• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why did you get them in black?

Because.... BOOTH.
lol8[1].gif

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

I have had very good experiences with Vass - multiple orders spot on as requested. They did screw up the most recent one in a potentially big way though - different last than requested. But as it happens it was a last that also works for me and the shoes looked great so no harm at the end of the day.
I've had double instead of single, rubber taps instead of metal, oxford instead of blucher, and red cog instead of cog. Not complaing tho

emiristol

Reaction score
i've also never had any QC or design issues w/ SC, even when giving them very general instructions (e.g. +1 eyelet with a taller boot shaft to compensate). vass on the other hand messed up my first (and only) order with them by not only making them in a different size (7 UK instead of 6 UK; i don't remember which EU sizes they correspond to), but also by using tan calf instead of dark brown suede! admittedly, they were courteous and apologetic, and remade them with no additional charge, but the entire experience put me off

Last edited:

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Any maker will screw up an order from time to time. We have four brands, none of them has a spotless record. Sometimes it's the retailer who puts in the wrong specs. Sometimes the client is unclear or there's a language barrier. Sometimes the office person who writes the production ticket for the factory misses a detail. And somtimes a factory worker just had a bad day. Or the QC person a migraine. Or the courier dropped the parcel from a 4 m ledge. A lot of things can go wrong.

What's important is how the maker and/or retailer deals with the problem. As long as they are willng to correct it I think it's all good.

agedashidofu

Reaction score

Any maker will screw up an order from time to time. We have four brands, none of them has a spotless record. Sometimes it's the retailer who puts in the wrong specs. Sometimes the client is unclear or there's a language barrier. Sometimes the office person who writes the production ticket for the factory misses a detail. And somtimes a factory worker just had a bad day. Or the QC person a migraine. Or the courier dropped the parcel from a 4 m ledge. A lot of things can go wrong.

What's important is how the maker and/or retailer deals with the problem. As long as they are willng to correct it I think it's all good.

+1

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

316 saddle in cognac shell cordovan

God damn! I so need a pair. My girl and I discussed a trip to Eastern Europe, maybe this summer. Romania and Budapest are at the top of the list. Would love to visit Maftei as well.

@Leaves

Get out of here with your sensible logic. There's no place for that around here, sir!

(agree with all points...we are talking about human beings, after all)

:)

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well said

Limniscate

Reaction score

I quite agree - I would be ecstatic to have those in my rotation.  But of course, the customer has every right to insist upon the specifics they ordered and paid for.

My lone MTO from St.C. was exactly as specced, and there were zero QC issues with the other two pairs I purchased from vendors.

I have had very good experiences with Vass - multiple orders spot on as requested.  They did screw up the most recent one in a potentially big way though - different last than requested.  But as it happens it was a last that also works for me and the shoes looked great so no harm at the end of the day.

It is a beautiful shoe, but it's not what I ordered.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads