• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whiskey PTB pic before leaving the house this morning.

Skelnik

Reaction score
Has anyone used Alden Leather Defender on their shells and does it make a noticeable difference? I typically will wear my "beater" shoes if I know the weather is going to be bad but sometimes I'll get caught in rain while wearing some of my nicer shell cordovan shoes. Afterward I usually see tiny water spots. I let them dry and after several days and lots of brushing and sometimes some renovator the spots finally go away. Would using the Leather Defender prevent the spots?

Rishi Kakar

Reaction score
Many thanks, that's very helpful. I am based in the Netherlands and I have not found any local retailer that carries the Alden-branded models.
Sir Max in Amsterdam carries Alden. Here is the address: Hartenstraat 2, 1016 CB Amsterdam, Netherlands

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, it depends on the shell. Some shells I have are very susceptible to water welts, others are seemingly impervious. The only way I have been able to figure out which ones will handle water without welting is to look at them -- the "shinier" and "glossier" pairs tend to handle water better than the flatter, more dry pairs.

Alpina

Reaction score
Quote:

Has anyone used Alden Leather Defender on their shells and does it make a noticeable difference? I typically will wear my "beater" shoes if I know the weather is going to be bad but sometimes I'll get caught in rain while wearing some of my nicer shell cordovan shoes. Afterward I usually see tiny water spots. I let them dry and after several days and lots of brushing and sometimes some renovator the spots finally go away. Would using the Leather Defender prevent the spots?
And probably mis-read shunted's post. I swear by GlenKaren's all natural products. He makes a water resistant polish that works incredibly well. As opposed to leather defender, which sits on top of the leather, the GlenKaren penetrates and protects down at the fiber level. It lasts, and I never have spots. Also, for the shell polish averse, it is not that dense with pigment, so when used sparingly, you don't get a buildup. Really great stuff. I much prefer his cleaner over VSC or Renovateir as well. Orange oil is used as the solvent, not turpentine.

Read his post here:
http://oldleathershoe.com/wordpress/?p=1476

JeffL

Reaction score
My growing Alden shoe collection. My next acquisition will be the Color 8 Wingtip Shell Cordovan. I'm addicted!!!

Last edited:

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bartlett Hunting green Indy from Unionmade
c86774f6818b736bdae87cf8f1f960fd.jpg

f4e1ad695d238b851d7908ef51e1e88f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads