• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The armoury has its flaws too. I bought a ring jacket sport coat years ago in the store. Went home to my tailor and he said there’s enough that needs altering and to return it. I called them to return it (like 4 days after I bought it) and they said I can’t because I bought it in store vs online. I said how was I supposed to know that? They told me they have a little sign by the register and that most customers in store don’t return things anyways. That was Jim.

So I had to sell it for like a $500 loss. I’ll take no fabric weight or hard to get fabric weight over a silly return policy any day. So ya, every company has dumb things about them.
Saw below (well, above) you were unaware of the mostly gratis in-house alterations. Bummer all around. I'd LOVE to know the rationale behind that particular policy, because that's one incredibly strange policy, and, as someone who's similarly not noticed said sign in store, you ain't alone.
And I would add, the Armoury's most inexpensive sport coat (cotton) is $1100. Suit $1500.
Their lowest price shirt is literally a T-shirt @$115.
I think this has to be taken into consideration if attempting to compare with S&M.

To be fair, fabric weight isn't a big deal for me. Price to quality is far more important as well as ease of return and communication.

Very difficult to get someone on the phone at S&M, if not impossible but in your situation the Armoury picked right up to tell you TFB about that SC you want to return. Thats a really odd policy. Come into the store and buy something and no return but online, A-OK.
If talking anything past garment quality, I could not disagree more. Yes, something coming in at 2-3x (sometimes ~4!) pricier than Spier should not be comparable...that's it. Customer service? Any purveyor should (within reason, of course) should strive for excellence in that department. Hell, we're not even talking going above and beyond in this case. We're discussing SM's CS team actively (I still hold out hope something was lost in translation between them and @stro ) withholding available info for seemingly no reason whatsoever, assuming Rick is still able and willing to provide said info via IG.

And, if he now isn't (can we get an experiment @DonRaphael :rotflmao: ) for whatever reason, just truly an unspeakably weird stand to take.

stro

Reaction score
there's not a ton of room for translation/interpretation between me and the CS team or the IG account, but hopefully others have more luck. as for me i'm 100 pages deep in the ongoing bespoke thread and my wife is suspiciously and unreasonably agreeable to the prospect of multiple trips to florence each year. i don't think these kids are going to college.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's not a ton of room for translation/interpretation between me and the CS team or the IG account, but hopefully others have more luck. as for me i'm 100 pages deep in the ongoing bespoke thread and my wife is suspiciously and unreasonably agreeable to the prospect of multiple trips to florence each year. i don't think these kids are going to college.
Unless they are going down a career path that necessitates a specific college degree I believe it is over rated. Save the money

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pp,504x498-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

Ortip

Reaction score
Has anyone bought this season's Shetland sweaters? This burgundy looks nice

View attachment 2078443

The Brushed version also looks good

View attachment 2078445
I did. Quality is OK, relatively soft, but thinner than my Oconnell Shetlands. Im a 40r, contemporary 15.5/35 in Spier and usually go for large in their knits, but this was bigger than usual. Could likely have gone with a medium.

Personally I'm sticking with Oconnells going forward, considering I don't buy that many sweaters.

JTrent82

Reaction score

View attachment 2078443

View attachment 2078445
I really like the Shetlands- they're the same quality as last year, and true to size. The brushed shetland, however, I did not like. It looks like my dog has been sleeping on it for a year. Practically made of pills, and it came out of the box that way.

capablebedroom

Reaction score
Help me decide between an Ulster coat or polo coat. The main difference I can tell is that the Ulster would be about three inches longer (if I sized up on the polo coat as they recommend). I like the extra length on the Ulster but I really like the classic camel shade of the polo coat.

St1X

Reaction score
Help me decide between an Ulster coat or polo coat. The main difference I can tell is that the Ulster would be about three inches longer (if I sized up on the polo coat as they recommend). I like the extra length on the Ulster but I really like the classic camel shade of the polo coat.
Ulster will have more volume in body too.
I bought an ulster in my usual suit size and I had to size down.
I bought a Polo and I had to size up and it's still pretty trim

Rhodia

Reaction score
MTO question (again): Spier offers a 3-roll-2.5 modification for their standard block Sportcoat. However, their RTW non-Neo are either 2-button or 3-roll-2.

I bought the latter this season in the DiPray Donegal and would like to MTO this same cut in a different fabric or two.

Is this just semantic on SM's part, or is there a difference here?

milktoast

Reaction score

View attachment 2078443

View attachment 2078445
I bought the brushed brown one. Tried it on and it was warm (of course as you'd want one to be) and comfy. No other impressions at the moment since I haven't worn it for more than 3 minutes. Looking forward to pairing it with an OCBD for a holiday party or something of the sort.

Last edited:

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten the new balmacaan yet? Thoughts? It’s a lot cheaper than offerings from Wythe or Permanent Style, but it looks quite nice.

capablebedroom

Reaction score
Ulster will have more volume in body too.
I bought an ulster in my usual suit size and I had to size down.
I bought a Polo and I had to size up and it's still pretty trim
That's interesting. Was the polo too tight? Did you find the measurements on the website roughly accurate for each?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads