• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wardrobe overhaul- where to start? (AU)

Jimba

Reaction score
So I want to overhaul my wardrobe and step up a bit better quality and get stuff that fits. I am looking for classic stuff to start with and will do a post on the streetwear and denim forum for my more casual wear advice as I need to upgrade that too.

Firstly my specs:

Height: 6'4
Weight: 60KG
Body type: Ectomorph

I am mainly after business Shirts and attire and would like advice on that as well as the other menswear staples on what to look for and brands to look out for.

Another problem I have is shoes - where do I find leather shoes with good support? I was thinking about a pair of RM William Chelsea boots but also want a good pair of Oxford shoes of similar quality/price or better to RMs but without spending $1kAUD+ on shoes.
As for business and more classic/formal atire what would people recommend starting with? I am looking for a few pieces so I can mix and match. My thoughts are to get a few pieces over many.

I work in a big office environment. The dress code is business casual so a shirt and pants with dress shoes. I currently have some cheap stuff from Myer and colorado oxford shoes.

Thank you for your help and thank you for having me on this forum.

Last edited:

Father Style

Reaction score
Hello. I’ll try my best to get you going in a good direction.
Since you’re starting from scratch, the thing to remember is to go slow. You aren’t going to solve all your wardrobe problems overnight. Just focus on slowly adding things that work with the other things you already have. One of the nice things about being a dude is that we can wear the same things over and over and no one will notice!
Now, since you are quite tall and trim you might have to get more things made to measure. My advice is mostly RTW stuff.
To begin, since you work in a business casual environment, grab yourself some white and blue Oxford shirts and some khaki pants from a company like Lands’ End which always has crazy sales. Likewise for your more business formal shirt… go to a place like Charles Tyrwhitt where you can get a handful for cheap. Figure out what you like and what fits you. Maybe grab a v-neck sweater while you’re at it.
For your office days, get a classic navy blazer (with or without metal buttons) and a tweed jacket for the colder days. Don’t penny-pinch on these as they will last you for ages, but you don’t have to go nuts. A place like Brooks Brothers, especially on sale, is a fine bet. For anything more formal, get a solid navy suit. If you don’t wear suits often you can get away with having just this one suit for the rest of your life, practically. For ties, again a place like CT has them for peanuts on sale. Get a navy grenadine and a plain burgundy.
I know you’re concerned about the cost of shoes but that’s one area you don’t want to scrimp. Shoes and mattresses should be of the highest quality you can afford since if you’re not in one, you’re in the other. You don’t want to wreck your knees because you wanted to save a couple bucks on shoes.
Again, go slow. Grab a couple items here and there and you’ll slowly build up your wardrobe and it will be interchangeable with a small quantity. Don’t spend crazy money on your shirts, pants, or ties. Allocate those funds for your sport coats, suits, and shoes.
Hope this helps! Best of luck!

FatherStyle.com

Jimba

Reaction score
Hello. I’ll try my best to get you going in a good direction.
Since you’re starting from scratch, the thing to remember is to go slow. You aren’t going to solve all your wardrobe problems overnight. Just focus on slowly adding things that work with the other things you already have. One of the nice things about being a dude is that we can wear the same things over and over and no one will notice!
Now, since you are quite tall and trim you might have to get more things made to measure. My advice is mostly RTW stuff.
To begin, since you work in a business casual environment, grab yourself some white and blue Oxford shirts and some khaki pants from a company like Lands’ End which always has crazy sales. Likewise for your more business formal shirt… go to a place like Charles Tyrwhitt where you can get a handful for cheap. Figure out what you like and what fits you. Maybe grab a v-neck sweater while you’re at it.
For your office days, get a classic navy blazer (with or without metal buttons) and a tweed jacket for the colder days. Don’t penny-pinch on these as they will last you for ages, but you don’t have to go nuts. A place like Brooks Brothers, especially on sale, is a fine bet. For anything more formal, get a solid navy suit. If you don’t wear suits often you can get away with having just this one suit for the rest of your life, practically. For ties, again a place like CT has them for peanuts on sale. Get a navy grenadine and a plain burgundy.
I know you’re concerned about the cost of shoes but that’s one area you don’t want to scrimp. Shoes and mattresses should be of the highest quality you can afford since if you’re not in one, you’re in the other. You don’t want to wreck your knees because you wanted to save a couple bucks on shoes.
Again, go slow. Grab a couple items here and there and you’ll slowly build up your wardrobe and it will be interchangeable with a small quantity. Don’t spend crazy money on your shirts, pants, or ties. Allocate those funds for your sport coats, suits, and shoes.
Hope this helps! Best of luck!

FatherStyle.com
It does indeed! and your comment about shoes is 100% correct. A lot of research ahead I think! Thanks for the advice.

Jason12

Reaction score
Loake 1880 range does free shipping in Australia I believe. The 1880 range are supposedly the higher quality range and all good year welted. Around $400-500. Easy shipping and returns in Aus

Thomas george is an australian GYW shoe company. I found their shoes a little too stiff to break in but the prices are good and easy to return. Around $350

TLD Mallorca Artista line are known to be great quality and low break in time but only free shipping one way. The return policy allows for one size change but otherwise you are paying about $60 AUD to return them. Around $600

Jimba

Reaction score
I have heard of loakes 1880 range. I think Myer or DJ's stock them?
As for stores, would sticking to DJs be best, or is online the way to go? In terms of aesthetics, I'm more of a European-style fan of menswear.

Jason12

Reaction score
I have heard of loakes 1880 range. I think Myer or DJ's stock them?
As for stores, would sticking to DJs be best, or is online the way to go? In terms of aesthetics, I'm more of a European-style fan of menswear.
online is the way to go for me. I think the loake website will stock more than the department stores.

Jimba

Reaction score
online is the way to go for me. I think the loake website will stock more than the department stores.
Yeah, I checked the Myer in the Bris conservative business dress and they didn't stock the 1880 range or any English-made shoes. But if I'm going to spend $650 on shoes, why not spend $100 more and get Crocket and Jones?

Jason12

Reaction score
Yeah, I checked the Myer in the Bris conservative business dress and they didn't stock the 1880 range or any English-made shoes. But if I'm going to spend $650 on shoes, why not spend $100 more and get Crocket and Jones?
Crockett and Jones is better if you can afford. I have the unlined Harvard loafer and they are better than my loakes 1880.

Jimba

Reaction score
Crockett and Jones is better if you can afford. I have the unlined Harvard loafer and they are better than my loakes 1880.
The only thing I worry about is foot support. if you have a flat foot and pronation can that be accommodated?

Jason12

Reaction score
The only thing I worry about is foot support. if you have a flat foot and pronation can that be accommodated?
im not too sure but I have wide and flat feet and usually need to go half size up thenput my own pad at the heel

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads