• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sons of well dressed fathers?

Nogginn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
My fathers style would be similar in look and fit to Rodney Dangerfield. But, everyone liked him for being genuine.

Hey, I liked Rodney. I met him at his club years ago in Manhattan. He did wear those 1950's - mid 60's type suits but they were very nice although not too fashionable.

Annadale

Reaction score
When my father was on his deathbed, he looked down at my feet and said, "Good shoes, son." So much meaning in those three words. I loved that man.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker

2. Im tempted to sig this.
smile.gif

I think you have to.
bigstar[1].gif

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Annadale
When my father was on his deathbed, he looked down at my feet and said, "Good shoes, son." So much meaning in those three words. I loved that man.

Is that a true story?

Reaction score
My dad used to think he was well dressed back in the 70's and 80's. He still thinks he has some sort of fashion sense so hes always trying to give me advice saying my clothes are too small. I try to explain that clothing wears better when its tailored but he doesn't listen. Oh well :shrug:

Annadale

Reaction score
Is that a true story?

Yes. He died in October 2009. He was a beekeeper, and ripped open a heart vein when lifting a box of bees. I arrived into hospital a day after getting 'the call'. After saying hello in our usual awkward fashion, those were his next words. I must admit, I am welling up here thinking about it.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Annadale
Yes. He died in October 2009. He was a beekeeper, and ripped open a heart vein when lifting a box of bees. I arrived into hospital a day after getting 'the call'. After saying hello in our usual awkward fashion, those were his next words. I must admit, I am welling up here thinking about it.

Damn man. Sorry bout that - what kind of shoes were they?
smile.gif

Annadale

Reaction score
Damn man. Sorry bout that - what kind of shoes were they?
smile.gif

Thanks for your sympathy. They were a pair of 15/16 year old Church's oxblood brogues. Very well made having survived two divorces and umpteen re-soleings!

EndlessBreak

Reaction score
I would not characterize my father as having a particularly strong influence on my style. In fact, for most of my life I would say that his clothing was very non-descript in a Sears catalogue kind of way.

However, when I look at pictures of him growing up (as a boy and teenager in India and New York and as a university student and bachelor in LA and Toronto) he seemed very dashing. The tennis/cricket whites of his youth seem to lend a certain elegance, while the stylish suits he wore in the 50s/60s look like they were straight out of Mad Men. It's almost like he gave up after he married my mother! But...it works for him...they've been happily married for over 40 years.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get more fashion sense from my peers than I ever did from my father. Maybe I am just making up for my lack of Rebellion in my youth but I have completely different state than my father.

Matt S

Reaction score
I learned a little from my father (don't wear black suits) but little else. My father wears a decorated surcingle belt with a formal suit and black shoes. He likes quality clothes but prefers to keep them in the back of his closet never to be worn. He will never wear a pair of pants that don't have turn ups. My mother had a hard time convincing him not to put turn-ups on his dinner suit.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
My mother had a hard time convincing him not to put turn-ups on his dinner suit.

Shades of Fred Astaire in Swing Time, I believe!

Mr_Incognito

Reaction score
Both my parents like to dress well, my father says its not expensive clothing that makes you look good but rather your personality and he definitely proved it correct, at least to me.
My mother on the other hand had a lot of interest in knitting and tailoring and when I was a kid she would always make me really beautiful sweaters and coats but I didn't appreciate it very much as I wanted to dress like kids my age who wore department store clothes. I owe it to styleforum for teaching me a big lesson in this regard. Now, I don't have the courage to ask her to knit anything for me.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My father was well-dressed in a semi-trad sort of way.
He shopped at Rogers Peet and later Brooks and Paul Stuart.
Wore Johnson and Murphy and Church's Shoes (Custom Grade)
Had all his shirts custom made of necessity- He had a 17 1/2 in
neck but was only 5'9" and 170 lb- an ex La Crosse player.
When I was very young he had a tweed overcoat made from
some hand loomed stuff acquired in England during World War II.
Not bad for the son of poor immigrants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads