• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

WaIIace

Reaction score
You'll most likely have better luck looking for vintage jackets. I've mostly seen repro brands do solids color wool sport jackets, the most common being a navy melton. Sugar cane has done plaid versions in the past but I haven't seen any recently. Groovin high did a two-tone last year for their fall season too.
Thanks, will check them out. And yep, saw the solid colors but very rarely the plaid ones

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an aside, I think Aero Leather will make a wool sport jacket like their leather counterparts. Not sure wether they'd offer a plaid option in terms of fabric, but something from them might be more accessible than one from a repro brand since they don't come up often.

WaIIace

Reaction score
As an aside, I think Aero Leather will make a wool sport jacket like their leather counterparts. Not sure wether they'd offer a plaid option in terms of fabric, but something from them might be more accessible than one from a repro brand since they don't come up often.
Will check, thanks again
My bad, Randy's didn't show the back and I assumed it was one. Jeez, 2 screw ups in 24 hours, better keep my head down for a bit.
No problem, thanks for trying to help

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will check, thanks again

No problem, thanks for trying to help
Okay, once more before I get back behind my fern - check out Finds and Deals, Leather Jacket Edition in the Fedora Lounge. Vintage wool jackets (a lot of them with half belts!) are often posted there.

Wildeep

Reaction score
has anyone used a proxy service for Real McCoys Japan to the Uk recently? I am struggling to find what I want through any of the proxy sites I've found on here. Keen to pick up the Joe McCoy's 30s Deerskin leather jacket. Many thanks, Josh

Nykwil

Reaction score
has anyone used a proxy service for Real McCoys Japan to the Uk recently? I am struggling to find what I want through any of the proxy sites I've found on here. Keen to pick up the Joe McCoy's 30s Deerskin leather jacket. Many thanks, Josh
I've used fromjapan, and they buy straight from the real mccoys in japan, box it up for you and ship it to you.

You pay the initial cost of the item once you submit a link to the item on real mccoy's website. They confirm they can purchase it, give you the price quote, then you pay for the item, wait for them to receive it, then they quote you shipping costs. You pay fromjapan shipping and handling costs, they have a fee of 300yen per item they get for you. Then for the states, customs fees were handled through DHL for the price tag of the item, you paid DHL or they hold shipment. It was like $300+ when I went through DHL for my Real McCoy's Nelson jacket.

Look out for coupons on the site, you can save money on the item and shipping itself.

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard that you can declare whatever value you want with fromjapan. Could help with custom/VAT

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard that you can declare whatever value you want with fromjapan. Could help with custom/VAT
I haven’t noticed a spot where I could enter that info, that would be cool. However, on a couple of items I’ve noticed that the declared value WAS lower.

Cobra

Reaction score
I've used fromjapan, and they buy straight from the real mccoys in japan, box it up for you and ship it to you.

You pay the initial cost of the item once you submit a link to the item on real mccoy's website. They confirm they can purchase it, give you the price quote, then you pay for the item, wait for them to receive it, then they quote you shipping costs. You pay fromjapan shipping and handling costs, they have a fee of 300yen per item they get for you. Then for the states, customs fees were handled through DHL for the price tag of the item, you paid DHL or they hold shipment. It was like $300+ when I went through DHL for my Real McCoy's Nelson jacket.

Look out for coupons on the site, you can save money on the item and shipping itself.
This is good to know because for whatever reason Buyee won't order from RM directly, but you can buy from their other stores (I just bought two pairs of chinos from the Real Mccoy's Ibaraki). I might send them a message as to why they can't process orders from the main site.

As for customs, I know buyee does allow you to edit the value of items, but I've only done it when the store that shipped the item to them only put the value for one item on the invoice when there were multiple items. The declared value of the other item is thus zero and has to be amended. I have not tried this where this wasn't an issue so I'll have to try this some time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads