• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I'm stuck with a black suit

Cenex

Reaction score
Thanks for all your advice. To clarify, the jacket is too big in the chest, and possibly a little bit in the shoulders. Basically what you would expect with an off the rack suit.

Anyway, I went back and bought a charcoal suit, still staying on the cheap side. $295 on sale for $99, 100 grade wool. Can't think of the brand right now.

Lucan

Reaction score
I picked up a cheap black suit recently (Charles Tyrwhitt, unworn for £50). I was unsure about it first and would certainly not recommend a black suit before Charcoal and Navy, but I've grown to like it and wouldn't dispense with it just because it's black.

I think it looks particularly effective with pink shirts, and despite a comment above I prefer it with white shirts to blue.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your advice. To clarify, the jacket is too big in the chest, and possibly a little bit in the shoulders. Basically what you would expect with an off the rack suit.

I'm still not sure I understand the fit issue - I certainly don't expect an off-the-rack suit to be "too big" anywhere.

Are you perhaps referrring to the cut / style / design as being too boxy as opposed to the more form-fitting contemporary norm?

Anyway - I hope you are happier with your second purchase than you were with your first.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads