• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's been awhile since I perused or posted on this forum, but I wanted to help spread the word about Rory Duffy--the Henry Poole-trained winner of the 2009 Golden Shears Award on Savile Row who's hung his shingle in Brooklyn. He's making me my first bespoke commission--a 3B single-breasted sportcoat with box-pleated open patch pockets in a lightweight RAF blue flannel--and I'm filming the whole process in detail for a series of web videos I'll be posting soon. We just had the baste fit last week and it's absolutely gorgeous. Having trained at Poole, Rory cuts a classic Poole coat--close, fitted, and soft, with a generous and slightly roped sleeve head. The extent of drape is contingent not only on the customer's taste, but on his body and posture. Trousers are trim, side-tabbed, and fishtail brace-cut.

Aside from Len Logsdail, Rory is the only Row-trained master tailor working in NYC, and I'd like to help raise his profile enough to keep him here. He's passionate about his work, with a missionary zeal about raising awareness of handcraft tailoring, and young enough (30) to be that lifelong tailor we all dream of having. He's a great guy to boot, and I would recommend that any New Yorker considering going bespoke get in touch with him.

His website is: http://handcrafttailor.com/

Very cool. IIRC, he used to do work with David Reeves for a while. You should update us when the coat is done, would love to see pictures.

Ennius

Reaction score
Rory looks like the read deal.

Can you give us a ballpark sense of his pricing on bespoke suits?

Given his site says it takes at least 60 hour per suit, I assume it aint cheap.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rory looks like the read deal.

Can you give us a ballpark sense of his pricing on bespoke suits?

Given his site says it takes at least 60 hour per suit, I assume it aint cheap.

+1

fjordan

Reaction score
I'd like to mention that I've had very good experiences with Cardelino recently. Juan at Cardelino on Broadway between 22nd and 23rd has done an excellent job for me altering several suits and jackets, including taking in and shortening suitcoats and slimming pants legs.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took some stuff to Cardelino last week. Will report back on results. Admittedly, this was for simple stuff--shortening trousers, lengthening sleeves. So far, my experience has been positive--I will say he tends towards a quite full break, but once I showed him how I wanted the break, he was fine with it. Prices pretty good, assuming the quality of work is there.

Debating taking in a SC to have him remove a collar roll--anyone had him do work like this before?

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Took some stuff to Cardelino last week. Will report back on results. Admittedly, this was for simple stuff--shortening trousers, lengthening sleeves. So far, my experience has been positive--I will say he tends towards a quite full break, but once I showed him how I wanted the break, he was fine with it. Prices pretty good, assuming the quality of work is there.

Debating taking in a SC to have him remove a collar roll--anyone had him do work like this before?

Pedro can do pretty much anything in terms of alterations.

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tailors here are starting to get used to no break, e.g., Leung, PoP.

I assume you mean a roll on the back underneath the collar? Any competent tailor should be able to handle that.

Ennius

Reaction score
Gents,

My sizing for shirts/sweaters consistently requires tailoring as I am L across the chest but M in the waist and sleeves. I have a tailor I like for shirts/trousers/coats (PoP).

I need someone that can work on shortening sweater sleeves - assuming that can be done. I dont like rolling up the sleeves as it looks sloppy and I probably need at least 1 inch taken out. It doesnt sound like he works on sweaters.

Has anyone had this done in NYC? Experience/Recommendations?

I hope I am not condemned to buying MTM/bespoke sweaters.....

mintyfresh

Reaction score

Thanks and sorry I didn't reply - possibly could have saved you the trip to ask. I've had 5 or 6 pairs of pants done by him and they are all excellent. Perhaps not Solito, but then again, 1 Solito = 3.5 LNC. BTW, that price isn't far off the Asian price :)

Do you normally bring your own cloth? If so, where does one go about purchasing cloth!?

Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads