• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes With Character

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yes. I think so. I'm in Sydney and shell is not a very common material for shoes here - so I can confidently say that if these are shell they are the only ones I have every seen in the flesh.

They are old - they have the big bubbly ripples and no creases per se. You can't see it in the photo, but they have a nice patina too....so, yes, shell. And all for $5 at the vintage clothing stall at my local markets.

I actually thrifted a pair of shell Aldens in Sydney. Never thought it would happen.

Last edited:

Selvaggio

Reaction score

I actually thrifted a pair of shell Aldens in Sydney. Never thought it would happen.

Crikey by jingos! Florsheim, at least, is sold here and has been for donkeys' years. But Alden Shell? Did they fit?

As an aside, I am always struck by the fact that there are quite a few Brooks Brothers shirts which I come across in the second hand shops. Mail order? Maybe returning expats.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Crikey by jingos! Florsheim, at least, is sold here and has been for donkeys' years. But Alden Shell? Did they fit?

As an aside, I am always struck by the fact that there are quite a few Brooks Brothers shirts which I come across in the second hand shops. Mail order? Maybe returning expats.

Nah they were size 8. I sent them to the USA. I get a lot of Brooks for meself and me sons. They love them and the non-iron is pretty effective if you handle the drying right.

Last edited:

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
while doing some clean-up for local Goodwill...with character or just plain FUGLY? ColeH from the Bragano line 1994 ....:facepalm:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fugly? No, flat out ugly.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of shoes with character, allow me to share 2 pair of vintage Florsheim Kenmoors. One pair had been unworn but suffered terribly from mold. After several treatments in bleachy water, (as per this thread http://www.styleforum.net/forum/thread/260103/treating-musty-moldy-leather-what-works-for-you , I was able to kill the mold and lighten the shoes at the same time.
Here are the 2 pair, both identical and between 20-25 years young. The lighter pair used to be exactly the same colour as the darker pair before bleaching.
Right-click on image and open new window to see the image at full size. Hope you enjoy.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Speaking of shoes with character, allow me to share 2 pair of vintage Florsheim Kenmoors. One pair had been unworn but suffered terribly from mold. After several treatments in bleachy water, (as per this thread http://www.styleforum.net/forum/thread/260103/treating-musty-moldy-leather-what-works-for-you , I was able to kill the mold and lighten the shoes at the same time.
Here are the 2 pair, both identical and between 20-25 years young. The lighter pair used to be exactly the same colour as the darker pair before bleaching.
Right-click on image and open new window to see the image at full size. Hope you enjoy.

That mild bleaching turned out a superb colour...

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1. I also like how pronounced the grain/embossing is on those 2 pairs. My vintage V-Cleat Imperials' uppers are nowhere near as nice. Iirc, leather on mine is 'cashmere calf' or whatever and looks similar to current Kenmoors.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What I also really like is the "plywood" effect on the sole edging post bleaching. I would just condition that and not put an edge colouring on it at all.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads