• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Spectre

Reaction score
I wear a 38R sportcoat but I had to size down to XS in the Shetlands. I haven't washed the sweater and I don't intend to tbh. I had my Pendleton for over ten years and I only ever spot-cleaned it.

I wear a 38R sportcoat but I had to size down to XS in the Shetlands. I haven't washed the sweater and I don't intend to tbh. I had my Pendleton for over ten years and I only ever spot-cleaned it.

Thanks for the feedback gents. I'm a 40R. I'll try the S and report back.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BlueSteel

Reaction score
I missed out on the olive. Hope it'll be restocked if this is what they actually dropped https://www.permanentstyle.com/2017/05/olive-covert-cloth-suit-from-sartoria-vergallo.html

Please take pics once they arrive.

I grabbed the light gray coverts - the website pic pretty clearly shows they have some gorgeous blue undertones. Should get those next week I expect (after S&M puts a cuff on them for me).

I know web pics can be somewhat inaccurate sometimes, but the olive covert S&M is showing currently does not appear to be the same as the olive-gray described by Simon and shown in his pics. The olive covert trousers S&M is showing appear to be more green.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I grabbed the light gray coverts - the website pic pretty clearly shows they have some gorgeous blue undertones. Should get those next week I expect (after S&M puts a cuff on them for me).

I know web pics can be somewhat inaccurate sometimes, but the olive covert S&M is showing currently does not appear to be the same as the olive-gray described by Simon and shown in his pics. The olive covert trousers S&M is showing appear to be more green.
I already have the charcoal, which are fantastic. I've also ordered some other colours which are incoming. But I was hesitant towards the olive for the exact same reason as you stated: they appear too green. I was hoping for something more along the lines of Simon's pair. I can see now that the olive is oos on the website.

I'm not sure if VBC offers two different shades of olives for their covert trousers or of the difference is due to different batches. Nevertheless, it'd be interesting to see what the actual colour of the Spier version is like since, as you stated, Spier's studio pics can be deceiving for different reasons.

iloveplaid

Reaction score
Has anyone heard from SM by email this past week? I started emailing them 1.5 weeks ago to all their email addresses with multiple follow ups about a return and have not hear back once. Becoming increasingly frustrated because I’ve passed the 14 day return window now.

Jlee80

Reaction score
Has anyone heard from SM by email this past week? I started emailing them 1.5 weeks ago to all their email addresses with multiple follow ups about a return and have not hear back once. Becoming increasingly frustrated because I’ve passed the 14 day return window now.
Hopefully because you emailed them within the 14 day window that you should be fine. You initiated it within that time, so there’s only so much you can do

Jlee80

Reaction score
As we have talked about quality control and consistency lately, here is my take… Would love to hear some other thoughts.

I do understand there will be some inconsistency with the ready-to-wear products, however when someone is placing an MTO order whether it be a suit, a sportcoat, trousers or a shirt… I feel because the extra money is being spent and that product is supposed to be a better service all around, that sizing, consistency and quality control should be very high, especially if going full canvas and paying the extra $ for that.

I get that not every RTW product can be the same across the board sizing wise, but when a customers choosing your company, your product to go to the MTO’s route… That item should be as close to what you requested as possible.

just my 2 cents.

Jlee80

Reaction score
As we have talked about quality control and consistency lately, here is my take… Would love to hear some other thoughts.

I do understand there will be some inconsistency with the ready-to-wear products, however when someone is placing an MTO order whether it be a suit, a sportcoat, trousers or a shirt… I feel because the extra money is being spent and that product is supposed to be a better service all around, that sizing, consistency and quality control should be very high, especially if going full canvas and paying the extra $ for that.

I get that not every RTW product can be the same across the board sizing wise, but when a customers choosing your company, your product to go to the MTO’s route… That item should be as close to what you requested as possible.

just my 2 cents.
And I’m not bagging on S&M here.. for the most part they’ve done a really solid job. I’m saying as customers spending hard earned money, you shouldn’t feel bad about getting what you want, the “oh well within tolerance” mindset needs to go… we are allowed to be picky, especially on MTO/MTM.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I sent a return package to them which was received 10 days ago. I emailed the same day for confirmation but haven't received a response since. Tried to get in touch with Rick on IG for a week now as well without any success. He hasn't even opened my messages. So response time seems slower than usual.

just my 2 cents.

For reference, I had placed an order for MTO items a couple of months ago that arrived some weeks ago. I did share a list on here with requirements that I ask Spier to check when going the MTO route. I did find some success with it previously. But my last order came with the usual inconsistencies. Just wanted to put that out there since I've stated that I've been completely satisfied with my MTOs previously. Not so much with my last order. Back to square one.

I must say, I don't know why Spier has such inconsistencies. There's another affiliate vendor on here from whom I've ordered shirts and trousers for the last +10 years and never have they ever deviated from my measurements. 100 % consistency during all these years. Down to every detail.

Last edited:

Jlee80

Reaction score
I sent a return package to them which was received 10 days ago. I emailed the same day for confirmation but haven't received a response since. Tried to get in touch with Rick on IG for a week now as well without any success. He hasn't even opened my messages. So response time seems slower than usual.

For reference, I had placed an order for MTO items a couple of months ago that arrived some weeks ago. I did share a list on here with requirements that I ask Spier to check when placing going the MTO order. I did find some success with it previously. But my last order came with the usual inconsistencies. Just wanted to put that out here since I've stated that I've been completely satisfied with my MTOs previously. Not so much with my last order. Back to square one.

I must say, I don't know why Spier has such inconsistencies. There's another affiliate vendor on here from whom I've ordered shirts and trousers for the last +10 years and never have they ever deviated from my measurements. 100 % consistency during all these years. Down to every detail.
That’s exactly what I’m talking about. There shouldn’t be these type of inconsistencies, the MTO stuff should be dang near perfect

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JTrent82

Reaction score
I'm frankly shocked that S&M ever achieved any level of accuracy or consistency with Chinese factory labor at this price point. I hate to call their customers' expectations unrealistic, but there's a reason you pay 2-4x more for tailored products from well-regarded Italian factories. In my experience, you really do get what you pay for, and you pay for what you get.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads