• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stop wearing dress shoes (oxfords, brogues, monks) without socks!!!!

ovidiu

Reaction score
Agree to wearing socks all the time.
I think at least part of the "sockless" men we see out there are actually wearing low-cut ones. So they have them, they are just hidden inside the shoe.

pkincy

Reaction score
Wearing shoes without socks and not using shoe trees seems a likely combo to me. Not caring about anything seems to be a popular attitude to some.

Perry

Gutman

Reaction score
Hmmm - no socks is bad for your shoes. But I like using short ankle socks with dress shoes as part of a summer outfit. But not otherwise.

Murray

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I'm doing everyone a big favor, no need to thank me. There is a disturbing trend in WAYWN and in the Sartorialist of men with dress shoes and no socks. Very few shoes look good without socks. Loafers, boat shoes, bucks. Dress shoes are not made to be worn without socks and you do not look good. Because some Japanese dude is copying some idiot in Italy who thinks he is styling wearing a three piece suit, brogues and no socks, does not mean that you have to do it. Sweat in said leather lined shoes is also not a good thing. Please stop wearing sportcoats, suits, the whole nine yards and then go sockless. I repeat, you do not look good. If it's leather and a leather sole, has a heel and you have to lace it, wear some phucking socks.

Here, here....

17 Seconds

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I'm doing everyone a big favor, no need to thank me. There is a disturbing trend in WAYWN and in the Sartorialist of men with dress shoes and no socks. Very few shoes look good without socks. Loafers, boat shoes, bucks. Dress shoes are not made to be worn without socks and you do not look good. Because some Japanese dude is copying some idiot in Italy who thinks he is styling wearing a three piece suit, brogues and no socks, does not mean that you have to do it. Sweat in said leather lined shoes is also not a good thing. Please stop wearing sportcoats, suits, the whole nine yards and then go sockless. I repeat, you do not look good. If it's leather and a leather sole, has a heel and you have to lace it, wear some phucking socks.

Sid Mashburn, one of the most stylish men on this planet, would disagree. As such, I respectfully voice my opposition.

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
I love going sockless or sometimes wearing the "no show" socks and do so for much of the summer, but I would never do it with dress shoes that had laces. It looks good, in my opinion, with loafers, chucks, and of course boat shoes, but that's about it.

PeterEliot

Reaction score
Leather shoes without socks... Man, that'd be just like settling into a leather couch naked. After five minutes every inch of you that's touching the couch will be damp and glued to the leather--creating that ripping sound when you try to disengage the your hide from the hide you're sitting on.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No show socks!?!

Ether man up and wear em sockless, or wear socks.

If you chose to wear no-show socks, match them up nicely with a pre-folded pocket square and a clip on tie.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
No show socks!?!

If you chose to wear no-show socks, match them up nicely with a pre-folded pocket square and a clip on tie.

That's just dumb.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No show socks!?!

I go sockless on occasion. But the issue becomes blisters.

In the battle to fight blisters, I would don no show socks. But I own none.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No show socks!?!

I've turned against no show socks for myself. I wear them with sneakers, but not with leather soled shoes. I've tried lots of different brands but none seems to be truly no-show or if they are, they don't stay put on my feet. I now simply sprinkle a little powder in shoes, and then I'm set for the rest of the day.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I've turned against no show socks for myself. I wear them with sneakers, but not with leather soled shoes. I've tried lots of different brands but none seems to be truly no-show or if they are, they don't stay put on my feet. I now simply sprinkle a little powder in shoes, and then I'm set for the rest of the day.

Have you tried Gold Toe's "no show" slipper socks? They are no slip and no show
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads