• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes With Character

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by juniper
Cheaney suede brogues, about 5 years old, after second resole. Just brushed, and excess nap burned off with a lighter. Never used a suede cleaner on them.

sole.jpg

top.jpg

Shoes are in sweet shape.

But if you like a 'newer look' I recommend getting a brass bristle suede brush from your local cobbler. They are a lot 'stiffer' than a normal suede brush and not to be used everytime you brush your shoes (would probably tear up the seams.)

BUT I just took a new brass brush to a couple of pairs of old shoes and even the 'bald' spots went away with a little work. They look like new.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
IF you're speaking of eGW he calls in pateena.

I'm all for the pateeeeeeeena look on polished leathers (meaning shading and changing of tone etc. etc. etc.) But for me suede just looks 'worn out' and dumpy when it's not in great shape.

One man's treasure.............
fight[1].gif

juniper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
who did your resole? nice job

Timpsons, which is the biggest (maybe the monopoly?) chain services (shoes, keycutting etc.) shop in the UK. One in every town. Obviously some variation in quality of work, but it's directly managed not franchised, and they're pretty good.

65 quid for JR Sole & Heel (Normal leather is 55, so well worth it.)

Pembers

Reaction score
First ever SF post.
blush.gif
Thought this might be a good place to start my career.

My hand-me-down New & Lingwood (Poulsen Skone) brogues. Almost as old as I am!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

...and some C&J sydney loafers. Not quite as beautiful as the above, I wouldn't say, but at least the "character" is all my own work.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
those need to fade from red to white to blue, then they would have character
laugh.gif

BTW good job

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads