• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

Cobra

Reaction score
The materials are really something else. Very well-made and already feels comfortable.
How would you compare the comfort level to regular Bostons? I like mine, but even after wearing them for sometime now I wouldn't exactly describe them as "comfortable". If the Real Mccoy's ones are that much more comfortable I can justify investing in them.

Also the new AL-1 is 180,000 yen lmao. I get that it's a more intricately made jacket, but thats like double the cost of their N-1.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi. Noob here. Just started learning about Japanese Repro and I'm completely fascinated and obsessed. I'm wondering if there is a resource (thread, post, blog post, article, etc.) that compares the various brands. I am looking to buy a few denim items.

Before I do, I want to understand the differences in style, fabric and approach between:
  • Momotaro
  • 3sixteen
  • Strike Gold
  • Iron Heart
  • Sugar Cane
  • etc.
I would appreciate any pointers. 🙏

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi. Noob here. Just started learning about Japanese Repro and I'm completely fascinated and obsessed. I'm wondering if there is a resource (thread, post, blog post, article, etc.) that compares the various brands. I am looking to buy a few denim items.

Before I do, I want to understand the differences in style, fabric and approach between:
  • Momotaro
  • 3sixteen
  • Strike Gold
  • Iron Heart
  • Sugar Cane
  • etc.
Superfuture superdenim

espen

Reaction score
Hey fellers. Heading to Tokyo (+Osaka, Kobe) in a couple of days. Have a few places I intend on hitting up but wanted some hive mind thoughts:

- it’s never discussed, but what about tailoring? What’s the odds of finding some neat sport coats in long, western sizes?

- any preferred vintage watch places? Nanako Broadway is on the list, and I’ve saved the Worn and Wound articles too.

- overall sizing and selection for us tall guys? I’m just trying to temper my expectations.

- what about more under the radar denim brands? Was thinking of Big John for one.

Thanks!

Jerkstore

Reaction score
How would you compare the comfort level to regular Bostons? I like mine, but even after wearing them for sometime now I wouldn't exactly describe them as "comfortable". If the Real Mccoy's ones are that much more comfortable I can justify investing in them.

Also the new AL-1 is 180,000 yen lmao. I get that it's a more intricately made jacket, but thats like double the cost of their N-1.
I thought the price had to be a mistake.

I never had any comfort after months with my birk Arizona sandals. These were lovely after a day. I’d def buy them. But the biggest size they go is a brannock TTS 10. If you’re a 10.5 this won’t fit.

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

• Momotaro
  • 3sixteen
  • Strike Gold
  • Iron Heart
  • Sugar Cane
  • etc.

This two part interview from Dieworkwear with Kiya from Self Edge is quite old at this point but maybe interesting if you're just getting into Japanese raw denim:

https://putthison.com/should-i-really-wait-six-months-to-wash-my-jeans/
https://putthison.com/should-you-take-a-bath-in-your-jeans-and-other/

This thread on Sufu has a lot of fading images:https://supertalk.superfuture.com/t...on-of-jeans-pictures-scones-and-tea/page/892/

I would try to visit a store that carries these brands if possible (admittedly I'm lucky in that I'm near enough to make a day trip to London to Clutch Cafe/Rivet & Hide/ Son of a Stag, etc.) or order a few pairs (maybe sticking to one wash so you can return) online. The characteristics of fabric/fit are much easier to appreciate in person.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This two part interview from Dieworkwear with Kiya from Self Edge is quite old at this point but maybe interesting if you're just getting into Japanese raw denim:

https://putthison.com/should-i-really-wait-six-months-to-wash-my-jeans/
https://putthison.com/should-you-take-a-bath-in-your-jeans-and-other/

This thread on Sufu has a lot of fading images:https://supertalk.superfuture.com/t...on-of-jeans-pictures-scones-and-tea/page/892/

I would try to visit a store that carries these brands if possible (admittedly I'm lucky in that I'm near enough to make a day trip to London to Clutch Cafe/Rivet & Hide/ Son of a Stag, etc.) or order a few pairs (maybe sticking to one wash so you can return) online. The characteristics of fabric/fit are much easier to appreciate in person.
Thank you. This is really helpful.

I am visiting Self Edge in San Francisco today. However, I wanted to get some basics down before I go.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey fellers. Heading to Tokyo (+Osaka, Kobe) in a couple of days. Have a few places I intend on hitting up but wanted some hive mind thoughts:

- it’s never discussed, but what about tailoring? What’s the odds of finding some neat sport coats in long, western sizes?
Still here currently. I would probably check out large department stores like Isetans and Takashimaya. They’ll have floors dedicated to tailoring so there’s at least some possibility if looking for OTR stuff

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

• Momotaro
  • 3sixteen
  • Strike Gold
  • Iron Heart
  • Sugar Cane
  • etc.
Maybe it's easier to tell use your preferences so you get more specific answers, rather than to try to explore the entire raw denim universe all at once, which may be a daunting task. =

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's easier to tell use your preferences so you get more specific answers, rather than to try to explore the entire raw denim universe all at once, which may be a daunting task. =

Agreed. The challenge is that I'm trying to figure out my preferences.

Here are some criteria that I'm exploring, but I'm flexible since I'm learning:
  • On the heavier side (maybe >14oz)
  • Raw indigo (not black for now)
  • Slim straight or straight (I'm 6'/150lbs - 183cm/68kg)
  • Should look good in both casual style and with a sport coat
  • Medium rise
  • Prefer saniforized, but not a hard and fast rule. I definitely want washed, so shrinkage is not an issue. I don't want to spend $200+ and find that I can't wear them after the first wash.
Based on my research here's what I'm looking at:
  • IRON HEART 777-XHS JEANS - SLIM TAPERED 25OZ
  • STUDIO D'ARTISAN MEMPHIS X ZIMBABWE COTTON FIBER JEANS - SLIM TAPERED D1712S
  • FLAT HEAD SE05BSP JEAN
  • STRIKE GOLD 6109 16.5OZ SUPER SLUB JEAN - SLIM TAPERED
Perspectives and advice much appreciated.

bergbooty

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Freewheelers Military Utility Trousers? Thinking about picking up a pair or both. Big fan of fatigues but I'm not sure if they are worth it or not.

Links to the item I'm talking about:

elongatedskull

Reaction score
Agreed. The challenge is that I'm trying to figure out my preferences.

Here are some criteria that I'm exploring, but I'm flexible since I'm learning:
  • On the heavier side (maybe >14oz)
  • Raw indigo (not black for now)
  • Slim straight or straight (I'm 6'/150lbs - 183cm/68kg)
  • Should look good in both casual style and with a sport coat
  • Medium rise
  • Prefer saniforized, but not a hard and fast rule. I definitely want washed, so shrinkage is not an issue. I don't want to spend $200+ and find that I can't wear them after the first wash.
Based on my research here's what I'm looking at:
  • IRON HEART 777-XHS JEANS - SLIM TAPERED 25OZ
  • STUDIO D'ARTISAN MEMPHIS X ZIMBABWE COTTON FIBER JEANS - SLIM TAPERED D1712S
  • FLAT HEAD SE05BSP JEAN
  • STRIKE GOLD 6109 16.5OZ SUPER SLUB JEAN - SLIM TAPERED
Perspectives and advice much appreciated.
If anything i wouldn’t recommend the heavy Iron Heart for anything other than casual wear, the heavy contrast stitching is a bit gaudy

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Freewheelers Military Utility Trousers? Thinking about picking up a pair or both. Big fan of fatigues but I'm not sure if they are worth it or not.

Links to the item I'm talking about:

So many brands make fatigue/baker pants for far less. Orslow stands out for me as being great value. I'm sure these are made well, but not really distinguished from other fatigue pants imo

bergbooty

Reaction score
So many brands make fatigue/baker pants for far less. Orslow stands out for me as being great value. I'm sure these are made well, but not really distinguished from other fatigue pants imo
Thanks for the input. I have a few pairs of orslow and they are very good. Wanted to try something else and saw these from FW. They are cheaper in the Japanese market obviously. Just interested in that 'Deck cloth' they produce.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads