• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SotD: Guerlain - Après L'Ondée. Nice.

SotN: right arm TF - Violent Blonde. Very nice indeed.
left arm Guerlain - Angélique Noir. Meh, not really into angelica I guess.

Last edited:

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^
I''ve been looking for a bottle of apres l'ondee. Hard to find bargains.

wore eau d'hermes layered with madini ambergris. I think it really boosted the longevity, made a nice summery combo.

green bastard

Reaction score

what do you guys says for  L'air du dessert marocain and Musc ravageure.  people talks highly about these

I am delighted with Musc Ravageur, but have to agree with El Argentino. You have to try a sample before buying it, MR is nothing to buy blind. As I have not received my Tauer sample yet, I can not venture my opinion on L'air du dessert Marocain, but it is on its way. Anyway, does somebody know where I can buy the old flacon of it, apart from Basenotes etc.? Im am not fond of the new design.
26125572.jpg

Heeley: Sel Marin
Had a great syttende mai, weather was perfect. Sunny and bright, but not too warm. The ocean notes reminded me of Bygdøy.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Man, people on Basenotes LOVE Dior Fahrenheit . WTF??

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SOTEvening- T'erre d'Hermés. Gorgeous. Understanding the hype. EdP.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tonight I'm wearing the Bespoke scent I mentioned long ago, made by the Japanese lady who studied under Roudnitska. It was fun, and was affordable. It's a quite foul chypre, with lots of oakmoss and vetiver and a bit of incense. It's sort of Miss Dior meets CdG Kyoto with a brief rendenvous at eau d'hermes. It's fun, and I enjoyed working with her. I wouldn't do it again, though, just because a bespoke scent, in retrospect, I find a bit unnecessary. Bespoke jackets or bags? Sure. But, the great scents take you on an unexpected journey, and a bespoke scent will just take you where you want to go.

The scent is very "me," and exactly what I wanted, but after having it I realized that because it's so "me," it's actually hardly a surprise.

Last edited:

owin

Reaction score
Im going with bel ami hermes

good leather smell , fascinating at all

for fahrenheit my grandfather used it, my father used it even I had a bottle of it some time ago that's what classic means.

u may not like it but you cant say its bad i guess dont know

CodPiece

Reaction score
SOTD: T'erre d'Hermés
Yesterday too. Something in this minimalist scent makes it ever-changing and never ceases to amaze.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Man, people on Basenotes LOVE Dior Fahrenheit . WTF??

People on basenotes will lead you astray. The problem with basenotes in particular, and internet reviews in general, is that most of the raters/reviewers are either raving fans, or haters, or just want to hear themselves type. This is why blogs and sales sites and even Amazon can be troublesome. You can say the same for any number of scent sites (MUA, POL) and even this thread.

Coming to the earlier post about blind-buying LDDM or Musc Ravageur, those are both highly regarded, but even then - there are no 100% winners. Not even the 'classics'. I thought LDDM was nice but not essential, and MR I've never been motivated to try since I'm not a big musk/vanilla person.

BTW: funny enough, today I'm wearing a blind buy that worked out very well: Etro Shaal Nur. incense/vetiver/vanilla.

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Tonight I'm wearing the Bespoke scent I mentioned long ago, made by the Japanese lady who studied under Roudnitska. It was fun, and was affordable. It's a quite foul chypre, with lots of oakmoss and vetiver and a bit of incense. It's sort of Miss Dior meets CdG Kyoto with a brief rendenvous at eau d'hermes. It's fun, and I enjoyed working with her. I wouldn't do it again, though, just because a bespoke scent, in retrospect, I find a bit unnecessary. Bespoke jackets or bags? Sure. But, the great scents take you on an unexpected journey, and a bespoke scent will just take you where you want to go.

The scent is very "me," and exactly what I wanted, but after having it I realized that because it's so "me," it's actually hardly a surprise.

Finally!

Yeah, that's the thing, isn't it - that those smells pass fleetingly across your consciousness and it sparks you to go "what's that" but it's gone and you look for it again only to have it reappear three wearings later. With a bespoke that smell occurs (or does not because it was ME who ******* made it and I don't know what I'm doing) and your thoughts go "oh yeah, that's the clove I put in there."

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

BTW: funny enough, today I'm wearing a blind buy that worked out very well: Etro Shaal Nur. incense/vetiver/vanilla.

Shaal Nur really gives me the creeps. I know that's a weird thing to say about a fragrance, but something about the incense and all the resinous notes strikes me as extremely harsh and menacing. (I think the cool herbal notes might contribute to that impression too.) It's one of the very few fragrances that actually worsen my mood.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Shaal Nur really gives me the creeps. I know that's a weird thing to say about a fragrance, but something about the incense and all the resinous notes strikes me as extremely harsh and menacing. (I think the cool herbal notes might contribute to that impression too.) It's one of the very few fragrances that actually worsen my mood.

Interesting. I bought a bottle of Passage d'Enfer at deep discount and it evokes creepy memories and thoughts with its lily and wood quality that reminds me of funerals I attended as a child. :eh:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TFPB - Moss Breches. Really no clue what's not to like about it... Woody, warm, amber/vanilla/honey, slightly leathery and smoky.

Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Finally!
Yeah, that's the thing, isn't it - that those smells pass fleetingly across your consciousness and it sparks you to go "what's that" but it's gone and you look for it again only to have it reappear three wearings later. With a bespoke that smell occurs (or does not because it was ME who ******* made it and I don't know what I'm doing) and your thoughts go "oh yeah, that's the clove I put in there."

Exactly. It's definitely an unintended consequence of the whole process, and as such I'm glad I didn't waste $10k on it or something (truth be told, she usually charges around $500ish ((35-50,000 yen)) but we shared a lot of knowledge about scents and I also let her into my wine cooler and gave her some of my secret store of Dior Dior parfum ((long discontinued)) which was her favorite Roudnitska and one she hadn't been able to get for many years... so in her giddiness she gave me a discount and I got it for less than $100.)

Anyway, my "been there, done that, meh" review is: Bespoke parfumery fulfills a psychological desire, perhaps, but not a literal one. It SEEMS a perfect idea for a perfectionist, but in reality it contradicts the very thing you like about parfumery in the first place.

It's paradoxical... she almost did her job TOO well, and as such, I'm left with something that's a perfect fit for me, and smells exactly like what a perfect scent for me smells like. It's like finding the "perfect" woman/man for you. In theory, seems like the right idea, but be careful what you wish for. What REALLY makes them perfect is not that they fit everything with you to a tee... it's those little bits of difference, those unique moments of separation, the things that keep you GUESSING... that make it fun.

It's the elimination of that guesswork, removing all potential of a mistake, that we do bespoke anything... jackets, shirts, shoes. Probably exactly why we SHOULDN'T do it with parfumery.

SOTD will be Guerlain Herba Fresca, but I haven't spritzed it on yet (It's 5:00 in the morning in Japan, so let me have my coffee first.)

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today: Voyage d'Hermes Parfum

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.