• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my girlfriend has a bottle of L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzing!, which is absolutely great. She gave me her sample after she bought it. Recently she discovered there was chatter about the post Shiseido purchase of L'Artisan brand reformulating Dzing and the older clear bottles being the prior formulation. Naturally we got our hands on a sample of the old and it is slightly different. I bought her old bottle and she got her hands on the old. We are both happy, but yeah they are different. This stinks (pun intended)!

Oh man, haven't smelled Dzing in ages. That's the one with the "old books" lignin-vanilla vibe right? + some barnyardy leather? I remember it being pretty interesting the first time I had a big fragrance kick (probably 10 years ago now, reinvigorated in the last year after lengthy dormancy).

No one seems to talk about L'Artisan much anymore, they were hot hot hot back in the late aughts early 10s. I guess buyout + reform + price hikes will do that to you. But man, when was the last time you heard someone talking about how great Timbuktu was?

I've never smelled a Creed fragrance.

They're generally nice but (hot take) like most modern ultralux niche, basically entirely unnecessary verging on pointless given the wide availability of outstanding low-price options in current production, without even mentioning widely available vintage designer frags that are less expensive than new Creeds.

"Semi-vintage" Azzaro PH today, probably 2005ish so not true OG but still "middle" formulation. Jury still out on whether this was a pointless buy compared to my current-production bottle, my hope was for better longevity as I find the current 'refillable bottle' version pretty short-lived. Only put it on a few hours ago so will find out this evening if it sticks around longer. The current smells at minimum similar enough that it is very obviously Azzaro PH.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
People go nuts over Timbuktu. I don’t get it. I smell mostly cedar and geranium, nice but not interesting to me. Apparently that was heavily reformulated also, which is part of the issue. I like L’Artisan in general though.

I have to get my hands on some Azzaro.

harlequin782

Reaction score
Wearing MFK Amyris Homme...I find it very surprising that no one ever mentions the striking similarity to Creed Silver Mountain Water..could almost be a dupe, imo

Last edited:

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I picked up Timbuktu I made a point of getting some vintage (older octagonal bottle) off Ebay. Very well done and maybe almost dated now. Haven't worn it in about nine months, and haven't compared it to the modern formulation.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boom!...Friday bonus.

20200515_085009.jpg

20200515_085016.jpg

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bogart One Man Show Oud Edition today. Popular cheapie on Basenotes, I'd say it's a great value at $17 (easy to get it on eBay at those prices) but probably not at $75 (not that it costs that anywhere).

It's a decent synthetic oud-and-leather, with a little bit of sweetness to it. Good stuff for the price, probably better in the winter.

shoewarma

Reaction score
I'm wearing Timbuktu today actually. I have the older clear bottle and a decant of the reformulated, dark bottle version. I find the newer version to have more backbone than the original. The original is lighter and has a transparent quality. It's more vetiver forward with a bit of a sour mango/pineapple, whereas the new one has more of a woody papyrus kick on top of the vetiver, incense, and mango.

People go nuts over Timbuktu. I don’t get it. I smell mostly cedar and geranium, nice but not interesting to me. Apparently that was heavily reformulated also, which is part of the issue. I like L’Artisan in general though.

I have to get my hands on some Azzaro.
Fair enough. It's not a scent that makes me roll my eyes back every time, but I quite enjoy its subtlety and easygoing vibe. I'm currently waiting on a decant of Safran Troublant. Even though I'm not really into those pretty types of scents, I'm interested in its interpretation of the saffron note mainly. I've been on a quest to find some good saffron fragrances lately, and I'm looking forward to Safran Troublant. I got a decant of Aramis' Calligraphy Saffron (and Rose) yesterday, so I'll report on them later at some point.

When I picked up Timbuktu I made a point of getting some vintage (older octagonal bottle) off Ebay. Very well done and maybe almost dated now. Haven't worn it in about nine months, and haven't compared it to the modern formulation.
It's heptagonal, by the way. :cool:

I wouldn't call it dated. It smells a bit vintage to me. I personally don't wear it too often because it's too thin for my liking, but it's a nice change of pace.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, check out this lady's stash she is selling from Hawaii. It's a ******* museum of good stuff, holy hell!

Holy cow, it’s like a Caron museum! Several things there I havent seen for ages! Too bad there was no Alpona...

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@patrickBOOTH
I took your suggestion about Pinaud shave cream and tried it for the first time today. I was a bit underwhelmed, but I'll give it some time. Unless of course I got the wrong one...

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you guys be concerned about them coming from Hawaii? Probably havent exactly been stored in a cool, dark place...
Her Etsy store states everything is kept in AC controlled conditions. Also it stands to reason that anyone with that serious a collection is going to keep it protected. That must must be at least $100K of vintage juice.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads