• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

classicoutfits

Reaction score
Has anyone gotten the new balmacaan yet? Thoughts? It’s a lot cheaper than offerings from Wythe or Permanent Style, but it looks quite nice.

I am planning to get it.

For those who has the balmacaan, is the shoulder width comparable to the sport coats? Do it have too much padding? The neo cut is forgiving for shoulder width and this balmacaan size chart doesn’t even mention shoulder

pyunghwa

Reaction score
I am planning to get it.

For those who has the balmacaan, is the shoulder width comparable to the sport coats? Do it have too much padding? The neo cut is forgiving for shoulder width and this balmacaan size chart doesn’t even mention shoulder

The Balmacaan does not have any padding in the shoulder. It’s just fabric.

I went one size up on the Balmacaan and it fits my tweedy sports coat comfortably.

The fabric is very nice. I also have the navy twill ulster from this season, and the ulsters fabric is much thicker. I’m not sure I would wear the Balmacaan in the dead of winter without a very thick sweater and many layers underneath. It’s thick, but not Canadian winter thick.

I went true to size on the ulster. I find it has nice drape, and not too trim like the polos.

I typically wear a 36R in Spier. 5’8 and approx 140lb.

Last edited:

pyunghwa

Reaction score
Here are some pictures:

36R ulster
1701272726721.png

38 balmacaan
1701272806047.png

1701272856974.png

40 balmacaan
1701272932059.png

1701272972513.png

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to order the sweater and a dress shirt to the store so I can go try the sweater on at least. I left a voicemail a couple of days ago and sent an email after no one picked up the phone. No wonder you guys are frustrated.

ShibuiC

Reaction score
I'm trying to order the sweater and a dress shirt to the store so I can go try the sweater on at least. I left a voicemail a couple of days ago and sent an email after no one picked up the phone. No wonder you guys are frustrated.

I'm local as well and completely understand the frustration. The store carries very few products, and last time I requested to have something sent to the store so I could see it and try it on, I had to beg. They kept suggesting I buy online and return.

If you know your size and buy online, just leave a note that you will be picking the item up in store and they will email you when it's ready (and refund the $8 shipping as credit if your order is under the threshold).

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm local as well and completely understand the frustration. The store carries very few products, and last time I requested to have something sent to the store so I could see it and try it on, I had to beg. They kept suggesting I buy online and return.

If you know your size and buy online, just leave a note that you will be picking the item up in store and they will email you when it's ready (and refund the $8 shipping as credit if your order is under the threshold).

I get most of their business is online but this isn't ideal for local folks. Especially since their products are inconsistent in sizing.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite their popularity on SF for a moment, I just don't think that the belt adds anything to a balmacaan look. And I was all for it a few years ago. @pyunghwa the 38 and 40 look equally good on you. Were these worn w/ a sportcoat or just a sweater?

pyunghwa

Reaction score
Despite their popularity on SF for a moment, I just don't think that the belt adds anything to a balmacaan look. And I was all for it a few years ago. @pyunghwa the 38 and 40 look equally good on you. Were these worn w/ a sportcoat or just a sweater?

The ulster was worn with a tweed SC. Both balmacaans were worn with just an Aran sweater.

I should note that I rolled up the sleeves on the 40 in the photo with the belt.

milktoast

Reaction score
Going two sizes up from your suit/SC size on the balmacaan seems a bit excessive. Maybe one size up is reasonable, depending on your physique/preferences. I’m 5’10, 147-150 pounds, wear a 36R slim in Spier SCs, and went with a 36 in the balmacaan last year. Can comfortably wear a SC under it. I’ve tried on a 38 balmacaan and found it too loose without the belt untied and had too much excessive fabric with the belt tied. Of course, your mileage may vary.

dalyns

Reaction score
I really like the Shetlands- they're the same quality as last year, and true to size. The brushed shetland, however, I did not like. It looks like my dog has been sleeping on it for a year. Practically made of pills, and it came out of the box that way.
Did you notice a size difference between the years? The size chart suggests they are larger than last year's -a medium is 42.5 but I think last year was 40.9 with a large being 42.5.

JTrent82

Reaction score
Did you notice a size difference between the years? The size chart suggests they are larger than last year's -a medium is 42.5 but I think last year was 40.9 with a large being 42.5.
I sized down last year but it was a mistake. This year I got my regular size. So I can't offer a direct comparison unfortunately.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads