• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dont know why but lately I'm addicted to terre d'hermes.
after terre like many perfumes smells like simple,

so i trust your taste, recommend me something to try, i will find a way to try it

Is there a price range you have in mind? Are there any fragrances you specifically dislike?

L'Occitane has a great Lemon Verbena eau de toilette that I often layer with other things, but it's great for stifling summer heat. There are other great light fragrances from L'Occitane and are of great quality for their price and easy to access.

Another light masculine classic is Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior. People complain that it disappears quickly but in Texas it sticks around because your body is heating up those basenotes more than elsewhere. I gave it to my Dad for Christmas because, among other reasons, he has oily skin and lives in Texas as well - so this is a good scent for him.

In the same vein as Eau Sauvage is Chanel Pour Monsieur which is a light masculine scent, and may very well become one of your favorites of all time!

Then there's one of my favorites, Voyage d'Hermes, which is light and tropical but not in a mango/papaya fruit kind of way but more of a smell that you'd get by accumulating a bunch of smells that only exist between the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn.

And I'll throw this out there - incense perfumes/scents go well in hot weather. I'm thinking in particular Timbuktu, which is ethereal enough to be a frequent burst of wonderful incense smell rising up from your chest in a hot climate.

Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Good list. Eau Sauvage actually stays around a long time, it just doesn't project. I think some noses fatigue more quickly than others, and because that initial stinky citrus blast wears off, the spicy/woody base gets lost. BUT, it's still there (likewise with Creed neroli sauvage... it's still there 10 hours later... just not like it was at first.)

Speaking of, I wanted to do an "eau" comparison and so did Sauvage on my left and Eau de Rochas on my right. I mentioned before that they are similar types of dry, woody, non-sweet citrus scents. Side by side Roudnitska's genius with Sauvage comes through. I like Rochas very much (don't know who the nose is), but it comes across like dry straw with lemon poured on top... where the sauvage takes you on a complete journey. really amazing how very simple basic parts can be so different. sauvage has a spicy kick, a fresh tartness, and an earthy base that makes you keep sniffing. The Rochas, good as it is, keeps you in much the same place.

This is where parfumery is an art; same basic ingredients... seen separately both enjoyable... but when compared the 'stars' shine quite clearly.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How do you like it?
Today, Sycomore

I enjoy the scent. Especially at the outset, it's big and bold and attention-getting. I still think it smells really related (at least at the start) to Bois du Portugal, which is fine. "Powerhouse 1980's Rich Man sipping scotch in a leather library at evening with the fire going" is entirely appropriate and necessary at times. I don't think it has the versatility for me to be an every day sort of thing, but in its element I do enjoy it.

I'm rather poor with examining a scent hours later unless I get a distinct whiff - just get caught up in the processes of the day.

I've found myself leaning strongly towards vetivers as a "signature" scent (TFGV is my current fav) although I've been searching for Sycomore. I was told the only Nordys that has it is the flagship store in Seattle because of the Chanel boutique inside it. Other than that I'll have to rely on e-commerce. Is it as good as reviews have proclaimed? It's on the top of my to-test list.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'Twas bright and sunny in Sydney, so Philosykos today. My parents' fig trees after rain. Absolutely love this.

owin

Reaction score
Is there a price range you have in mind? Are there any fragrances you specifically dislike?

actually under 200$ or around 200$ with discount would be nice,

first rule of the fight club, you must not smell like candy store:)

i want something complicated but at the same time clean, i no like dark flowery night smells, and powderys smells killing me (i hated tomford black orchird for over floral and bvlgari blv for over powdery effect )

i wanna smell like i dont care for the world cause I'm cool or elegant (like terre dhermes like chanel no 5)

also i like bvlgari pour homme but it stays like 20min on my skin

im not a brand whore, i can go up and down for the price i just want it to worth, i was about to buy creed GIT but then i ve read everybody says it smells exactly like cool water, I ve smelled cool water it was like detergent on the openning and had terrible dry down so couldnt find

what do you guys says for L'air du dessert marocain and Musc ravageure. people talks highly about these

in the search of elegant smell
lol

Last edited:

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

It's not just the smokiness of the Patchouli 24 but the soft vanilla drydown of the Kolnisch Juchten that makes them similar to me.

Wearing KJ today, I can discern the vanilla underneath, but it's not cupcake vanilla which I generally don't go for - it's more like the bean. Quite satisfying.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I enjoy the scent. Especially at the outset, it's big and bold and attention-getting. I still think it smells really related (at least at the start) to Bois du Portugal, which is fine. "Powerhouse 1980's Rich Man sipping scotch in a leather library at evening with the fire going" is entirely appropriate and necessary at times. I don't think it has the versatility for me to be an every day sort of thing, but in its element I do enjoy it.
I'm rather poor with examining a scent hours later unless I get a distinct whiff - just get caught up in the processes of the day.
I've found myself leaning strongly towards vetivers as a "signature" scent (TFGV is my current fav) although I've been searching for Sycomore. I was told the only Nordys that has it is the flagship store in Seattle because of the Chanel boutique inside it. Other than that I'll have to rely on e-commerce. Is it as good as reviews have proclaimed? It's on the top of my to-test list.

There should be a Chanel boutique in Vegas. Try that before hitting up e-commerce.

That said, Sycomore seems to have two faces: on some it's dry peppery smoky woody vetiver. On others it's sweet thick chewy green, so take our opinions with a grain of salt.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

what do you guys says for  L'air du dessert marocain and Musc ravageure.  people talks highly about these

I must insist that you do not blind-buy either one of those.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A*Men Pure Malt today.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today: Diptyque 34 Boulevard St. Germain

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today: Diptyque 34 Boulevard St. Germain

Enjoyed smelling this one at the counter ^^ What do you think?

**** yeah! Bought a bottle of it and find the smell and development very comforting. Good for foggy, overcast days.

I think the bottle design is great on it as well - one aspect of which is a magnetic cap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads