• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaRKle

Reaction score
Howdy Folks! I don't own a pair of Alden but I own about 40 pair of Allen Edmonds. How does the quality compare? Where do you recommend buying Alden shoes online?

What the other folks said is(was) generally true, but the stuff that another member and I have received this year has been pretty disappointing compared to AE.

When Alden is good, they're good, but when it's not, you're SOL. They consider many defects first quality where AE would happily give you your money back. Got a rotated pattern only on one shoe? Have slanted cap toes? Have large dry/rough patches of shell? All first quality!

I also generally don't feel like Alden's non-shell shoes are worth the markup over AE.

You really need to build a relationship with a place that's willing to go to bat for you with Alden. If you don't, you won't get any help.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do think the non she'll Aldens are a big step up from AE. With Alden you get a wire sole edge, steel shank, wheeled welt, Stead suede, nicer last's, a 270 welt with a closed heel for oxfords.

I do love my AEs, though. I have 9 of those, and 3 Aldens (suede, she'll, CXL). The difference in quality is definitely obvious. Doesn't mean AE is no good!

AEs strength is that anyone can buy any model, and they aren't afraid to do a full run of sizes and widths. Where's it's taken me ages to get an alden stock item made in extra wide.

Last edited:

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there are a lot of little ways Alden is an upgrade over AE (which are fine shoes - I have a lot of AE in my closet), though some moreso than others. Whether it is worth the premium is a harder question, and mainly a subjective one. One of the biggest differences is the availability of unique makeups that a number of retailers have in collaboration with Alden.

jereth

Reaction score

Haven't posted in a while. Newly acquired Alden x Need Supply Stafford Boots. Loving the crepe sole so far, very soft and comfortable. Recently sent my 3 year old indy boots to B. Nelson for new soles and toe stitching repair. Will post pics when I receive them.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tanker Saturday
fb68076f9f499dc05498ab65c8f37324.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Howdy Folks! I don't own a pair of Alden but I own about 40 pair of Allen Edmonds. How does the quality compare? Where do you recommend buying Alden shoes online?

Alden is definitely a step up in quality from AE. If you're a standard width, JCrew has an excellent return policy. Otherwise, I recommend getting fitted in person because each last fits differently.

The shoe mart is a great retailer. So is Alden of Carmel. There are many others.

Good luck!

I would say the step up in quality, style, and construction from Florsheim to AE, is similar to that from AE to Alden. I'd rather have one pair of Alden than three pair of AE.

What the other folks said is(was) generally true, but the stuff that another member and I have received this year has been pretty disappointing compared to AE.

When Alden is good, they're good, but when it's not, you're SOL. They consider many defects first quality where AE would happily give you your money back. Got a rotated pattern only on one shoe? Have slanted cap toes? Have large dry/rough patches of shell? All first quality!

I also generally don't feel like Alden's non-shell shoes are worth the markup over AE.

You really need to build a relationship with a place that's willing to go to bat for you with Alden. If you don't, you won't get any help.

I do think the non she'll Aldens are a big step up from AE. With Alden you get a wire sole edge, steel shank, wheeled welt, Stead suede, nicer last's, a 270 welt with a closed heel for oxfords.

I do love my AEs, though. I have 9 of those, and 3 Aldens (suede, she'll, CXL). The difference in quality is definitely obvious. Doesn't mean AE is no good!

AEs strength is that anyone can buy any model, and they aren't afraid to do a full run of sizes and widths. Where's it's taken me ages to get an alden stock item made in extra wide.

I think there are a lot of little ways Alden is an upgrade over AE (which are fine shoes - I have a lot of AE in my closet), though some moreso than others. Whether it is worth the premium is a harder question, and mainly a subjective one. One of the biggest differences is the availability of unique makeups that a number of retailers have in collaboration with Alden.

Some good discussion here and I agree with all of the commentary along this discussion line. Few key things, (1) Alden has a number of construction benefits, when compared directly to AE, Peppercorn summarized it pretty well; (2) Alden definitely makes mistakes when producing shoes and their QC bar is variable; (3) Alden Calfskin and Suede offerings are $100 more than AE, which could readily make one value the value proposition of this price differential - personally, I find the Suede worth the extra $100, but have not dabbled in their Calf offerings really; (4) AE shell prices have increased significantly over the past few years and the value proposition here has diminished as they are now on-par price wise with Alden - Alden has a crazy significant larger line of Shell Cordovan offerings between their catalog models (ones on aldenshoe.com) and the special-makeups (ones offered by each individual store); (5) Alden's Shell Cordovan models are a primary portion of their business, it is more of a "hobby" for AE; finally (6) you are asking the Alden thread, what else would you expect? :)

I put many of these out as one who started their shoe "career" with AE and migrated to Alden once I discovered the brand, I still have several pairs of AEs, but would trade them in for equivalent Aldens if they were available (with the only exception being my Walnut Shell Cordovan Strand - I could have that and a Ravello variant). Hope that this helps!

-Mike

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
No snark. Retailers will treat their best customers well, as they may and as they should in the best interests of their business.

My comment meant to reflect that the perceived limited availability of Alden rare shell may be further exacerbated if new rare models are being first offered to these customers. It would further reduce whatever "open market" availability there may be.

No worries, my commentary did not intend to include the availability of the makeups. I agree that the Alden business model makes it more conducive to taking care of their top customers, thus making it harder for new customers to get into the "inner circle", and thus exacerbating the problem. As a family owned business, Alden reserves the right to do business as it best pleases them. I also do not completely know the availability for both vendors, as I do not know all of the stores that they produce for, however, my point is that C&J puts effort into distributing the production over a longer period of time to have a more consistent production rate, whereas Alden does them as impulse functions, essentially confirming them all once the material comes in (I will note that Alden used to confirm them once they got a completion note from Horween, but will no longer due this as this has caused problems in the past with numbers not being 100% accurate). There are merits to both methods.

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Fransboone Snuff PTBs. Afraid to break out the shell this week because of the threat of rain.

How well does leather defender work if you actually get caught in the heavy stuff?

Those PTBs are absolutely beautiful, love the brass eyelets on them! Leather Defender is supposed to be pretty good, but I do not know how it would do in extreme rain.

Agree with chipshot that sometimes the classics are what is called for....but thst doesnt mean I don't want a pair in Ravello
smile.gif

Alden Color 8 Full Straps today:

Those Full-Strap Loafers are looking beautiful, a great and lovely model. It is also classic.

Non-Snarky New NST Boots Trubalance #8 Antique Welt low lighting.. early ball game

Looking good Chippy!

Whiskey PTB pic before leaving the house this morning.

Those Whiskey PTBs are looking great and a terrific pairing.

Snuff suede plaza boots.

Your Alden Snuff Suede PT Boots are looking great, they look even better on the Plaza Last!!! I am thinking that the Plaza is like butter, everything is better with it!

Whiskey wingtip boot x AoM today. Happy Friday.

Looking good J! Those boots are looking terrific!

My growing Alden shoe collection. My next acquisition will be the Color 8 Wingtip Shell Cordovan. I'm addicted!!!

Congratulations Jeff on your new collection, you will have many beauties to follow, I am sure!

Looking forward to putting some wear on these now that Fall is here......

Those Natty CXL LWBs are looking great!

Bartlett Hunting green Indy from Unionmade
c86774f6818b736bdae87cf8f1f960fd.jpg

f4e1ad695d238b851d7908ef51e1e88f.jpg

Those Green Indy Boots are pretty rad Don and I am with the group, that Sportcoat is stellar!

New Gunboats for the upcoming Season.

I know, the socks aren't the best color but wanted a thick heavy cotton rib for today's first wear.

Dang, it must have cooled off quickly Chippy if you are wearing Chords already! Those Color #8 LWBs are looking very good!

Ocho on Plaza.

Again, those are looking magnificent! Those have such a beautiful color on them!

#8 Tanker with flea market finds on an old cobbler's bench:

Great looking Color #8 Tankers and those are looking great on your new, old bench!

Haven't posted in a while. Newly acquired Alden x Need Supply Stafford Boots. Loving the crepe sole so far, very soft and comfortable. Recently sent my 3 year old indy boots to B. Nelson for new soles and toe stitching repair. Will post pics when I receive them.

Good to see you @jereth , those Stafford Boots are looking fantastic!

Tanker Saturday
fb68076f9f499dc05498ab65c8f37324.jpg

Don, those Chocolate Suede Tankers are looking stellar Don! Love them with the Selvedge Denim.

-Mike

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love that Indy Cordovan. The issue I see here is where in the world to buy it? I like the fact that AE is easy to get; however, I am also interested in diversity.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I love that Indy Cordovan.  The issue I see here is where in the world to buy it?  I like the fact that AE is easy to get; however, I am also interested in diversity. 

Indy boots in black and color 8 on leather sole are stock items, I believe, so they shouldn't be too hard to find. Some retailers like Frans Boone, Alden Madison, Alden of Carnel have variants with commando soles or different last's like Plaza. You could try the Alden shop in San Francisco or The Shoe Mart for the stock version.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Indy boots in black and color 8 on leather sole are stock items, I believe, so they shouldn't be too hard to find. Some retailers like Frans Boone, Alden Madison, Alden of Carnel have variants with commando soles or different last's like Plaza. You could try the Alden shop in San Francisco or The Shoe Mart for the stock version.

They aren't "stock models" but are common. A stock model is a specific makeup sold by all vendors and Alden factory has them ready to ship out on demand to customers. Like the base 975 model, which is exactly the same everywhere. The shell Indy boots come in a range of different styles with lots of slight variations (different soles or welts or eyelets) and are all custom orders of the individual stores. At least for now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads