• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you guys listened to the American Perfumer podcast? It is pretty good and new. Some guy in Tennessee that owns a shop interviews American Perfumers. I find him kind of annoying, but it is interesting to hear from these people. There's an interview with Christopher Brosius. Woooooof, kind of the most pretentious person on the planet. It was hard to listen to.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My mention of Givenchy III upthread had it on my mind, so vintage Givenchy III parfum is the SOTD. This stuff is magnificent. Bitter, bracing green top with a big slug of powdery galbanum, the heart has some white florals but not over the top, and a classic chypre base.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you guys listened to the American Perfumer podcast? It is pretty good and new. Some guy in Tennessee that owns a shop interviews American Perfumers. I find him kind of annoying, but it is interesting to hear from these people. There's an interview with Christopher Brosius. Woooooof, kind of the most pretentious person on the planet. It was hard to listen to.

Might check it out - I've listened to a few eps of Fume Chat, but find them a bit far afield from my tastes.

shoewarma

Reaction score
I've had YSL Rive Gauche on my mind today, so I just popped out of the shower and gave it a couple of sprays on my neck and inner elbows. It's a great fragrance, and what makes it great is how closely it resembles a typical shaving foam. I ditched the canned garbage close to 5 years ago when I got into wet shaving, but I can't say canned goo smells terrible.

Now obviously, comparing Rive Gauche to cheap drugstore shaving gel is a bit of an insult to it, but it doesn't smell like a high quality cream or soap either. The fragrance's generic shaving product smell is kind of why people love it, and it's strange how such a generic scent profile has become so revered and sought after by fragrance enthusiasts. It's also interesting how nobody has replicated something similar. Of course, the "barbershop" fragrance style has been done to death and there are many interpretations of it, but nothing like Rive Gauche exists on the market.

I don't wear it very often at all nowadays because it's so rare, but in all honestly, I kinda think it's not all that special. It is nice to be wearing a fragrance that smells extraordinarily similar to shaving foam, but this kind of shaving foam is the lowest common denominator. If I were to compare it to other shaving soaps I have, then I'd say a soap like Tabac is a much more distinct aroma with tons of character.

I have come to believe that Rive Gauche is a victim of hype, and the discontinuation exacerbated that, and I'm talking about the vintage bottle here. I'm lucky to have purchased this dirt cheap in Walmart back in 2013, so I'll hold on to it forever, but my reassessment of it has put things into perspective.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ordered some Jorum Studios samples from Ecuacion Natural. Trying trimerous (mostly iris) and medullary ray (fig, olive and woods). Both are wonderful, can’t stop smelling my wrists

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wearing Celine Dans Paris today. Very comforting, bright yet warm scent. Good mix of vanilla and some floral. Basically, reminds me of waking up and taking a walk through the Tuileries with a fresh baguette.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had YSL Rive Gauche on my mind today, so I just popped out of the shower and gave it a couple of sprays on my neck and inner elbows. It's a great fragrance, and what makes it great is how closely it resembles a typical shaving foam. I ditched the canned garbage close to 5 years ago when I got into wet shaving, but I can't say canned goo smells terrible.

Now obviously, comparing Rive Gauche to cheap drugstore shaving gel is a bit of an insult to it, but it doesn't smell like a high quality cream or soap either. The fragrance's generic shaving product smell is kind of why people love it, and it's strange how such a generic scent profile has become so revered and sought after by fragrance enthusiasts. It's also interesting how nobody has replicated something similar. Of course, the "barbershop" fragrance style has been done to death and there are many interpretations of it, but nothing like Rive Gauche exists on the market.

I don't wear it very often at all nowadays because it's so rare, but in all honestly, I kinda think it's not all that special. It is nice to be wearing a fragrance that smells extraordinarily similar to shaving foam, but this kind of shaving foam is the lowest common denominator. If I were to compare it to other shaving soaps I have, then I'd say a soap like Tabac is a much more distinct aroma with tons of character.

I have come to believe that Rive Gauche is a victim of hype, and the discontinuation exacerbated that, and I'm talking about the vintage bottle here. I'm lucky to have purchased this dirt cheap in Walmart back in 2013, so I'll hold on to it forever, but my reassessment of it has put things into perspective.

The circle of consumer fragrance life -- cheap-n-cheerful versions become ubiquitous in mass-market cosmetics, soap, shaving cream, etc. -- and then folks who grow up with those products smell the inspiration in that context.

My girlfriend has a similar reaction to a lot of classic aldehyde florals -- "smells like powder!" Well, the powder wants to smell like No. 5! I think RGpH is similar -- yes, it smells like Gillette, but the Gillette is trying to smell like Azzaro or Paco Rabanne. Whether that excuses smelling like powder, or shaving cream, is a different story; I like RGpH a lot personally but I get the point.

SOTD for me is 1990s Habit Rouge EdC. Not sure if my bottle has faded or if the concentration just "is what it is," but I think I might have to confess I like the current EdT better. This smells good (it's Habit Rouge, of course it does) but it's a little bit pale and wan. I suspect my expectations were overset by the Basenotes crowd, which seems to think the vintage EdC is the best expression of the scent. I like the power and density of the current EdT quite a lot, and like most Guerlain reforms I think it's been treated pretty well.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I find that mimosa often smells like "powder". I still have a hard time discerning "aldehydes" how most people describe them. I can tell when something is big on ISO-e-super, which is most designer stuff that I find repulsive.

I have on a sample of Malle's One Fleur de Cassie today. THIS is powder. Musky powder. I get violet, too. I really love it for this time of the year. I'll probably end up with a bottle eventually.

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
I’ve been wearing Antaeus a lot which was not a love at first but it really has grown on me. I always liked the first few hours, now I could live in it. Contrastingly I’ve been wearing Do Son EDP a bunch too.

has anyone sampled/own anything from Les Bains Guerbois? They caught my eye on the Premiere Avenue site. They use some master perfumers. Dominique Ropion, Fanny Bal, Duchaufour, Michel Almairac.The perfumes go through the historic years of the now hotel. It was a nightclub and a “spa” before that. Joy Division recorded that famous set there and they have classy bottles but will the scents be any good?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
antaeus Egoiste is the best fragrance ever created
FTFY. Jacques Polge, the nose behind both, has said that Egoiste is his favorite creation. I've loved it for over two decades. Sadly, my bottle is running out and the reformulation is not nearly as good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads