ per usual recommendation. Kept my normal B width. I’ve got the room I need up front but no more. Sized down ½ this is not a big volume fit.

So it’s been a great week for me with Alden. New long wings, new Indy’s. And now I know I can get a great fit with barrie and trubal. Gulp. Look out shoe budget.

Here’s the Indys. And yes, I stood on a towel to try them on. They will be out on wet pavement later today.

View attachment 1110123
This is exciting! I was a bit worried you'd be able to make these lasts work. I agree on TB... I've considered going TTS on my next pair.
Any van lasted loafers on the way yet?
Mid 70s after a week a rain. Should work on my feet tan.

View attachment 1110275
One of the best Alden loafers. Period.
No snow in LA so I used my CXL choice for LWBs in blue.

View attachment 1110278
such great colors!

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

I'd potentially be interested in 2-3 pairs, you can DM me your price if you want

Cool to find another Richmond guy, I've definitely never seen anyone wearing recognizable Alden in our town (then again seeing any nice shoes period is like seeing a unicorn here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads