• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question for y'all. I just grabbed my first S&M suit. I am several shirts and several pairs of trousers. When I took the suits to have the sleeves altered my tailor was hesitant to move the buttons due to the buttonhole stitches. Perhaps this is/was because it was a silk/linen blend. I needed to shorten them about 3/4 of an inch. He suggested a sleeve shortening at the shoulder which we all know is expensive. How have y'all handled this? Maybe we should have Rick ship the suits without the buttons attached. This Is the way my canali suits have come. Is it easy to add working buttons or alteration less expensive by just attaching the buttons and/or creating faux button holes.

Last edited:

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah that's too bad, they certainly have that messed up if you can't choose between the two styles.

The shirt collar is great, I have not tried it under a jacket as I only just got one but I could snap a quick pic tonight with a white polo under the brown jacket a grabbed to give you an idea.

Would be helpful. Thanks.

afterthesuit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question for y'all. I just grab my first S&M suit. I am several shirts and several pairs of trousers. When I took the students to have the sleeves altered My tailor was hesitant to move the buttons due to the buttonhole stitches. I needed to shorten about 3/4 of an inch. He Suggested a sleeve shortening at the shoulder which we all know it is expensive. How have you'all handled this? Maybe we should have Rick ship the suits without the buttons attached. This Is the way my canali suits have come. Is it easy to add working buttons or alteration less expensive by just attaching the buttons.

My tailor just removes the bottom button and stitching and adds it above the other buttons.

Spex

Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion about the collars? I'm trying to decide which one. I already have several non S&M (branded) polos with ribbed collars so I'm thinking the shirt collar version. Are they suitable to wear under a casual sportcoat?

I think they are supposed to be releasing some new polos with a new and improved shirt collar. Not sure when this is, but the previous shirt collar was decent, so I have high hopes for these.

I have worn the shirt collar polos with a sportcoat. Not ideal, but looks alright. The new ones should work well, if you're into the look (and who wouldn't be!).

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On that note.

IMG_2236.JPG

IMG_2237.JPG

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

The Dirk

Reaction score
Hah! That was pretty much my thinking as well.

The dress in my workplace is so casual that most folks are just going to see a suit of any kind and assume it's very formal unless it has some kind of strange pattern or something.
I'm in the same situation! I try to look good and well put together, but it's lost on almost everyone at work haha.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads