• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shunted22

Reaction score
Fransboone Snuff PTBs. Afraid to break out the shell this week because of the threat of rain.

How well does leather defender work if you actually get caught in the heavy stuff?

Alpina

Reaction score
Fransboone Snuff PTBs. Afraid to break out the shell this week because of the threat of rain.

How well does leather defender work if you actually get caught in the heavy stuff?
I don't think leather defender is for suede. An aerosol like Nano is your best bet. In a good soaking, the soles will suffer more than the uppers.

RevisIsland

Reaction score
Agree with chipshot that sometimes the classics are what is called for....but thst doesnt mean I don't want a pair in Ravello :)

Alden Color 8 Full Straps today:

shunted22

Reaction score

I don't think leather defender is for suede.  An aerosol like Nano is your best bet. In a good soaking, the soles will suffer more than the uppers.

Yeah I guess my post was poorly worded.

I meant I've been avoiding shell due to the threat of rain. I'm not sure if I can trust LD to prevent spots if I get caught in more than something light.

ScarsdaleVibe

Reaction score
Although I understand with your point with regards to C&J, they do their Whiskey Shell Cordovan very differently than Alden and frankly do them in much smaller quantities. C&J goes by the slow and steady concept, limiting the Whiskey GMTO runs to 12 pairs and only 2, maybe 3 per year. They will also do an additional 2-3 runs of 12ish for their various stores and vendors. So they are frankly only asking about 60 pairs of Whiskey shoes per year. Alden tends to just confirm a slew of orders once they get material. From all that I saw this year from Alden in Whiskey, AoC Whiskey NST Saddles, DC LWBs, SF LWBs, TSM LHSes, TSM LWBs, Leffot NST Boots, Madison Monks + NST Boots (6 each), Madison U-Tips, to name the ones coming off the top of my head, Alden actually does more Whiskey than C&J does, seeing how that is 8x12 = 96 pairs and I don't know if they have any additional Whiskeys or sold pairs to other vendors or non-US vendors. Frankly, this makes sense, as Alden is the biggest user of Horween Shell Cordovan by far. Just had to chime in here with more facts.

I understand your perspective, but I must say I'm skeptical of your facts on C&J's output. C&J make Whiskey GMTO available because they have an inventory of skins as a result of Whiskey offerings in their mainline. I walked into the C&J on both Threadneedle and Jermyn while in London and both had Whiskey LHS. Their AW line has yet another pair of (hideous) shoes in Whiskey. It seems making these available (in addition to the MTO offering) require production of more than 60 pairs per year.

...I also wonder how many of the 96 pairs of Aldens you quote ended up on the same set of feet.

Last edited:

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand your perspective, but I must say I'm skeptical of your facts on C&J's output. C&J make Whiskey GMTO available because they have an inventory of skins as a result of Whiskey offerings in their mainline. I walked into the C&J on both Threadneedle and Jermyn while in London and both had Whiskey LHS. Their AW line has yet another pair of (hideous) shoes in Whiskey. It seems making these available (in addition to the MTO offering) require production of more than 60 pairs per year.

...I also wonder how many of the 96 pairs of Aldens you quote ended up on the same set of feet.
Seems like quite a bit of snark there in your last statement.
While I agree it is harder to get your hands on the rare shell, it is not that the vendors are only catering to the same people.
I am not sure that happens as often as one may think.
There are a few select retailers that only cater to their "VIP" clients.
It is the exception rather than the rule.
Anyone can get a rare shell (maybe not the ultra rare like Color 2) from Alden, if they start researching and calling retailers and getting on the waiting lists.

With regards to the C&J B&M stores, you may be surprised to find that while they may have a few examples on their showroom floors, they may not have a full stock of sizes with multiples of each size. They may have done a run with only a dozen pairs.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not really perceive much snark in the above comments.

It is worth noting that Alden and C&J get comparable color/quality whiskey shells from Horween. The major differences between the look on shoes is how the companies treat and finish the shells. Many in this thread like or appreciate the Alden shiny acrylic finish. C&J shoes do not feature the same type of glossy top layer finish as Alden.

Personally, I think the primary difference in the availability of whiskey shell between the two makers reflects their relative popularity and approach to making shoes. For better or worse, there is something of a cult of rare shell in Alden as of late, so rare shell colors get pre-ordered and purchased quickly. As I and others have mentioned previously, this was not at all the case in the past, such as six years ago or more. Demand was comparatively limited for "rare" colors of shell. One could walk into an Alden store and select between Whiskey, cigar, and color 8 et al. Ravello was something of a rarity then, btw. In fact Alden SF did not even bother to distinguish between Whiskey and Ravello for a period; they were both simply labeled whiskey. Furthermore, color 4 styles just sat for months/years unsold at the Shoe Mart; color 4 was a specialty item with rather limited appeal-something different for those who were interested.

I mention all this to say, I do not think Alden's production of rare shell shoes, specifically whiskey, has changed much. It is demand (and maybe even availability of the shells from Horween) that has changed considerably. Also, Horween makes a a lot of shell in various colors, but I suspect larger volumes go to non-Alden (and non-Allen Edminds) customers than in the past.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As I and others have mentioned previously, this was not at all the case in the past, such as six years ago or more. Demand was comparatively limited for "rare" colors of shell. One could walk into an Alden store and select between Whiskey, cigar, and color 8 et al. Ravello was something of a rarity then, btw. In fact Alden SF did not even bother to distinguish between Whiskey and Ravello for a period; they were both simply labeled whiskey. Furthermore, color 4 styles just sat for months/years unsold at the Shoe Mart; color 4 was a specialty item with rather limited appeal-something different for those who were interested.
t.

I think you need to go back longer than that. I started shopping for shell in 2009 (I still have most of the Shoemart emails) and don't ever remember seeing #4 in any of them. You could see Ravello and Whiskey pop up more however. It's possible firsts sat unsold but I think if that was the case you would have *sometimes* seen them on seconds lists

(just looking at my first email I see listings for "dark brown" shell cordovan and "tan" shell cordovan for $369!)

Last edited:

ScarsdaleVibe

Reaction score
No snark. Retailers will treat their best customers well, as they may and as they should in the best interests of their business.

My comment meant to reflect that the perceived limited availability of Alden rare shell may be further exacerbated if new rare models are being first offered to these customers. It would further reduce whatever "open market" availability there may be.

Last edited:

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They were there online and in-store. I'm not sure they were ever referenced in emails. You always had to dig a little to find the color 4 captoe and wingtip online, as well as rare shell Indy.

jl70115

Reaction score
I need some advice on removing what looks like a white paint scuff on my Alden Color 8 cap toe bal. I've tried a damp cloth, brushing the hell out of it and a light scraping with my fingernail, all to not avail. It seems I need some kind of cleaner?

Thanks

Skelnik

Reaction score
I need some advice on removing what looks like a white paint scuff on my Alden Color 8 cap toe bal. I've tried a damp cloth, brushing the hell out of it and a light scraping with my fingernail, all to not avail. It seems I need some kind of cleaner?

Thanks

Try Saphir Reno'Mat. If that won't do it, I'm not sure what else you can do.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks

Try Saphir Reno'Mat. If that won't do it, I'm not sure what else you can do.
I would try warm soapy water on a rag which takes most latex paint off. (stick to gentle detergents)
Then I would try Saphir Renovateur.
Renomat (which is more of a stripper) will remove some of the "Alden dye" that they add to make the Color 8 uniform.
You can use that, but you may have a light spot on the shell.
Try the other two first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads