• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes With Character

amlai

Reaction score
Just got these back from JP Myhre for a repair/refurbishment. I wish I had taken some before photos because they were in really bad shape. New heel, half outsole, toe plates, dying, waxing, and glazing. I assume it was a half outsole because he didn't think a full replacement was necessary.
IMG_3259cropped.jpg
IMG_3260sized.jpg

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Some old-stock handmade shoes. Anyone want to guess the maker?

a5bf0f9c.jpg

Nice shoes! Do you know roundabout when these might have been made? Remind me a lot, cut and stylewise, of a pair I picked up recently that were made in the 1940's. Different brand.

1yn91k.jpg

Posted a thread about them here with more pics if anyone is interested: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=232391

amlai

Reaction score
$220 for recraft + $111 for shipping back from Norway. I think it's a very fair price for refurbishing a bespoke shoe.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amlai
$220 for recraft + $111 for shipping back from Norway. I think it's a very fair price for refurbishing a bespoke shoe.

shipping cost is a bit crazy

amlai

Reaction score
Yes, the shipping is insane, but it's pretty typical of what shoemakers charge to send shoes over the Atlantic. (My recollection is that it's about what I paid to send them over there as well.)

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amlai
Yes, the shipping is insane, but it's pretty typical of what shoemakers charge to send shoes over the Atlantic. (My recollection is that it's about what I paid to send them over there as well.)

alright, not a shoemaker.

though, I delivered to interested parties in the whole world.

standard with Österreichische Post:

U.S. € 22,-

HKG € 28,-

juniper

Reaction score
Cheaney suede brogues, about 5 years old, after second resole. Just brushed, and excess nap burned off with a lighter. Never used a suede cleaner on them.

sole.jpg

top.jpg

Smudge

Reaction score
I'm pretty hard on my shoes and both of these are 4+ years old and in regular rotation, they are on their second resole. Loake Exeter (1880 range)
img0355fy.jpg
Loake Twynning (Shoemaker range)
img0359m.jpg

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
alright, not a shoemaker.

though, I delivered to interested parties in the whole world.

standard with Österreichische Post:

U.S. € 22,-

HKG € 28,-

JP Mhyre's shoes are far more expensive than what you are accustomed to handling. I would assume that a large part of the cost is insurance.

Smudge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
Nice patina on those. About due for another resole, no?

The Exeter's are OK but the Twynnings are soon going to need a third resole soon. I wear each pair no more that once a week, with this level of rotation, am I alone in needing 3 resoles in 5 years (heels even more often)?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FestusMariah