• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sydneycider

Reaction score
Should comment that I think S&M's care instructions are a bit conservative. For example, I have one of their basic 100% merino turtlenecks - was surprised to see the tag say dry clean only. I was not about to do that, so I washed cold/gentle and laid flat to dry...perfect...no issues.
I have also been washing my merino polos on the "hand wash" cycle at 20c.

They tighten up but don't shrink and will stretch out with wear.

ElliotG

Reaction score
Pictures please!

Okay. I'm no @DonRaphael or @1st Step when it comes to taking Spier "in the wild" pics. But here's my best, quick attempt in natural light.

Gray Check sport coat (Contemporary 44L) (https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/di-pray---gray-check---72-24371-nsc-01-fw22) with VBC medium gray flannels (Contemporary 38) (https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/medium-gray-flannel---side-tabs--504-8014-nt02-fw22)

The sport coat is a rare non-Neapolitan 3-roll-2!

PXL_20221228_142707509.jpg
PXL_20221228_142750335.jpg

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay. I'm no @DonRaphael or @1st Step when it comes to taking Spier "in the wild" pics. But here's my best, quick attempt in natural light.

Gray Check sport coat (Contemporary 44L) (https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/di-pray---gray-check---72-24371-nsc-01-fw22) with VBC medium gray flannels (Contemporary 38) (https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/medium-gray-flannel---side-tabs--504-8014-nt02-fw22)

View attachment 1872289 View attachment 1872290
Looking good, mate. Any differences you're able to spot between this and the Neo cut?

ElliotG

Reaction score

Brothers in Style: look how many sizes are left!

1672239139974.png

1672239155475.png

And still 15% off! This thing is so freakin' soft too. Wears almost like a cardigan, looks like a blazer that costs at least 2x!

ElliotG

Reaction score
Looking good, mate. Any differences you're able to spot between this and the Neo cut?

Thanks! My last Neo purchase was a suit from SS18, so I don't feel qualified to opine. That suit also is worsted wool with a full-lined jacket. It has always felt a bit constricting, to be honest, which is why I've avoided Neo cut since. But I know there have been tweaks to the pattern, hence my hesitancy to offer a comparison.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to buy two items. One is not in stock in the store, didn't even bother to ask about the other item. Could have it shipped to me but with all the backlog. I shall pass.

I hope in 2023 Spier gets their act together.

JayDee90

Reaction score
Went to buy two items. One is not in stock in the store, didn't even bother to ask about the other item. Could have it shipped to me but with all the backlog. I shall pass.

I hope in 2023 Spier gets their act together.
Their in-store inventory is notoriously short stocked and if they have a new item it is usually in very limited sizes. If I am passing by, I always call a few days ahead and ask them to pull any pieces I am considering purchasing (or are final sale) so I can see them in person.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their in-store inventory is notoriously short stocked and if they have a new item it is usually in very limited sizes. If I am passing by, I always call a few days ahead and ask them to pull any pieces I am considering purchasing (or are final sale) so I can see them in person.

I like to go in-store as their sizing is just all over the place. Buying online is very risky unless you've dialed your size down.

JayDee90

Reaction score
I like to go in-store as their sizing is just all over the place. Buying online is very risky unless you've dialed your size down.
Yes, I agree the hassle of returns (both shipping/dropping off items and also the delay of processing said returns) make buying online, even if local, more than just a friction

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know we all grumble about S&M's slow customer service. I've had minor frustrations over the years but I let them slide. I know it's a small business.

The latest issue has pushed me over the edge. I've been trying to return a pair of pants since November 30th. There was some confusion about which pair, and I clarified that with the customer service rep. on December 13th. I assumed a shipping label would arrive shortly thereafter, but it never did. I reached out December 23rd and still haven't received a response.

I sent an Instagram DM, but I don't know if that will help. Has anyone tried calling? Does anyone man the phones?

conak

Reaction score
It’s terrific. The color is toned down vs the very red Drago version from the summer. More weight to the fabric for the cold months. And some nice details- double pleats, double pick stitching, Milanese lapel hole.

How're you liking that winter solaro in its second season? Is it really a fall/winter weight? I'm a bit thrown off by the weight being 340 gsm, because the original Smith Woolens Solaro is labeled as "355 gm 11/12 oz". I know the original is said to be a heavier, vintage weight, but if VBC's "winter Solaro" comes in 15 gsm less than the original summer fabric, I'm not sure if the brits are just measuring differently or it's a marketing gimmick that will leave me cold.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must admit, I have been understanding with a week for orders and such to ship, but after buying from a few small and decent sized companies and them shipping next day, or within 2-3 business days, I just don’t think S&M should be having such long lead times for shipping. Not that I need the items next week/urgently, but I feel it should be faster than it is.

I placed a Boxing Day sale order a few days ago, let’s see how long until it ships.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How're you liking that winter solaro in its second season? Is it really a fall/winter weight? I'm a bit thrown off by the weight being 340 gsm, because the original Smith Woolens Solaro is labeled as "355 gm 11/12 oz". I know the original is said to be a heavier, vintage weight, but if VBC's "winter Solaro" comes in 15 gsm less than the original summer fabric, I'm not sure if the brits are just measuring differently or it's a marketing gimmick that will leave me cold.
I can’t measure and so can’t vouch for 340gsm. But it is heavier and warmer than so called all season worsted wool. Where are you located?

blewnote1

Reaction score
I bought the SB jacket with the regular rise pants. They were the same. The fabric is great BTW

I have this DB and the high rise pants to match in off white and they are *chef's kiss*. My tailor remarked on how nice the fabric was when I picked them up, she said you never see linen like this anymore. I was on the fence about whether it was "too much" but have been wearing the hell out of it since I bought it in the summer.

Been meaning to post a fit pic... don't have a full body but here's the jacket from our outing to the Nutcracker last week. Paired with with the VBC high twist trousers in dark brown (almost a charcoal color) and it looks great.

IMG_1373.jpg
IMG_1377_2.jpg

tmckay2

Reaction score
I must admit, I have been understanding with a week for orders and such to ship, but after buying from a few small and decent sized companies and them shipping next day, or within 2-3 business days, I just don’t think S&M should be having such long lead times for shipping. Not that I need the items next week/urgently, but I feel it should be faster than it is.

I placed a Boxing Day sale order a few days ago, let’s see how long until it ships.

I placed one 12/23 and it hasn't shipped yet but is a bit bigger. I placed another 12/24 and it shipped 12/27

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics